Sign in to follow this  
wolfgang1983

suction cup for portable satellite dish rain

I am based in New Zealand and I would like to know about nzsat portable satellite dish.

It came with a suction cup but I am not sure if could handle the side of the caravan and in the rain? I added image of the suction cup.

Thanks

IMG_20190316_192424.jpg

my advice is dont use a suction cup like that on the van sides or roof. It will distort the aluminium and you will end up with carbuncle bumps where the suction has pulled the side out.

It might work on GRP but again caravan sides are extremely thin, unlike a GRP boat or even a car and the suction could crack/craze the thin GRP skin

• Like 2

Theres also been problems with discolouration from suction cups, 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, matelodave said:

my advice is dont use a suction cup like that on the van sides or roof. It will distort the aluminium and you will end up with carbuncle bumps where the suction has pulled the side out.

It might work on GRP but again caravan sides are extremely thin, unlike a GRP boat or even a car and the suction could crack/craze the thin GRP skin

+ one     :goodpost:

• Like 1

Look on eBay or whatever and try to find a Konig lightweight tripod and attach the dish to that. It should work easily with 20-30m of cable which means you don't have to worry about parking under trees etc.

• Like 1

If it's the same type of suction mount dish sold in the UK, they work pretty well if you fix them to the car window or bonnet rather than the caravan, which is fine for a short stay if you don't need to keep going out in the towcar.

616FM++FGOL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

I started off with one of these "suitecase" type dishes but very quickly bought a tripod and 20m of co-ax cable.

It now sits on a short pole in my garden to providing Freesat to visiting caravan & camper friends!

Vin Blanc

Might be worth adding my 2 pence worth.  All of our suitcase dish kits have suction mounts for either vertical or horizontal surface. A window is generally ideal so long as it's a smooth and clean surface. Interestingly we were testing our Easyfind flat panel suitcase kit today just to be confident with the vertical mounting which proved to be good and powerful supporting the 3.1kg equipment. Personally I've never heard of mis-shapen after effects. Never once have we had that complaint throughout the years we've been supplying them?    

Darren.

• Like 2

Perhaps this “panel distortion” fear is yet another “Urban Myth” like you cannot pick up a pheasant if you hit one, but the car behind can, and “a policeman has to be wearing his cap in order to book you” 

Andy

46 minutes ago, Satgear said:

Might be worth adding my 2 pence worth.  All of our suitcase dish kits have suction mounts for either vertical or horizontal surface. A window is generally ideal so long as it's a smooth and clean surface. Interestingly we were testing our Easyfind flat panel suitcase kit today just to be confident with the vertical mounting which proved to be good and powerful supporting the 3.1kg equipment. Personally I've never heard of mis-shapen after effects. Never once have we had that complaint throughout the years we've been supplying them?    

Darren.

Some may remember my arrangement for an iBoost.  No damage, van Lunar with aluminium panels. 

iboost mount-1.jpg

There was a previous thread where some had problems with Kampa Limpets causing distortion on the sides of vans.

It the end it's entirely up to you but TBH I'd rather not risk it.  I'd be pretty well P'd off with a carbuncle or two on the van side because once there you can't get rid of them