SimonT

Exchanged Camping Gaz 907 and got Butsir bottle

Last year in Spain I exchanged a Camping Gaz 907 cylinder at a campsite. I didn't really take much notice at the time, but the new cylinder was a Butsir branded cylinder. We had moved on to another site before I noticed and considered  the implications. Now back in the UK I have asked at one gas distributor and they would not exchange it. Has anyone else encountered this problem?  It seems that a 907 cylinder is not always Camping Gaz!  I am going to try a couple of other gas distributors, but it seems the bottle is only of any use in Spain!  The reason I have a Camping Gaz bottle at all is because they are supposed to be available all over Europe but if it gets swapped for another make, then it is pointless. It would seem that you need to make sure any replacement is branded Camping Gaz.

17 hours ago, SimonT said:

It would seem that you need to make sure any replacement is branded Camping Gaz.

Or simply take enough gas with you at the start of the trip from Blighty.

We carry two 6kg propane cylinders from home but even on longer trips abroad lasting a number of weeks in the summer never emptied the first one, so with hindsight (the best diagnostic tool out there) I realised needn't really have carried a spare cylinder at all. Like you for our first trips abroad we also carried a 907 Gaz cylinder and regulator as a backup but stopped this after bringing this well travelled cylinder back each time, unused.

Butsir Gas - 907.jpg

Don't be guided by the colour as sometimes you'll find propane in blue Butsir cylinders (labelled Propano).

Since moving over to a motorhome some years back, they have had installed onboard gas cylinders and so we can legitimately refill from Autogas outlets.

As far as Butsir goes, I suggest you have little choice but to look for a replacement Gaz cylinder on your next trip south.

If you Google Butsir 907 you get a picture of a Camping gaz cylinder! 

geoff

5 hours ago, shipbroker said:

If you Google Butsir 907 you get a picture of a Camping gaz cylinder! 

geoff

Indeed you do. But have not been able to exchange it here though!

6 hours ago, Gordon said:

As far as Butsir goes, I suggest you have little choice but to look for a replacement Gaz cylinder on your next trip south.

So far I think you are right.

Builders merchants sell Butsir fires with the cartridge type cylinders.......but agree not your larger one!

geoff