Sign in to follow this  
greensmith

12v 10w mr11 to led

changing 6 of these bulbs in our van, i know what led's we want, but just wondered if anyone has changed their halogen bulbs to led's and what difference there is to the glow from the bulbs

thanks phil 

LED's generally give a whiter, harsher, more clinical light.

There are "warm white" options but I still think they are harsh

(This doesn't actually bother me though)

16 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

LED's generally give a whiter, harsher, more clinical light.

There are "warm white" options but I still think they are harsh

(This doesn't actually bother me though)

I would have to disagree if you choose 'warm white' LED's theyre pretty much the same as normal bulbs. The 'Cool White' or 'White' LED's do give the sort of light you mention, quite harsh, clinical etc. 

• Like 1

I made the mistake of "buying cheap" when converting the whole MH to LED lighting. Some months later I was replacing the LEDs with standard lamps again, and they are still there some years later. The cheap LEDs got dimmer and dimmer over the weeks and eventually failed completely. When they were working the light was more directional than a filament lamp, giving focused light and dark patches around the 'van. 

My conclusion: If you're going to change to LEDs, buy the best quality you can afford and avoid the clinical white ones completely but be aware that even those described as "warm white" are not as "welcoming " as a standard filament lamp. 

The advantage of course of LEDs is that they consume much less power, and do not get anywhere near as hot as filament lamps (particularly halogen ones).

Many LEDS, particularly  cheap ones, are rated at 12v. These do not get on well with the 13+v given out by a typical caravan PSU.

Better LEDs are rated at 10-30v, these are the ones to buy.

Always buy my LED bulbs from eBay for years and never had any issues .

Dave

I have warm white for background light and white for reading lamps, I went for 10v to 30v LEDs although they did cost a bit more,  I believe John fitted a rectifier in circuit.

16 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I would have to disagree if you choose 'warm white' LED's theyre pretty much the same as normal bulbs. The 'Cool White' or 'White' LED's do give the sort of light you mention, quite harsh, clinical etc. 

Exactly, and you can go further still down the temperature range to "very warm white" (around 1800k) these move towards the orangey glow of older sodium street lamp. We have a couple dotted around the house to give a warm background glow. 

I have found the warm white LEDs give very much the same colour temperature as filament lamps and in fact are brighter than the equivalent lamp, more light, less power = good result. I have purchased all of mine from eBay or dare I say it, directly from China with excellent results.

just fitted them in the caravan, they give off a much better light than what was in there, not over bright and give off a nice glow, better than the assortment of bulbs that was in there, 3 normal bulbs and 3 what looked like car side light bulbs

phil

1 hour ago, greensmith said:

just fitted them in the caravan, they give off a much better light than what was in there, not over bright and give off a nice glow, better than the assortment of bulbs that was in there, 3 normal bulbs and 3 what looked like car side light bulbs

phil

Well done that man and very worthwhile.

AJG

Been searching for a while for LED replacements for ours, looks like I have now found a solution  - well done chaps 😀