blondchaser

Garden section, any interest

Thought some of you property owners would like to share your expertise in a gairdning section ??

• Confused 1

I grow all bushes, climbers or perennials, so not much use ;)

We could maybe get Jim McColl tae gie us a few tips. :D

Gave up on the garden when we started caravanning years a,go! Our gardener pops in and tidies it as needed!

11 hours ago, PR1 said:

Gave up on the garden when we started caravanning years a,go! Our gardener pops in and tidies it as needed!

+1

Ian

I used to buy a few different packets of seeds, mix them up and scatter them over the flower beds. At the end of their flowering season I would collect a few seeds and mix them with some new packets and start again the following year.  I would rip out the old plants and compost them.  It made a really colourful scene and folk would comment on it. Now all I do is shrubs and a few spring flowers and cut everything back at the end of the summer. The garden is mostly lawn with some raised beds. I don't believe that intense gardening and caravanning mix, unless you have someone to look after it for you. 

In the garden areas in front we removed all plants and bushes and covered it with weed killer mats and then put a layer of stone on top.  However we have since planted a couple of rose bushes and have one or two pots with gardenias in them.  Less maintenance.

Still not sure on pruning back the rose bushes as the branches appear to go gangly and hang down when there are flowers on them.  Also have a grape vine in the back that we prune back every year.  Produces many bunches of black grapes however the grapes are rather small and not sweet.

I'd sooner spend time in the garden or allotment than go caravanning, there's nothing better for the soul than a cardio vascular workout in the garden........... except for fly fishing :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mow the grass when required anything else I just throw home and Bargain £2.99 wildflower seeds on the border and let nature take care of everything. 

So, no veg gardeners then ??

If you believe all the rubbish about food shortages after Brexit, then you should all be growing your own veg & fruit !!!!

Since Blond became ill, I have also had to become a flower gardener---complete foreign concept to me!!!  However, I have two types of flowers growing in front of the house, both in the shape of the house number---well chuffed.

43 minutes ago, blondchaser said:

If you believe all the rubbish about food shortages after Brexit, then you should all be growing your own veg & fruit !!!!

Since Blond became ill, I have also had to become a flower gardener---complete foreign concept to me!!!  However, I have two types of flowers growing in front of the house, both in the shape of the house number---well chuffed.

pictures needed !  :)

9 hours ago, blondchaser said:

From oily fingers to green fingers BC ... Outstanding.  Your in touch with your feminine side. Not meaning to be racist in case the CT Snowflakes take offence insinuating you have to be female to be a gerdiner. Love my "gerdin". Started knitting as find it very therapeutic . In the process in knitting a scarf for the Jolly Green Giant ....

GAS ....;)

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Started knitting as find it very therapeutic .

Grown men (and women) have been reduced to tears in the past trying to teach me to knit. I could manage the holes between stitches but could never join the holes together 

Edited by Easy T
  • Haha 2

I like my veg, the sprouts are now about 3" high after repotting in the greenhouse, the onions seedlings are about 6 inch high, also in the greenhouse is the orange and lemon trees along with the Inca plant (Physalis Peruviana) which has supplied me with berries every time I enter the greenhouse through the winter months, also a selection of cuttings, especially Lemon Verbena as I use it a lot in cooking and summer drinks :)

The T.Rex and the pollarded Paulownia (used as a screen on the allotment) are showing signs of life too.  Also in the allotment the broad beans are flowering, the late sown beetroot is ready:) under its debris netting frost cover, the early beetroot is showing its head, again under debris netting and I've been eating the forced rhubarb for over a month.  The purple sprouting is in abundance as are the late sprouts and the kale :)

The flower garden is also looking good 

As for knitting,

The mrs seems to be full time knitting traffic light hats and white mitts for the hospital nurseries.

Should have a knitting section for GAS  :unsure:

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:19, PR1 said:

+1

Mrs. J busy knitting all kinds of stuff ready for imminent arrival of No3 grand sprogg. I find it best not ask!!

I have 3 veg plots and some assorted plants so not quite living off the grid yet but I do get quite a few veg for very little effort.

I am a keen veg grower, tatties ,swedes,carrots,leeks,beetroot,peas,beans,onions,sprouts,cabbage, cauli,etc, and of course the other halfs favourite strawberries. An electronic timer takes care of the watering while we are away and the rabbits around here seem to have been wiped out of so thats one problem less to worry aboot. As far as flowers go I stick to begonias as they seem to be bomb proof and can take care of themselves. I find it good exercise and very relaxing and will be spending more time doing when I am no longer able to tour with the van. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

From oily fingers to green fingers BC ... Outstanding.  Your in touch with your feminine side. Not meaning to be racist in case the CT Snowflakes take offence insinuating you have to be female to be a gerdiner. Love my "gerdin". Started knitting as find it very therapeutic . In the process in knitting a scarf for the Jolly Green Giant ....

GAS ....;)

Naw, naw, I;m talking about a gairdning section, no a knitting section on CT. When are you getting a knitting machine ???

Don't you find being a member of CT therapeutic ?????

In that vein, I'm waiting for the moderators to allow a short topic on-----B

Edited by blondchaser