Sign in to follow this  
steveraine

Affinity 554 rejected

Went to pickup our brand new Affintiy 554 today.  The silicone on the joints on the outside had gaps in it and the front panel had several marks on.

When  we went inside nearly every door had scratches on, the panels had scratches and gouges out of them and the cooker had a scratch across the front.

the dealer wanted to follow the normal process and do a snagging list, but we rejected the delivery of the van as we thought it was sub standard fare quality.

They’ve offered to repair / replace all the necessary parts but I’ve told them I’m not accepting that can and I want it replaced.  

Just wondering if anyone else had done this and what happened ?

• Like 1

Haven't done it. Well done I say, for having the bottle to do it. Have you still got your old one?

The Consumer Rights Act is the requisit legislation.

Quite correct well done you.  You have no responsibility to accept faulty goods.  That includes 

(a)fitness for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are usually supplied;

(b)appearance and finish;

(c)freedom from minor defects;

(d)safety;

(e)durability.  

Dealer needs to provide a van that fits in with these.  Or refund your money.

25 minutes ago, Ern said:

Haven't done it. Well done I say, for having the bottle to do it. Have you still got your old one?

Erm, yes didn’t hand our part ex over.  Sat in it now actually :-)

Apparently, Elddis won’t let them reject it but they have offered me another van (same model) so need to go and inspect that one.

people need to stop accepting sub standard output from these dealers / manufacturers.  It was annoying enough it for through the factory quality checks, but should never have got through the dealer PDI

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We now have the necessary support from the Consumer Credit act.

It’s difficult to walk away from a caravan you have set your heart on and eagerly anticipated the arrival of, but the only way the standard will improve is to reject vans which are not of an acceptable quality.

The maker should not send a van out in an un-acceptable condition, the dealer (who is the one taking your money and will suffer the most inconvenience with a rejected van) should be rejecting the van before you have even seen it.

Good on you!

Cheers

Keith

Edited by rslsys
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rslsys said:

We now have the necessary support from the Consumer Credit act.

It’s difficult to walk away from a caravan you have set your heart on and eagerly anticipated the arrival of, but the only way the standard will improve is to reject vans which are not of an acceptable quality.

The maker should not send a van out in an un-acceptable condition, the dealer (who is the one taking your money and will suffer the most inconvenience with a rejected van) should be rejecting the van before you have even seen it.

Good on you!

Cheers

Keth

So true.  Many if not most people think they are buying from the Manufacturer via their agent, the dealer.   Not True -  The dealer buys the van from the manufacturer and then sells it to you.  If you refuse it then the dealer is stuck with it unless the manufacturer accepts it back.  

The dealer should be ashamed even asking you to take the caravan in that state. There should not be silicone on the joints, it ought to be something like Sikaflex which does not set.

Hopefully the next caravan will be in new condition.

sadly this is a industry where by if you dont accept it,  maybe some unconspicuious person will.but even then that peson with the power of media will learn.and in the end everybody will learn to reject item of unsatisfactory quality. it may take a few years but folk will eventually cotton on to faulty goods.and the more we broadcast it the kwiker it will get about.

• Like 1

You have done right to reject it, if your instructions are to have it replaced, I would make a note of the VIN Number to ensure the dealer does not fix the rejected van and tells you that it is a fresh replacement 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, steveraine said:

Went to pickup our brand new Affintiy 554 today.  The silicone on the joints on the outside had gaps in it and the front panel had several marks on.

When  we went inside nearly every door had scratches on, the panels had scratches and gouges out of them and the cooker had a scratch across the front.

the dealer wanted to follow the normal process and do a snagging list, but we rejected the delivery of the van as we thought it was sub standard fare quality.

They’ve offered to repair / replace all the necessary parts but I’ve told them I’m not accepting that can and I want it replaced.  

Just wondering if anyone else had done this and what happened ?

Well done on standing your ground.  problem being is that they will sell that same caravan to another customer who may not be as astute as you in picking up faults.  If this is how a dealer presents a caravan to you after a PDI especially as the PDI is over and above the cost of the caravan, I would request a full refund and go elsewhere even if it means waiting until the 2019 models are available!

Someone we know went for new caravan and they saw problems with the one they looked at so she told them she wanted a different one, they assured her the caravan would be perfect when they picked it up, she said good but I don't want this one, the salesman gave assurances again, then his jaw dropped as she took out her phone and too a picture of the vin number on the window.

There was a bit of a delay getting another but it didn't have any problems :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul_B said:

Someone we know went for new caravan and they saw problems with the one they looked at so she told them she wanted a different one, they assured her the caravan would be perfect when they picked it up, she said good but I don't want this one, the salesman gave assurances again, then his jaw dropped as she took out her phone and too a picture of the vin number on the window.

There was a bit of a delay getting another but it didn't have any problems :)

That is worth remembering Paul

• Thanks 1

Its a sad reflection on the manufacturer that they let it leave the factory in the first place. Secondly the dealer should have sent it back immediately, not tried to fob it off on the customer.

Sounds like the old days of British Leyland!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Les Medes said:

That is worth remembering Paul

Good thinking...

geoff

I bought from new an Elddis Avante, at the first service, serious damp was found in the front caused by defective window seals, after sometime they were replaced under warranty, next service was brake problems with badly scored brake drums and again repaired under warranty, one wonders what next, so decided to sell and buy an Eriba.

Well it turned out the alternative van was a demonstrator model, although it was in a much better condition than our van.

ive got all the CRiS numbers of the vehicles so will be clear on which one we get.

I’ve offered to go right through the van to understand what they would do to put everything right, and then if it’s not to our satisfaction we will reject the van again.    Want to stay on the right side of Consumer act so allowing them the chance to rectify.

Ive looked at Elddis vans at another dealer and the exterior finishing off isn’t great.

D0173DC9-27B4-4990-A0C7-858BD65E084A.jpeg

17 hours ago, steveraine said:

Well it turned out the alternative van was a demonstrator model, although it was in a much better condition than our van.

ive got all the CRiS numbers of the vehicles so will be clear on which one we get.

I’ve offered to go right through the van to understand what they would do to put everything right, and then if it’s not to our satisfaction we will reject the van again.    Want to stay on the right side of Consumer act so allowing them the chance to rectify.

Ive looked at Elddis vans at another dealer and the exterior finishing off isn’t great.

I was under the impression that you had rejected the caravan?  You need to run away from this dealer as fast as possible and get all your money back.

Back in 2016 we were foolish enough to believe the dealer and 11 months later we still has issues and eventually rejected the caravan.  In the meantime every time we had an issue it was a 180 mile round trip and this was often as they had the caravan more than us.

We eventually bought again the same brand, but a 2018 model and of course a couple of minor issues easily resolved and are very happy with our new caravan.

My advice is to be very very careful because if the dealer tried to sell you a brand new caravan in such bad condition means that never did a PDI and have no concern for their customers.

Below are some pictures of a few faults.  When we handed back the caravan in Oct 2017 it still required over £4000 of repairs to be done and wife was all for giving up caravans!

Facia issue1.jpg

Sky light surround.jpg

Front panel.JPG

Seat issue1 06.06.2017.jpg

Facia issue1.jpg

Marks on window1.jpg

Door bubbling.jpg

Ceiling fascia board 07.04.2017.jpg

18 hours ago, steveraine said:

D0173DC9-27B4-4990-A0C7-858BD65E084A.jpeg

You were on the right side of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 when you first rejected it. When rejected within the first 30 days you are entitled to a full refund of all monies paid WITH NO OBLIGATION TO ALLOW REPAIRS. Only rejections made between 31 days and 6 months of delivery must have had one repair attempt allowed.

Elddis have no say in this. The CRA 2015 applies to the sales contract between you the purchaser and the dealer as the seller.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Dare we ask where abouts the dealer is situated.  There was long running thread about another Elddis being rejected back to a  dealer just south of the tyne

Edited by Benny65

27 minutes ago, Benny65 said:

Dare we ask where abouts the dealer is situated.  There was long running thread about another Elddis being rejected back to a  dealer just south of the tyne

It is further south, but still in the North East

1 hour ago, Legal Eagle said:

You were on the right side of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 when you first rejected it. When rejected within the first 30 days you are entitled to a full refund of all monies paid WITH NO OBLIGATION TO ALLOW REPAIRS. Only rejections made between 31 days and 6 months of delivery must have had one repair attempt allowed.

Elddis have no say in this. The CRA 2015 applies to the sales contract between you the purchaser and the dealer as the seller.

Thanks - we wanted to be fair but firm with the dealer.  They have now advised a new van will be coming from Elddis, just need to agree the timescales :-) 

New van to be supplied to the dealer within the next two weeks.

To be fair, the dealer has been amazing at getting this resolved.  I think the dealers need to be much tougher with the manufacturers if this is how they are supplying caravans.  I'll update with the next progress :-)

• Like 1