MGBGTV8

Speeding in France

Posted (edited)

Be warned, The French authorities are sending out fines to people living in the UK who get caught speeding in France.

people who got caught in September are receiving the notifications now. the fine is about 45 pounds which has to be payed 

within a certain time or the fine goes up.

Edited by MGBGTV8

After that amount of time I am sure that the time limit has expired and they cannot prosecute.  Probably a scam?

It was stated that they knew they flashed the camera.

Posted (edited)

Not paying a fine can result in court appearance and if the fine is not paid can result to imprisonment .

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/what-is-the-EU-cross-border-enforcement-directive/

https://ec.europa.EU/transport/media/news/road-safety-cross-border-information-exchange_en

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

51 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

If you in the UK how can you appear in court on a traffic charge in an EU country.  You need to be in that EU country for them to prosecute and to appear in court.  I am not condoning speeding but pointing out the obvious.  

Secondly if they are going to prosecute through the court in an EU country, I feel certain that the driver should have received the ticket within 30 days and not nearly 6 months later as that will probably never stand up in any court of law.

I remember when working for a firm of solicitors, one of them had been away on holiday and he'd received a parking ticket a couple of weeks later.  It came with a photo and was posted from San Francisco, USA:lol:.  He paid up as he said he would be going back to the US on holiday, and knowing the Yanks, they will have it on his record that he'd not paid, so could catch him out

17 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

I remember when working for a firm of solicitors, one of them had been away on holiday and he'd received a parking ticket a couple of weeks later.  It came with a photo and was posted from San Francisco, USA:lol:.  He paid up as he said he would be going back to the US on holiday, and knowing the Yanks, they will have it on his record that he'd not paid, so could catch him out

I thinks that that is now the biggest danger - you stand a better than even chance of getting caught if you go back.

You'd probably have been OK if you just had to flash your passport but if it gets to the stage where you need a visa or permit or your passport gets closer scrutiny or gets scanned then you are likely to be identified. I dunno if the Europeans will be as draconian as the Yanks can be but I'd be a bit wary about ignoring it.

Is there not a time limit? 

I thought they had to notify you within 28 days. I've got off of two where they just took too long to get back ince i admitted i was the driver. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

If you in the UK how can you appear in court on a traffic charge in an EU country. 

Simply get on a plane, train or drive? It is not that you can't attend, anymore than say I can't attend in Yorkshire as I live in Hampshire, just a pain to do so.

I feel certain that the driver should have received the ticket within 30 days and not nearly 6 months later as that will probably never stand up in any court of law.

Is the EU's notice timescale 30 days?  The UK's is no more than 14 days to receive the notice of an intention to prosecute, with then the option of identifying the driver.

Edited by JTQ

Posted (edited)

The rules are French and our rules on the number of days don't apply . Your usually lucky you get the chance to pay the fine as usually by the time comes through it is a court summons to appear in French courts .

This comes up occasionally on other forums that members have been abroad and the fine has been sent to their address and not paid as still away and then a court summons issued .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Interesting article on this "One way Law"

https://www.itv.com/news/2017-01-26/uk-drivers-who-speed-in-the-eu-to-be-fined-under-one-way-law/

Also read that according to the Italian Traffic Code, the police have 360 days after receiving identification of the driver of the vehicle from the DVLA, within which to notify foreign drivers of the fine.

10 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2017-01-26/uk-drivers-who-speed-in-the-EU-to-be-fined-under-one-way-law/

Also read that according to the Italian Traffic Code, the police have 360 days after receiving identification of the driver of the vehicle from the DVLA, within which to notify foreign drivers of the fine.

As UK requires them to contact the "Owner"  with an intention to prosecute notice within 14 days of the offence, it looks that on the practicalities of doing that it can only be a one way system.

So, keep to the speed limits and there is no problem or is that too obvious a solution?

Talking of speeding cars, I would support legislation that decreed that every 'go faster' exhaust that was sold came with an automatic 2 points onto the buyers driving licence.

48 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2017-01-26/uk-drivers-who-speed-in-the-EU-to-be-fined-under-one-way-law/

That is correct. In May last year I received a ticket from Italy based on an alleged traffic offence committed in June of the previous year. Following an enquiry with the legal department of the automobile club I was advised to pay so as not to risk further prosecution.

4 minutes ago, Lutz said:

That is correct. In May last year I received a ticket from Italy based on an alleged traffic offence committed in June of the previous year. Following an enquiry with the legal department of the automobile club I was advised to pay so as not to risk further prosecution.

I had exactly the same experience in Sicily two years ago.

Took legal advice, grit teeth and pay up.

there is a very easy way not to have to pay the fine and not to have to attend court.

and that is dont speed in the first place

phil

3 minutes ago, greensmith said:

there is a very easy way not to have to pay the fine and not to have to attend court.

phil

It wasn't a speeding offence that I was supposed to have committed. Apparently I drove down a street open to local residents only.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Lutz said:

It wasn't a speeding offence that I was supposed to have committed. Apparently I drove down a street open to local residents only.

The title of this topic is (speeding in france) not for one second did i mention anyone,  all i said was a way to avoid a fine or court is not to speed in the first place, simple as that and the truth.

i was replying to the topic, not anyone else

phil

Edited by greensmith
  • Like 1

Here is a slightly different method of traffic enforcement that I've just come across today.

I'm in Jeddah at the moment working, although I'm based in a hotel (delivering training) my host wanted to take me to see a new facility where the guys I'm training will be working, this involved a 30 minutes drive across the city. 

I noticed what I thought were traffic cameras, although they were not the hi-viz devices we see in the UK, they were drab grey boxes that blended in with the background, but my host confirmed that they were indeed cameras, some for speeding and others for red lights.

If you drive a car in the city your car and driver details are inked and you have to have a contact telephone number on record. Apparently, 99.9% of people have a mobile registered against their licence and car registrations. If you activate a traffic camera then you receive a text notification of the impending fine within 30 minutes; you then have just days to pay it, online payments are gratefully received by the authorities to make it easy.

Traffic law enforcement here is a little different to back home. Unlike at home, there are plenty of Police to be seen on the roads, they're armed (obviously) and apparently, most of them missed out on Swiss finishing school so they are not known for their polite small Talk when dealing with traffic stops.  I wonder if there is something to be said for this rather more speedy and direct approach.  Most people do pay fines promptly because if they don't they'll either find themselves on the wrong side of a 'random' traffic stop or the next time they try to take a flight they'll be pulled in when they present their licence as i/d at the airport. 

Question: how do you pay a fine in Euros? IMSMC they don't accept credit cards so do you send cash?

8 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Question: how do you pay a fine in Euros? IMSMC they don't accept credit cards so do you send cash?

In France and from the UK you pay online.

25 minutes ago, MGBGTV8 said:

In France and from the UK you pay online.

Same in Italy. I paid the Italian fine online using my credit card while on holiday in Spain (my daughter notified me after she went through my mail back home).

15 hours ago, greensmith said:

phil

That may be correct but how would you know if you were genuinely caught speeding and that it was not a made up ticket?  An American friend of mind received a speeding ticket to his USA address via the hire car company however it turned out to be a scam.  What alerted him was the fact that although they had driven on that road the time stamp was wrong and way out.  As said I am not condoning speeding and if the ticket is justified then pay it, but getting the ticket several months later is not on.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Lutz said:

The one catching people out in France is if the town's near caravan and motorhome sites and aires fed up with the traffic and they have put up 3.5 limit signs meaning majority of people with caravans and motorhomes are suppose to make alternative route so they don't drive through the town and police will issue fines .

Not paying a fine you might find in few years and we all need 3 year electronic security permits introduced to travel in Europe and when they check records are you might find your application refused ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

12 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

The one catching people out in France is if the town's near caravan and motorhome sites and aires fed up with the traffic and they have put up 3.5 limit signs meaning majority of people with caravans and motorhomes are suppose to make alternative route so they don't drive through the town and police will issue fines .

Not paying a fine you might find in few years and we all need 3 year electronic security permits introduced to travel in Europe and when they check records are you might find your application refused ?

Dave

I was under the impression that the 3.5 tonne limit applies to each vehicle individually, not to the complete combination.