Jump to content
Cara01

Hello and parking a caravan!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:

 

I agree - we manage perfectly well without one, that’s not to say everyone should avoid them but they aren’t the necessity it sometimes appears!

It does depend on circumstances. A large twin axle and caravanning alone it makes life much easier. I would also throw into the mix that it is much safer using a mover than reversing with a tug. With a mover you can walk round all four corners to see whats going on, when using the tug you have the delay of instructions being called to reaction taking place. I have caravanned without a mover with a large outfit - 7 metre caravan towed by LWB Sprinter and manoeuvred into some tight pitches but having a mover has made this much easier.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know about removing jockey wheel! Most vans now have them fitted within the “A” frame and from experience with my van which is left on the drive with a slope down to the house, It is impossible to remove once I have gone it as level as I want it.

Also, with nearly 50 years experience of caravanning, I would not risk the possibility of the van running down the driveway into the house just for the sake of not spending on a motor mover, believe me no matter how good you are at reversing, there will always be a time when you will need one. 

Hope the photo shows the slope on our drive and the nose is still up at the front with the jockey wheel fully retracted......Peter

2161F9BC-4264-4E9E-888C-05467EBD95E3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

It does depend on circumstances.

 

Indeed, which is why I said;

 

 

2 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

that’s not to say everyone should avoid them...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Save yourself the hassle and find some local storage. Depending on your neighbours you may ruffle some feathers having in their mind an "eyesore" parked up in the street plus you get to keep your drive... 

 

GAS ....:ph34r:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Save yourself the hassle and find some local storage. Depending on your neighbours you may ruffle some feathers having in their mind an "eyesore" parked up in the street plus you get to keep your drive... 

 

GAS ....:ph34r:

I dont think in anyones mind they enhance the aesthetics of a property really, I dont store mine at home for that and other reasons. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peterjohn said:

Also, with nearly 50 years experience of caravanning, I would not risk the possibility of the van running down the driveway into the house just for the sake of not spending on a motor mover, believe me no matter how good you are at reversing, there will always be a time when you will need one. 

With similar experience towing experience as yourself, I have another opinion. I have never felt the need for a mover. As someone else said earlier in the thread, you don't see movers on other trailers such as horse boxes or flatbed car transporters. I'm not saying they may not be useful, even essential, for some locations, but personally I've always been able to use the towcar, or push by hand; even with the twin axle caravans we've owned.

Gordon.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We have a mover.

 

Ours was bought for positioning the van, mostly in France, where the access to pitches can be very tight. It's been very useful. There's no way I could move our single axle on my own on grass pitches and Lady Vimes is very often not available having two young Vimes to look after.

 

It was not necessary on our storage pitch as there was space to neatly reverse between neighbouring vans.

 

Now we store the van on a driveway with its nose under a car port. It would be possible to reverse onto the drive (up the steep pavement) but would often require neighbours to move parked cars. Reversing on would mean no room for a car behind the van as the back end of the van would not go under the car port.

 

My late dad was a farmer. He could reverse his van into the tightest spaces and often helped others on site. None of his farm trailers have movers but even I can tell you that reversing a massive tractor trailer is much easier than the caravan. Visibility, steering lock, axle position all help. His caravan has a mover fitted, which they used to get the best position on a pitch. He could always do an acceptable job using the car (not everyone has the same skill) but the mover have him the freedom to position the van exactly as he wanted it and just made life easier. There's also reduced clutch wear to consider if you have a manual gearbox

 

edit: Here's ours tucked in place. Next door's car is Pug 207 so you can see that any further back and there wouldn't be space for a car on the drive behind the van

 

image.png.a459ff8f2541d3e53485d2e646cc1957.png

Edited by svimes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Weekend Traveller said:

It's interesting to note that the only trailers fitted with motor movers are caravans. No HGV or agricultural trailers are fitted with motor movers. Make of that what you will.

However you are using a caravan for leisure purposes so why strain yourself plus many caravan sites have narrow roadways sometimes making it very difficult to reverse in the caravan using the car.  If  you are young and fit and have no issue physically moving the caravan onto the pitch then no problem.

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

As someone else said earlier in the thread, you don't see movers on other trailers such as horse boxes or flatbed car transporters.

Neither of the above normally have a 12v battery on board!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've certainly parked in some pretty tight spots without a mover. The picture below being typical, especially with the tree on our pitch in the south of France and a very narrow approach track. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-mover, it's just that so far I've never felt the need for one.

Outfit2001France2.jpg 

That was not a small caravan but it went in on the back of the car.

Outfit2001France1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was even tighter for us in Spain as there is a tree behind the caravan plus overhanging branches.  We had to manoeuvrer between two trees.   If we did no have a motor mover we would not have been able to get onto the pitch without damaging the caravan.

Torredembarra site.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be without a mover and I'm good at reversing, I also prefer the convenience of home storage :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We had to manoeuvrer between two trees.   If we did no have a motor mover we would not have been able to get onto the pitch without damaging the caravan.

 

Had same in Provence last visit, the large fully leafed tree actually was touching the middle front pole of the awning,and a similar tree was about 3 inches behind the 'van......mover essential or go somewhere else.

geoff

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lovely thing about caravanning is the variety.

we all either need to have a motor mover or we decide to do without.

Personally I wouldn’t be without, but on the other hand I love to watch others on site trying, sometimes without success, to position their caravan.

All part of life’s rich tapestry😁....Peter

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Cara01,

 

For 10 years I was the chairman of East Lancashire Adavanced Motorists.

I took students from Police advanced, First Responders and general public of all standards of driving

I have no Problems with anybody not wishing to buy and use a motor mover that’s completely up to them but they are not you. My view is very simple safety safety and safety. With the motor mover your foot won’t slip off the clutch and you won’t jackknife the caravan as your loved one is behind you guiding you to your perfect spot this has happened while people are reversing caravans.   The motor mover will give you complete control over your caravan from the remote in your hand. It moves slowly it is easy to position and once you take your hand off the control it stops. 

 The biggest problem you get with Caravanners is they will always give you their point of view with out thinking Safty. I am a very experienced Caravanner I can very easily reverse my caravan but I bought a motor mover because it is safer and if I’m going to spend that amount of money I’m going to use the technology 

 My advice is simple buy a motor mover and use the  move to maneuver the caravan however go somewhere that  is quiet like a large car park and practice reversing your caravan but do not have a loved one around the van as you reverse. Do not become one of those that say  i’ve been driving for 57 years and never had an accident until now.

 Caravaning is amazing very very peaceful and there are great people who do it I wish you all the luck in the world when the van and your holidays.

 

Kind regards

James 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do not have a motor mover but we are getting to the point where we could do with one. On sites it is not a problem reversing the caravan due to the room available. At the storage site there is the slightest slope to push/reverse the caravan up and there is not the room to use a car without risking bumping other caravans. I have a T handle with a towball on it which fastens to the hitch and makes moving the caravan a lot easier but when on my own getting the caravan up the slope is getting harder and barely just possible. Milenco used to sell these handles but the one we had from them was thin walled tubing and it bent and snapped. Our latest one is thick walled tubing but I could not find any links for them on the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a motor mover is OK but don't lose the remote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, g7eor said:

Having a motor mover is OK but don't lose the remote.

 

The "A" frame being the biggest culprit for remote loss :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

The "A" frame being the biggest culprit for remote loss

 

Which is why mine is on a lanyard!

geoff

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

your drive looks fine..being visible  from the road make sure it has decent locks..

 

oh and re  motor movers...I'm no weakling and between  2 of us we can shift our lightweight 1,000kg MOST places...  however we have a gravel drive and last time it took 4 of us to turn it round..

Old saying... its better to have it and not need it,  than need it and not have it

Edited by Les666
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Good point fellas

On my old one it had a holder at the door of the van also get in the habit or putting in your pocket.

you can buy another remote bu they are expensive 

‘the lanyard is a great idea I think I will be making one of those 

 

James 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jcf1966 said:

Hello Cara01,

 

For 10 years I was the chairman of East Lancashire Adavanced Motorists.

I took students from Police advanced, First Responders and general public of all standards of driving

I have no Problems with anybody not wishing to buy and use a motor mover that’s completely up to them but they are not you. My view is very simple safety safety and safety. With the motor mover your foot won’t slip off the clutch and you won’t jackknife the caravan as your loved one is behind you guiding you to your perfect spot this has happened while people are reversing caravans.   The motor mover will give you complete control over your caravan from the remote in your hand. It moves slowly it is easy to position and once you take your hand off the control it stops. 

 The biggest problem you get with Caravanners is they will always give you their point of view with out thinking Safty. I am a very experienced Caravanner I can very easily reverse my caravan but I bought a motor mover because it is safer and if I’m going to spend that amount of money I’m going to use the technology 

 My advice is simple buy a motor mover and use the  move to maneuver the caravan however go somewhere that  is quiet like a large car park and practice reversing your caravan but do not have a loved one around the van as you reverse. Do not become one of those that say  i’ve been driving for 57 years and never had an accident until now.

 Caravaning is amazing very very peaceful and there are great people who do it I wish you all the luck in the world when the van and your holidays.

 

Kind regards

James 

 

I’d hate to see your risk assessment for crossing the road...or getting out of bed.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank, don’t be so silly, there is no comparison, no need for comments like that👿...Peter

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:

 

I’d hate to see your risk assessment for crossing the road...or getting out of bed.

Have you never heard the screaming and shouting going on when communication between husband and wife when reversing onto a pitch? Latency, unclear instructions etc all cause issues. Having a mover makes it dramatically safer for sure, it's not about ability reversing, it's about common sense being able to clearly see where youre going which you cant do from the driving seat.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's better being safe than sorry Frank, and oops wont do much good if the caravan hits a bollard or worse still a child that goes to retrieve a ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its the fact you have never reversed when towing (if I have taken you up correctly) that will make this a difficult job till you get very used to it. The issue as others have mentioned is that if  you get it wrong it will be expensive and may put your caravan out of commission for a time when you have something booked.

 

Personally in your shoes I would add a motor mover with auto engage (its a more expensive mover but if used often will be worth the additional expense)

 

Being that it slopes towards your house any error with breaks will cause not just your caravan to get damaged but possibly your house as well.

 

Learning to reverse in such a tight confined space especially if your on your own (OR just as bad if the person guiding you does not help much or understand how to guide you) will stress you out and make the job of parking your new caravan a nerve racking experience.

 

One other thing to think is if you take a towing course you will have an idea about reversing to let you know if your a natural OR struggle. If the latter than a mover is your only option, if the former then you have the option of not getting one.

 

Either way welcome and enjoy the caravan world.

Oh and good luck.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...