Sign in to follow this  
Harrib0

Poole -Cherbourg ferry

Hello,

First post so be gentle :)

I am hoping to take this ferry at the end of July for the first ever venture to France with our caravan.

I've researched a few things like staying at Poole terminal on the way out and return due to timings and travel distance which will be useful. Fold your mirrors in and maybe remove rear steady pads.

My questions are this:

I am extremely paranoid about the car/caravan getting damaged by other cars doors etc on the crossing (to the point where I may take the tunnel and have a very long drive to the site) After all they are both shiny and new

Any tips on what might set my mind at rest? Do you stand guard near your outfit until your parked up neighbours have vacated?

Do they load caravans in a particular order? Keep them all together?

How tight do they pack the vehicles in?

Not necessary this route but I have read about people being barely able to get out of their car due to parking so close to others and having to climb over A frames etc.

Looking on here and other forums I cannot see any posts regarding people having damage but thats not to say they haven't?

I have been on just about all the cross channel routes - perhaps 60 times in all - no damage at all. 

When I went over car only, someone walked into my towbar and made the car rock. didn't damage the towbar though.

Regularly use the Poole Cherbourg route! The cars and caravans have plenty of room between them! No risk of doors hitting, so stop being so paranoid!

Posted (edited)

Perhaps something about ferries to Ireland then.

2016, crossing Stranraer to Belfast. Tightly packed all around.

Returned to outfit to find dent in door of caravan, most likely caused by someone with a rucksack or other type of bag.

Damage doesn’t just come from doors opening.

Edited by hp100425ev

4 hours ago, Harrib0 said:

Hello,

I am hoping to take this ferry at the end of July for the first ever venture to France with our caravan.

I've researched a few things like staying at Poole terminal on the way out and return due to timings and travel distance which will be useful. Fold your mirrors in and maybe remove rear steady pads.

My questions are this:

I am extremely paranoid about the car/caravan getting damaged by other cars doors etc on the crossing (to the point where I may take the tunnel and have a very long drive to the site) After all they are both shiny and new

Any tips on what might set my mind at rest? Do you stand guard near your outfit until your parked up neighbours have vacated?

Not necessary this route but I have read about people being barely able to get out of their car due to parking so close to others and having to climb over A frames etc.

Looking on here and other forums I cannot see any posts regarding people having damage but thats not to say they haven't?

Really! Lizzie is in a wheel chair and we have no problem getting out of our Discovery and into her chair! Absolutely no risk of hitting another vehicle!

4 hours ago, moorgate said:

I have been on just about all the cross channel routes - perhaps 60 times in all - no damage at all. 

Not quite as many as above but agree,never a problem ferries or tunnel.

geoff

Used this route the last two years lots of room between rows.

If you are so concerned, use the Tunnel, we tried it once, and have used it twice a year since the first year they allowed caravans, so easy and quick, 35 minutes, and if you shop at Tesco as we do, we go free

The vehicles are very close front to back hence the stepping over drawbars but just enough at the side.

The main problem is if there is a bus load of kids all carrying rucksacks and pushing past each other, all you can do is stand at your outfit until they pass.

I had a van damaged on the Irish route, it looked like the hook of the chains they use to tie down the heavies had been swung against the van, didn’t notice until off the ferry.

Ian

33 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

If you are so concerned, use the Tunnel, we tried it once, and have used it twice a year since the first year they allowed caravans, so easy and quick, 35 minutes, and if you shop at Tesco as we do, we go free

Yes indeed, but cars park awfully close together at Tesco.  That might be a worrying factor too. 

Posted (edited)

Judy and Mark did a vlog from Poole on their travels to Spain a few months ago .

Edited by CommanderDave

We use this service every year. Ideal to stop overnight on the quay. We walk into Poole for a meal and a drink(The Rope & Anchor) I did notice that last year there was a notice saying that £10 is payable in the cafe (used to be £5) No one seems to collect it, you have to go into the cafe in the morning to pay. I don't always bother! There are showers and toilets as well as drinking water tap for you to use. No problem parking up on the ferry, room to get out both sides. It's a nice short crossing (except in October last year-force 8 gale!) the time soon passes.

13 hours ago, moorgate said:

Yes indeed, but cars park awfully close together at Tesco.  That might be a worrying factor too. 

Not when you use two spaces like most people do, I find car parks fascinating places as it really does take a lot of skill to position your car diagonally across a space :wub: 

On 13/03/2019 at 15:52, Harrib0 said:

Hello,

My questions are this:

Fold in mirrors and remove rear steady pads - what are steady pads?

Alan

20 hours ago, ianfish said:

We use this service every year. Ideal to stop overnight on the quay. We walk into Poole for a meal and a drink(The Rope & Anchor) I did notice that last year there was a notice saying that £10 is payable in the cafe (used to be £5) No one seems to collect it, you have to go into the cafe in the morning to pay. I don't always bother! There are showers and toilets as well as drinking water tap for you to use. No problem parking up on the ferry, room to get out both sides. It's a nice short crossing (except in October last year-force 8 gale!) the time soon passes.

Last year we stayed overnight on the quay on both outward and return crossings Poole-Cherbourg on two separate trips.  In September the morning after for the first time we found a notice on the caravan to pay £10.  I didn't though.  I think we departed later on that occasion hence the notice.  Where are the showers though?  Never found them in the toilet block!  Next visit we will both be retired so we are going to go drive home on departure so as we can sleep for a week if necessary.  Outward overnight we walked into town and had got fish and chips.  Friendly owner let us sit in fish and chip cafe with dogs.  I think we checked the Rope and Anchor but they don't accept dogs.  There is also a big park and beach area to take the dogs for a walk before dinner.  

16 minutes ago, meadowsweet said:

Last year we stayed overnight on the quay on both outward and return crossings Poole-Cherbourg on two separate trips.  In September the morning after for the first time we found a notice on the caravan to pay £10.  I didn't though.  I think we departed later on that occasion hence the notice.  Where are the showers though?  Never found them in the toilet block!  Next visit we will both be retired so we are going to go drive home on departure so as we can sleep for a week if necessary.  Outward overnight we walked into town and had got fish and chips.  Friendly owner let us sit in fish and chip cafe with dogs.  I think we checked the Rope and Anchor but they don't accept dogs.  There is also a big park and beach area to take the dogs for a walk before dinner.  

the showers are just round the side of the toilet block. The Rope & Anchor do allow dogs ! that's why we use it, doggy treats on the bar!