Sign in to follow this  
Gilliblutac

Warranty being transferred

Hi people needing help please. We are going to look at a 2016 caravan from a trade dealer and just wanting to check that what he said was true to me over the phone . He said that the caravan will have a years warranty from them but also some remaining transferable manufactures warranty. Now he said to me that for me to get the transferable warranty I have to send the caravan manufacturer  some paperwork and pay £35(I think he said) to get it transferred over to us... now just wanting to know if that is correct??? Please please help as to new to this. Thank you in advance 

You need confirmation direct from the caravan maker - brands vary on transferability.

Need to know which make of Caravan please?

Some don't have transferable warranties unless certain conditions have been met.

geoff

You will need to check the caravan as had dealer or approved service done each year and this sellers service will be acceptable to caravan maker in case you do a warranty claim.

1 hour ago, shipbroker said:

Need to know which make of Caravan please?

Some don't have transferable warranties unless certain conditions have been met.

geoff

Hi Geoff it’s a Bailey 2016 Ancona 4 platinum with full service history

13 minutes ago, Gilliblutac said:

Hi Geoff it’s a Bailey 2016 Ancona 4 platinum with full service history

We have dozens of Bailey owners here....they will be able to assist...my own Elddis is one of those that becomes complicated!

geoff

Yes, if you are buying a Bailey you can transfer any outstanding warranty for a charge. However the original warranty is three years of which Bailey cover two and the dealer stands the third (by which time all niggling faults should have been cleared). This dealer is only supplying what he would have done in the first place (assuming he was the original retailer) so it may not be worth going through that.

The Bailey body is covered for six years from new (which can be extended to 10 for a fee, or sometimes (as with our 2010 Peg 462) it is provided free when new. The body warranty is transferable and it may be that you have to transfer the original warranty to get the benefit of the body warranty. Bailey Customer Service (Darryl) will put you right.

HOWEVER: to keep ANY Bailey warranty running the caravan must have been serviced within +/- one month of the anniversary of the  ORIGINAL DATE OF SALE when new, not the anniversary of any other sale. So if you are getting it in April but the first (ex showroom) sale was 1st November then it must have been serviced in October or November every year since. If it has not been then any and all warranties attributable to Bailey are null and void.

Posted (edited)

Yes this is correct you can transfer the remaining Bailey warranty to yourself.  Most important is to make sure it is a valid warranty i.e. that all the conditions re servicing etc have been complied with.

See this link Page 3/4

https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/images/pdfs/1709_Touring Caravan Warranty Document.pdf

9 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Yes, if you are buying a Bailey you can transfer any outstanding warranty for a charge. However the original warranty is three years of which Bailey cover two and the dealer stands the third (by which time all niggling faults should have been cleared). This dealer is only supplying what he would have done in the first place (assuming he was the original retailer) so it may not be worth going through that.

The Bailey body is covered for six years from new (which can be extended to 10 for a fee, or sometimes (as with our 2010 Peg 462) it is provided free when new. The body warranty is transferable and it may be that you have to transfer the original warranty to get the benefit of the body warranty. Bailey Customer Service (Darryl) will put you right.

HOWEVER: to keep ANY Bailey warranty running the caravan must have been serviced within +/- one month of the anniversary of the  ORIGINAL DATE OF SALE when new, not the anniversary of any other sale. So if you are getting it in April but the first (ex showroom) sale was 1st November then it must have been serviced in October or November every year since. If it has not been then any and all warranties attributable to Bailey are null and void.

Sorry that is wrong.  Bailey have a 3 year Manufacturers warranty.  With the exception of the Micro Wave and Radio everything is covered for 2 years.  The third year is still comprehensive but the items are listed in the  warranty.  This third year is most certainly not down to the dealer.  The warranty is of course in addition to your legal rights, which are down to the dealer.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Under the sales of goods act a caravan must not have any large faults for a period of 6 years

so that part is covered

The warrantee is with the manufacturers not the dealer, just like Motorcars,

If the warrantee is longer than 6 years from new I really do not know I would have to look into it but it does sound unfair. 

‘Is a service is missed by a few months this will make no difference in the eye or the law though they may try to get out of it if there is a problem. If this happens pm me and I will give you my number to Talk you though what I did. 

If you have not serviced or damp tested for 6 months or more and the van is damp you are liable for the extra 6 months worth of damage, not easy to demonstrate but  commonsense comes into play.

The small claim court is a great help never be afraid of it. It has help me twice with caravan related problems 

James 

11 hours ago, Jcf1966 said:

Under the sales of goods act a caravan must not have any large faults for a period of 6 years

so that part is covered

The warrantee is with the manufacturers not the dealer, just like Motorcars,

If the warrantee is longer than 6 years from new I really do not know I would have to look into it but it does sound unfair. 

‘Is a service is missed by a few months this will make no difference in the eye or the law though they may try to get out of it if there is a problem. If this happens pm me and I will give you my number to Talk you though what I did. 

If you have not serviced or damp tested for 6 months or more and the van is damp you are liable for the extra 6 months worth of damage, not easy to demonstrate but  commonsense comes into play.

The small claim court is a great help never be afraid of it. It has help me twice with caravan related problems 

James 

Good advice but Sale of Goods Act does not apply in this case as it has been superseded by Consumer Rights Act 2015.  Warranty is between the dealer and the manufacturer and not between manufacturer and consumer.  Correct about missed service as no where in the CRA 2015 legislation does it indicate that the goods must be serviced annually or even regularly!

8 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Good advice but Sale of Goods Act does not apply in this case as it has been superseded by Consumer Rights Act 2015.  Warranty is between the dealer and the manufacturer and not between manufacturer and consumer.  Correct about missed service as no where in the CRA 2015 legislation does it indicate that the goods must be serviced annually or even regularly!

True enough. However, under the CRA  the dealer is only responsible for damage resulting from the inherent fault at time of sale. It can be argued that if the van had been serviced to schedule the damage would be limited(and this would need to be argued in court to establish a legal precedent) to the leak and damp, which only needs drying out and sealing, Any spreading of the damp and/or rot created by the damp would have been caused by the neglect rather than by the inherent fault.

Only time will tell, and only then if someone pushes a case all the way through the court process.

39 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

CRA is between consumer and dealer - warranty is ADDITIONAL to CRA and is between consumer and warranty provider

56 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

CRA is between consumer and dealer - warranty is ADDITIONAL to CRA and is between consumer and warranty provider

Nope warranty is between dealer and manufacturer as the consumer cannot claim from the manufacturer as the contract is between the supplier and the consumer!

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

You are correct my  apologies on the consumer rights act 2015 you get so use to saying sales of good act. 

A caravan is like a car the  manufacturers authorize payment for work to be done and they are the people that hold the warranty or guaranteed unless the  the dealer has sold you a policy. 

So if you sue it is always the  manufacturer. I have done this twice in connection with the caravan and it has always been the manufacture, the dealer has an involvement but they’re not the people you suing. My advice is always go for the managing director of the caravan company. Most of the time they just don’t wanna be bothered with it so you end up getting the repair. 

‘When it comes to cars the same thing. 6 years cover on all cars by law. 

James

31 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Nope warranty is between dealer and manufacturer as the consumer cannot claim from the manufacturer as the contract is between the supplier and the consumer!

Sorry NO I am not going to name the  manufacturer that I sued but it was the manufacturer not the place where I bought the caravan from. I got many thousands of pounds in compensation and they settled before going to court.

I have done the exact same thing on every car I have ever owned. Including 1700 pounds for a sat NAV system that failed in a VW Passat  that was just under 6 years old. 

James

3 minutes ago, Jcf1966 said:

You are correct my  apologies on the consumer rights act 2015 you get so use to saying sales of good act. 

A caravan is like a car the  manufacturers authorize payment for work to be done and they are the people that hold the warranty or guaranteed unless the  the dealer has sold you a policy. 

So if you sue it is always the  manufacturer. I have done this twice in connection with the caravan and it has always been the manufacture, the dealer has an involvement but they’re not the people you suing.

James

No, no , no - your contract is with the supplying dealer  and it is them that you sue  - not the manufacturer! :(

Posted (edited)

Your contract may be but your warrantee is NOT

if you buy a caravan and the dealer goes bust have you lose your warranty or do go to another dealer to have a repair 

if the warrantee is with the dealer why can you have your van serviced and warranted  elsewhere 

I am about to go 217 miles to buy a new caravan it will never go back the warrantee is with Hymer UK

They don’t want you to know this but it is true. 

A cut and past

A guarantee or warranty is a written statement given by the manufacturer or other company. The guarantee or warranty indicates that the manufacturer or other company will repair or replace an item within a set amount of time after it has been purchased

James 

Edited by Jcf1966

19 minutes ago, Jcf1966 said:

Your contract may be but your warrantee is NOT

if you buy a caravan and the dealer goes bust have you lose your warranty or do go to another dealer to have a repair 

if the warrantee is with the dealer why can you have your van serviced and warranted  elsewhere 

I am about to go 217 miles to buy a new caravan it will never go back the warrantee is with Hymer UK

They don’t want you to know this but it is true. 

A cut and past

A guarantee or warranty is a written statement given by the manufacturer or other company. The guarantee or warranty indicates that the manufacturer or other company will repair or replace an item within a set amount of time after it has been purchased

James 

Lets allow people to make their own mind up

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/when-can-i-use-a-manufacturers-warranty-or-guarantee#do-i-have-rights-in-addition-to-a-warranty-or-guarantee

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Indeed 

cut and past

The Consumer Rights Act gives you rights to make a claim for faulty goods for up to six years. So, if the manufacturer says you’re not eligible for a warranty repair, remember you still have rights to exercise.

I have started to sue or sued

1. Two caravan  manufacturers 

2. Three car manufactures

and a number of products including a service item. 

‘I have never lost. 

To make something clear.

if a dealer says it has a microwave and it doesn’t it’s the dealer

if the dealer says I will give you 20 years garrantee it’s the dealer

but a manufacturer says the van will last and it does not it’s the manufacturer

If you have double glazing and the firm goes you lose your guarantee your contract is with the company

The small claims court cost very little to nothing you can not be made to pay the others cost

It is a very useful tool 

If any one has a problem just PM me and I will gladly help out. 

If any any one wants advice on this subject just PM me

Edited by Jcf1966

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

The manufacturer's warranty repairs can be carried out at ANY workshop approved by the manufacturer, not just the selling dealer and not just franchised dealers.

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The manufacturer's warranty repairs can be carried out at ANY workshop approved by the manufacturer, not just the selling dealer and not just franchised dealers.

Only if the workshop agrees to do the work, they  are under no obligation to, nor can the manufacturer force them to do any work on a caravan they haven’t sold.

Steve is correct they do not need to do the work though they are being paid for it.  

I am picking up my new caravan on Thursday and the trip there is 217 miles. 

‘Not wanting to go back for a warranty claim I have looked into companies that do warrantee work

I say look into it I asked the place I have had work done in the past

In my case they do Hymer warrantee work and are more than happy to help if a problem comes up. 

If the dealer has gone bust or you just don’t like them there are companies who will deal with it. You could offer to stand  guarantor or pay for the work and wait to be paid yourself or even offer part payment (on a credit card) 

‘I understand the mobile  engineer after all he’s working to pay his mortgage and he can’t afford to wait other companies however can afford to wait and they used to doing the system.

It is well worth making a few phone calls asking them if they will deal with any problems if they come up

I do some time come over has being very hard, talking about small claim courts etc and I know I have the confidence to go all the way in such matters but this is the last resort and I understand a lot of people don’t want a fight. 

Compromise, understanding and being fair but understanding your rights and being firm is very important.

James 

It seems some people have no idea about the status of a warranty and are under the mistaken belief that the warranty is between the manufacturer and the consumer and not between the manufacturer and the supplier. 

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, a guarantee is an agreement given by a trader to a consumer, without any extra charge, to repair, replace or refund goods that do not meet the specifications set out in the guarantee. A guarantee is usually issued by the manufacturer of goods or by a trader that provides goods as part of a service - replacement windows, for instance. Generally, a guarantee provider undertakes to carry out free repairs, for a set period of time, for problems that can be attributed to manufacturing defects.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 states that if a guarantee provider offers a guarantee on goods supplied to consumers, the provider takes on a contractual obligation to honour the conditions set out in the guarantee. For example, if the guarantee provider refuses to repair goods as set out under the terms of the guarantee, you can take legal action against the provider of the guarantee for breach of contract. This could be claiming back the cost of repairs if you have had them carried out elsewhere.

The provider is the supplying dealer so not sure how any one can think that the manufacturer is involved?

See https://www.hants.gov.uk/business/tradingstandards/consumeradvice/goodsandservices/guarantees

Posted (edited)

Sorry Durbanite you are confusing things.

if a glazing company goes bust you lose your garantee that THEY gave to you and is correct 

But the warrantee on a caravan or a car is given from the manufacturer and they pay for the repair.

If you buy your 30k caravan and the dealer goes bust do you lose your warrantee. NO

because the manufacturer is the one giving the warranty so  responsibility  lies with them.

I will give you one Example minute. I understand for them doesn’t want name is been taken so I will not name the firms unless you want to PM me.

I bought a well-known caravan new

It was damp

I took it back to the dealer who repaired the caravan, 3 times. This could of been any  registered repairer

I went to pick it up and fresh damp was found

The Manufacturer was the one who was authorizing I’m paying for the repair of the dump.

I started to sue the manufacturer the manufacturer organized a full money refund +7000 pounds compensation.

warranties are different from a company  guarantee 

This is why I had a repaire done on a VW Passate  for £1700 on a car just under 6 years old I dealt with VW UK not Lookers

Repairs to my Jaguar have been though Jaguar UK not the dealer because I had the car serviced and worked on at a different dealer.

Also don’t forget to pat at least £101 on your credit card. 

I am sorry Durbanite but this is correct how do I know because I have done it a lot of times not just once. 

‘But hay if people what to just deal with dealers take there word for it fine. The amount they pay makes my claims much easier after all they would not want the information in the public domaine would they 

‘A cut and past

In most cases, automotive warranties are based on the vehicle identification number (VIN), and the warranty will be valid regardless of ownership. ... As a result, buying a used car with the remaining factory warranty should mean that you're covered under the same warranty as the old owner was.

The Factory Warranty NOT dealer warranty 

‘who gives you the warrantee the manufacturer  

James 

Edited by Jcf1966

The Contract of Sale is with the Retailer,
The Warranty is also a Contract in law and is both implied and explicit.
It is between the parties named in it and that is the Purchaser and the Manufacturer and is entirely separate from the Sales Contract.

If you are having difficulties with the retailer or if he has gone out of business you can then legally enforce the terms of guarantee with the manufacturer. Another course of redress may be through the finance company. If you have entered into any credit agreement or have paid by credit card then section 75 the Consumer Credit Act 1974 provides that the finance company is jointly liable for any breach of contract or misrepresentations made for purchases over £100 
Unquote

Look ok fellas this can go on  and on with people reading about double glazing firms or buying your kettle.

I am going to leave it here because it now need to be left.

If any one wants advice please just pm me so we don’t fill a forum with disagreements I will then tell you how I dealt with it.

it is very unlikely it would go to court because If they win you lost £50 or nothing now I think and if you win it will open up a  floodgate.

The very best of health to every one

James

• Like 1

James as much as I respect your input in this case I am sure that you are incorrect.  Are you saying that a governmental website has got it wrong? 

Maybe it was like that for the old SOGA when you claimed, but the CRA 2015 changed things considerably.  if you buy on finance then your contract is not with the dealer or the manufacturer but with the finance house as they are the supplier!  Therefore any disputes on warranty issues you would then take up with the finance house as they are the provider of the warranty and not the manufacturer.

We went through the warranty palaver when rejecting our caravan in 2017 so well aware of what can be done and what cannot be done.  We also had legal advise from a well respected consumer organisation, not CAB or Trading Standards!

Sign in to follow this