Cara01

Hello and parking a caravan!

Hi, we are very new just about to buy a caravan for the first time. I wonder if I could get some opinions on whether our driveway would be too awkward to park our caravan on?  We are looking at 4 berth single axle light caravans. Someone mentioned it would be awkward as it slopes down slightly and that there might not be much manoeuvring space on the road. What do you guys think? I’ve uploaded some pics of our driveway but it wouldn’t let me upload more than  one pic so can’t show you the road (but it’s pretty standard estate fits two cars side by side) we would look to park it in front of the garage.

Thanks in advance, any advice appreciated! My thoughts are that it would be fine but not having towed and parked before I thought it would be best to get some opinions. We have measured and should be able to get a caravan in and still have room for the car.

thanks! 

DB1FC055-865A-44C0-9BC4-005FCD7C3BD9.jpeg

Firstly are there any local by laws relating to parking a caravan on your estate 

if no, IMO you need a Mover, if your reversing skills are not good, a move will put the van exactly where you want it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Should be fine - I reverse my 6.5m caravan up an incline on a drive that is 6.5m long and I have a gap between our porch and next door which is probably about 9’ - I can reverse straightish as there is a close almost opposite but everything else is against me!

You can see which home is ours on the picture from the blue dot, the silver car on the drive is my A2 which is where I reverse the caravan to - it sits about 30cm from the garage so I don’t leave it there all the time. The silver jazz next door is my neighbours the caravan fits snuggly!

EDIT - the blue dot is next door, ours is the house directly to the north;

54766E1A-42BF-444A-86B3-0A23AD60324F.png

Edited by FrankBullet
  • Thanks 1

As your driveway has a slope ,Get a mover and you will have no problem .With a mover there will be no danger of the van rolling into your garage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does not look too bad to me.  If it’s reversed in, chocked well, and then lowered as far as possible on the jockey, then steadies down, perhaps using blocks at the back.  It may not be truly level but I think near enough.

If that is not enough.  It would be possible to reverse in on to two wedges.  With the wheels up a few inches the front will drop further.

A motor mover would be useful.

John

• Thanks 1

Cara, when you say "slopes down slightly" is that side-to-side or house-to-road or road-to-house? 

Assuming you're not going to use it as an extra residential bedroom, the slope shouldn't be a problem.

As said, a mover would be very useful - perhaps you could upload your second picture by adding it into a second post?

John

• Thanks 1

That’s brilliant thank you: your house is a very similar set up to mine in terms of where it sits on the road! Really helpful ! Thank you :)

In in terms of by laws there are other houses that have their caravan on the drive and nothing in our deeds so I don’t think it is a prob (but the neighbours might not think that!) I will check with the council though: thanks for mentioning! :) 

This is the road opposite our driveway. What is a jockey? Sorry total novice here! It wouldn’t be used as a bedroom so not too worried about it being sloped generally just whether it would make it harder to position. Chocs is a very good idea! Thank you!

774C3149-2284-4A5F-B1C4-5E745A53CB60.jpeg

And when I say slopes, I mean it slopes down to the house but sideways the drive is level x

20 minutes ago, Cara01 said:

What is a jockey? Sorry total novice here!

Jockey is a jockey wheel -

image.png.d707c4e1a41a086ec384246e0107b9eb.png

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, really appreciate your replies :) 

Cara01, we have a drive which slopes down and a tight turn to get into it. The road is very narrow so you can not get any 'swing' to reverse in or to pull the caravan out, so our situation is a bit 'worse' than yours.

You will have no problem getting the caravan onto your drive with a motor mover. I have to park parallel to my drive then use the movers to pivot the caravan and then reverse it down into the gap.  Getting it out I park my truck on the road then 'drive' the caravan out to meet it. It only takes a couple of minutes, and always provides a little entertainment to neighbours or any passers by! :)

Parking on a slope is okay as it means that the rain does not pool on the roof. Our caravan is used as an occasional bedroom annex and I can get it just about level despite the slope by lowering the jockey wheel right down and putting blocks under the rear steadies. I put chocks against the wheels and after the steadies are all down I release the handbrake.

You will be fine, enjoy your caravan.

BH

P1050681 1000.jpg

• Thanks 1

To my shame as some would consider it an eyesore but I used to park our first couple of caravans sideways across the front of the bungalow. Entry was through an 8' gate and the building was really close to the road, so after parking on the road the caravan had to be unhitched and manhandled (or is that now personhandled?) through the gate and rotated 180°, pivoting around the offside wheel. We lived on a busy road so reversing part way in to unhitch was not an option as the towcar would be broadside across the road. There was a slight downhill slope off of the road similar to the opening post but it was easy to control the caravan using the handbrake. Removing the caravan required us parking the car in the road and then pushing the caravan back onto the road to hitch up but again two people could do this easily and one could watch each side of the caravan as we passed through the gateway. After a little practice I was able to do this alone as from experience I then knew the clearence on the side I could not see.

Now that's a very long winded way of saying  that providing the caravan is not too large for the space,  I don't think the there will be a problem in manoeuvering a single axle caravan by hand to where the car is shown parked. Removal should also be possible by hand with a light caravan but may prove problematic with a heavier one owing to the slope, in which case a mover may prove useful. The other consideration is that if reversed into position, the entrance door will be close to the boundary. As you will need a couple of feet clearance by the door for easy access when loading / unloading the caravan, if the access is tight it may pay to park at a slight angle to allow for this. The alternative being to park nose-in. This may improve security slightly by making it difficult for any ne'er do wells to easily hitch up, while also allowing you to install a security hitch-post near to the window and lock your caravan onto it. 

Gordon

• Thanks 1

You mention the neighbours' possible reaction.  Personally, I would always let them know what was being considered so as to keep things as harmonious as possible.  Assuming the house to the left is the same design as both yours and the house to the right then it looks as though where you are proposing to park the caravan may be almost immediately adjacent to your neighbour's lounge window.  And the fact that your drive is set higher than next door would presumably exaggerate the height of the parked caravan from their perspective.  Only you, and they, know where the light falls and whether this would have a major impact for the neighbours.  It may not be any issue to them - but, in my view, a friendly chat is usually best and may help you decide whether siting there is OK or whether a few hundred pounds for remote storage in the interests of a harmonious life might be money well spent.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am sure parking the caravan on your drive will be fine, but I would invest in a motor mover. If your road is like ours, and people park along it, it would mean being able to reverse the caravan onto our drive was impossible much of the time. With a motor mover it doesn't matter where anyone has parked, I can just drive in, stop in the road, unhitch and use the mover to easily and safely put it on the drive. 

• Thanks 1

If you park the caravan in front of your window the neighbours are less likely to be bothered by it. It would also ensure you can get in/out of your garage and let you continue to use it for your car (if you do put it in there, not many do these days). 

• Thanks 1

That is going to be tight for space but what about security to prevent the caravan being stolen off the drive even though you may be inside the home?

• Thanks 1

Find some good local storage, more secure, not advertising to the low life when you’re away and will keep things good with the neighbours.

caravans don’t look good parked in front of properties.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Gordon said:

Removal should also be possible by hand with a light caravan but may prove problematic with a heavier one owing to the slope, in which case a mover may prove useful.

Agree, it would be impossible for me to push our caravan up the slope onto the road.

BH

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Find some good local storage, more secure, not advertising to the low life when you’re away and will keep things good with the neighbours.

This absolutely.

It saves the cost of buying movers

It will be cheaper to insure

Having had my garage broken into whilst away in the caravan, I can honestly say it gives us more peace of mind when away in the van.

When we had the break in, the house wasn't empty.

For the couple of hundred pounds or so per year, I think its worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AlwynMike said:

This absolutely.

It saves the cost of buying movers

It will be cheaper to insure

Having had my garage broken into whilst away in the caravan, I can honestly say it gives us more peace of mind when away in the van.

When we had the break in, the house wasn't empty.

For the couple of hundred pounds or so per year, I think its worth it.

I moved mine from storage to the front drive 4 years ago, it made absolutely no difference to the cost of the insurance. 

A motor mover works out much cheaper than having to pay for storage, it's readily accessible for cleaning inside and out, plus you can easily plug the caravan in, meaning you can keep the battery charged,  put the fridge on, or even the heating on when the weather's cold, additionally  it can even double up as a spare bedroom when you have visitors. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

From photos, it looks easy enough to reverse van in from road. Whether using  car or mover, reverse it in from the side where you can keep an eye on low dividing wall.

In addition, measure distance from REAR of tyre to rear most point of van. Place two bricks / conc blocks approximately 6"-12" forwards towards road from measured distance. This ensures you won't hit the garage door. Width between blocks should correspond to be in line with both tyres. Slope front of van towards road to minimise rain water from getting near garage door.

As security AIDS only, once van is positioned, take off jockey wheel and store in garage. Replace nearside wheel with "Winter storage" device. ( like an axle stand which fits on to wheel studs / bolts. Fit a good old fashioned hitch lock.

Finally, site Alsatians kennel at front of van  ---LOL.

• Haha 1

Thanks so much all: I think we are going to look at a motor mover, and chocks, and go from there. Thanks very much for all of your informative advice :) 

Once you're on the drive make sure it's level.

20180609_043447.thumb.png.a911cb8e7065e53f914caa2b176d9307.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Motor movers are helpful, but not essential, it all depends how rich you are. If you are new to towing trailers, then I would suggest you find a large, empty car park and practice reversing your caravan, keep at it until you can consistently put the caravan in a marked parking bay with ease, first time. Accuracy is much more important than speed!

It's interesting to note that the only trailers fitted with motor movers are caravans. No HGV or agricultural trailers are fitted with motor movers. Make of that what you will. 

I shall now don my flak jacket and retreat to my bunker!

The width of the road, parked vehicles, and the length of the van might not allow for reversing.

Caravans only have one axle, in the middle, so are more difficult to reverse than an HGV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Weekend Traveller said:

I shall now don my flak jacket and retreat to my bunker!

I agree - we manage perfectly well without one, that’s not to say everyone should avoid them but they aren’t the necessity it sometimes appears!