Sign in to follow this  
Cara01

Hello and parking a caravan!

1 hour ago, peterjohn said:

Frank, don’t be so silly, there is no comparison, no need for comments like that👿...Peter

Perfectly appropriate - there is risk in almost anything and writing a dissertation is OTT. 

As said before, if people want one then great but it’s fine if you don’t - if I had a big caravan then there’s a chance I would have one but I don’t, and it doesn’t cause me an issue.

1 hour ago, Paul_B said:

It's better being safe than sorry Frank, and oops wont do much good if the caravan hits a bollard or worse still a child that goes to retrieve a ball.

All avoided with a bit of planning when you get to your pitch.

1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Have you never heard the screaming and shouting going on when communication between husband and wife when reversing onto a pitch? Latency, unclear instructions etc all cause issues. Having a mover makes it dramatically safer for sure, it's not about ability reversing, it's about common sense being able to clearly see where youre going which you cant do from the driving seat.

It does happen, if you don’t check your pitch out when you get there.

I dunno, perhaps many other people lack the ability to plan and have spacial awareness?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FrankBullet said:

Perfectly appropriate - there is risk in almost anything and writing a dissertation is OTT. 

As said before, if people want one then great but it’s fine if you don’t - if I had a big caravan then there’s a chance I would have one but I don’t, and it doesn’t cause me an issue.

All avoided with a bit of planning when you get to your pitch.

Oh Dear when confidence exceeds ability it's usually expensive :D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Oh Dear when confidence exceeds ability it's usually expensive :D

Not at all, plan it out and be happy to regularly stop and check.

More than happy to regroup if I need to as well.

Seen plenty of vans with motor movers on that look like Top Gear have got to them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Not at all, plan it out and be happy to regularly stop and check.

More than happy to regroup if I need to as well.

Seen plenty of vans with motor movers on that look like Top Gear have got to them.

So how exactly do you see behind your caravan whilst reversing onto a pitch?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check it first, Mrs FB keeps an eyes out - job jobbed

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Exactly, safer with a mover, the only way the driver can see directly whilst pitching up. ALL other ways are not as safe hence the comments from Jcf1966. His risk assessment is clearly spot on.

Edited by AJGalaxy2012
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Exactly, safer with a mover, the only way the driver can see directly whilst pitching up. ALL other ways are not as safe hence the comments from Jcf1966. His risk assessment is clearly spot on.

Yup, and I wonder how he makes sure it’s safe to get out of bed...or drive his outfit on the public highway....and so we continue.

• Like 1

I suggest some on here go and watch HGV’s parking at motorway services, not a motor mover in sight....

1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:

Same here, as long as my wife can see me and I can see her, we’re all safe and sound. Similarly if others want to use a mover, fine.

When on my own and reversing on to a pitch, I often get out of the car to check its position and do not try to get it parked in one go so have never hit anything. When there are 2 of us I still have to do this but maybe not as many times.

Maybe a difference with HGV drivers is they are trained/qualified and park every day as opposed to a caravan a few times a year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

I’d hate to see your risk assessment for crossing the road...or getting out of bed.

Wow what a stupid statement. 

If you are trying to be funny ok but it may be worth saying so because the person asking the question may not understand your  sarcasm 

Now back to topic and “moving the caravan” no one can disagree safty must come first particularly for a new caravaner 

And yes we were on holiday and on a site a caravan  jackknifed crushing the lady underneath it she was very seriously hurt

the ironic thing was the driver had a motor mover but decided to reverse because he had done it that way for years. It happened on a caravan club site so plenty of room on each pitch. 

To be fair Frank you are free to do as you wish and I do not wish to change that I was answering the question and if you disagree with it then you should not be giving advice to new caravaners because it just may hurt some one. 

James  

Edited by Jcf1966
  • Thanks 2

Some of you lot could start an argument in an empty room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jcf1966 said:

Wow what a stupid statement. 

If you are trying to be funny ok but it may be worth saying so because the person asking the question may not understand your  sarcasm

Nope.

It is a personal choice - not for a moment would I criticise anyone for using a motor mover but the over dramatic representation in your post does need reigning in to planet reality.

As said, if I end up with a heavier van we may get one fitted but the assumption of ‘need’ irrespective of anything else is absolute rubbish.

• Like 1

I agree Gary and it is why I come and go from this site. 

‘I only replied to this post because of experienced owners giving advice as though the question came from an experienced caravaner when it clearly does not. This is not a question about what caravan or what colour it is a matter of safety and that matter a lot to me. 

‘I do agree Garry the problem with arguments is it  undermines the very purpose of the forum 

James 

1 minute ago, FrankBullet said:

Nope.

It is a personal choice - not for a moment would I criticise anyone for using a motor mover but the over dramatic representation in your post does need reigning in to planet reality.

As said, if I end up with a heavier van we may get one fitted but the assumption of ‘need’ irrespective of anything else is absolute rubbish.

Planet reality really, kindly explaine where I was wrong to give that advice to a new caravaner 

You did not give advice you just said what you like to do. That is fine for you but not advice to a newbie 

James 

• Thanks 1

JCF1966 has a fair point. The o.p. asked a question as a newbie, I answered as an experienced caravanner who spent years reversing the van on the car, until the motor mover came along and I got older and the driveway was steep and near to the house. The o.p.s house looked similar to mine so I advised he get a motor mover to help him. We didn’t need someone else to come along to brag about how good his caravan reversing was because quite frankly, it didn’t apply in his case.

My wife does not gesticulate meaninglessly behind the caravan as most wives do when they haven’t got a mover, the van gets sited properly first time and we are both happy. 

You may carry on doing your own thing until eventually, one day, you end up in a sticky situation or you hurt somebody because of your cavalier attitude towards safety, which after all is what this is really about....Peter

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Jcf1966 said:

Planet reality really, kindly explaine where I was wrong to give that advice to a new caravaner 

You did not give advice you just said what you like to do. That is fine for you but not advice to a newbie 

James 

It’s very simple really, and I am sorry you don’t understand - your interpretation of risk is just that, an interpretation - you are welcome to it of course but please do not project this as ‘a’ stated reality as many others have different experiences; I’ve made it clear on numerous occasions that a motor mover might suit but it is not default essential.

That you think so is your opinion, which you are entitled to, but of course you are wrong.

I was a ‘newbie’ and my caravan is still in one piece...

Edited by FrankBullet
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

But here’s the thing Frank

I am far more qualified than you both in driving and towing and parking. 

‘How do I know because you would not give a newbie the advice you are giving and you have no training or teaching to aid you. I do.

I really do not mean to insult you I don’t but this is a new caravaner who need advice. 

‘My interpretation is based on  fact and reality.  As far as I am aware no motor mover has hurt some one or damaged a van (possible) but reversing has. 

Just two principles of Road Craft

observations

hazard management 

James 

Edited by Jcf1966

Good for you, but it is only a view no more or less.

Anyone that want to buy a motor mover - crack on and be happy. The don’t have one and don’t currently need one - might do one day though.

• Like 1

To Cara

i am going to let this go now but please take this advice from a person with expirance in teaching drivers 

what do you what to take a risk and try and reverse, if this goes wrong it will be very expensive 

or take the easy roughy with less risk

from Caravan Gard insurance 

Iisting the most popular insurance claims, the first 4 are all something hitting the caravan 

Number 5: Back panels

Our claims data revealed the fifth most accident prone part of a caravan to be back panels which, with claims involving rear panel damage costing £2758 to repair.

Claims of this nature have typically included instances where customers have accidently hit something when reversing or when a third party has run into them. 

(Those people would all tell you to reverse been doing it for years)

Number 6: Front panels

Lamp posts, railings, fences and even wheel bins have all found themselves etched into front panels, our claims statistics also revealed, so remember to be extra vigilant when towing in tight spaces. (Motor Mover makes this easier)

Caravan Guard Claims Liaison Manager, Nicola, reveals another reason why panel damage is so common: “As well as hearing from customers who have scuffed side panels when parking up and manoeuvring, we also hear from policyholders whose awnings have caused damage to the caravan’s front panels during high winds and storms.

I am sorry Frank I don’t want to fall out the last post did not sound good but I need to get the point over even the insurance companies agree with me.

I am picking up my new caravan in the next few days just under 40K but my insurance new for old is £235 as well as tracker and locks they gave a large discount because of my driving qualifications I think that is the first time lol

Anyway Frank and to all I wish you a very good night and happy caravaning 

James 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

What a shame! This thread was started by a new member/caravanner asking advice from a group of mature caravanners. Wasn't the question about parking in a front of  house?  

Edited by Ern
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jcf1966 said:

To Cara

i am going to let this go now but please take this advice from a person with expirance in teaching drivers 

what do you what to take a risk and try and reverse, if this goes wrong it will be very expensive 

or take the easy roughy with less risk

from Caravan Gard insurance 

Iisting the most popular insurance claims, the first 4 are all something hitting the caravan 

Number 5: Back panels

Our claims data revealed the fifth most accident prone part of a caravan to be back panels which, with claims involving rear panel damage costing £2758 to repair.

Claims of this nature have typically included instances where customers have accidently hit something when reversing or when a third party has run into them. 

(Those people would all tell you to reverse been doing it for years)

Number 6: Front panels

Lamp posts, railings, fences and even wheel bins have all found themselves etched into front panels, our claims statistics also revealed, so remember to be extra vigilant when towing in tight spaces. (Motor Mover makes this easier)

Caravan Guard Claims Liaison Manager, Nicola, reveals another reason why panel damage is so common: “As well as hearing from customers who have scuffed side panels when parking up and manoeuvring, we also hear from policyholders whose awnings have caused damage to the caravan’s front panels during high winds and storms.

I am sorry Frank I don’t want to fall out the last post did not sound good but I need to get the point over even the insurance companies agree with me.

I am picking up my new caravan in the next few days just under 40K but my insurance new for old is £235 as well as tracker and locks they gave a large discount because of my driving qualifications I think that is the first time lol

Anyway Frank and to all I wish you a very good night and happy caravaning 

James 

So you were given a large discount on your insurance because of your advanced driving qualifications, and for locks and a tracker, could I ask if you were given a specific  discount for having motor movers fitted?

Presumably if insurers considered reversing to be a significant extra risk, and that the use of movers considerably reduces that risk, as you would seem to imply, then they would either insist that movers are fitted, or offer a substantial discount if they are fitted. This is not the case as far as I'm aware.   

Edited by Weekend Traveller

Can we get back to trying to help and advise rather than trying to start arguments............….again 

James has offered good advise in the past and he's worth listening to

however whether you agree or not lets not fall out over it :)

Our caravan insurance has a list of discounts. You can get a discount for manoeuvring courses but there is no discount for a motor mover and that tells me that the insurance company don't think it reduces any damage.

We don't have one. I can certainly see the benefits of having one especially when I want to pitch with the hitch away from the road but so far I've not considered it worth the expense and weight.

If I was the OP I would buy the caravan without the mover and see if it works to park without if. If not go and buy a mover.

10 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Some of you lot could start an argument in an empty room.

Yer right Gary every Post or Comment gets dissected until they find something to disagree with. Seems to be the way with everything in life and CT ! 

GAS ... 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

I suggest some on here go and watch HGV’s parking at motorway services, not a motor mover in sight....

Same here, as long as my wife can see me and I can see her, we’re all safe and sound. Similarly if others want to use a mover, fine.

However the difference is that a HGV driver is doing it daily as part of their job and has undergone the appropriate training and normally has a lot of room to manoeuvre.    A person with a caravan is only doing it now and then and in a confined area i.e. site roadway.

I wonder how many of those have used sites on the continent as that is what made us decide to get an AWD motor mover which can go up raise kerbs and onto sloping pitches or pitches that are higher than the road way.

Edited by Durbanite

2 hours ago, Weekend Traveller said:

So you were given a large discount on your insurance because of your advanced driving qualifications, and for locks and a tracker, could I ask if you were given a specific  discount for having motor movers fitted?

Presumably if insurers considered reversing to be a significant extra risk, and that the use of movers considerably reduces that risk, as you would seem to imply, then they would either insist that movers are fitted, or offer a substantial discount if they are fitted. This is not the case as far as I'm aware.   

I know the question was asked I can not tell you if a discount was offered. I would agree if it is the first real accident then a MM should give a discount but you know how insurance companies work it will take an age I would expect. 

May be asking the caravan club to get involved may get answers from insurance companies 

I would imagine it is all down to the insurance company

kind regards

James 

1 hour ago, Paul_B said:

Can we get back to trying to help and advise rather than trying to start arguments............….again 

James has offered good advise in the past and he's worth listening to

however whether you agree or not lets not fall out over it :)

I agree Paul

i will not answer any more because I have given the advice and I don’t want to fight it is not my thing. 

‘The point on why MM don’t produce a discount is a good one I expect it is because they have 25 or 35% off book price and most insurance companies just follow each other with only so much off. 

Have a a good one Paul,

James 

Sign in to follow this