A 5 star bore is supposed to be happening next Friday 21st March.  We have booked a CL nearby and will need to crawl out of bed early as it will come past Newnham at about 8.30am.  All the other two 5 star bores will be at night! Has any one been to see the bore and where did they find the best viewpoint?  We will be on the same side as the M5 and were thinking of end of road at Arlingham or maybe Purton after crossing Sharpness canal.  See https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/dates-times-severn-bore-2019-2180061

Cool,  got your costume sorted;)

The Anchor Inn at Epney has a beer garden right on the bank of the river.

Get some elvers and fry them up. Delicious!

I've spent many hours in the dark trying to catch my fortune in elvers. No such luck - not even enough for an elver omelette.

Ian ,youve booked a cl.you could roll out of bed at home and see it.

Best spot are the other side of the river,as most banks have high sides to see it and the riders

A pal of mine's two sons used a canoe riding the Severn Bore, they were competent canoeists and rode it for miles, I was very envious

15 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

The Anchor Inn at Epney has a beer garden right on the bank of the river.

Thanks for that as we have been the Anchor Inn previously.  Seems they will be open early on the 22nd for coffee and rolls and they do have a good viewing of the Severn bore.

15 hours ago, WispMan said:

Get some elvers and fry them up. Delicious!

This is another reason for the eel being a critically endangered species :(

Would never ever consider eating an eel although I have eaten snake.  Also tried rollmops once and never again!  Yech!

Seen the bore several times,impressive with the surfers riding the wave.

Also if you visit Bridgwater they get mini-bores coming up the River Parrett...

Eels, I was a founder member of The National Anguilla Club way back in the 60's,when they were plentiful, but never ever dreamt of eating one.

geoff 

We had them fried in the bacon fat as a lad and I thoroughly enjoyed them, those days they were plentiful.

I wouldn't eat one now, if (and that's a big if) I caught one now it would go straight back into the water. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

We had them fried in the bacon fat as a lad and I thoroughly enjoyed them, those days they were plentiful.

I wouldn't eat one now, if (and that's a big if) I caught one now it would go straight back into the water. 

The one and only time I caught a salt water eel the thing twisted up the line so badly that it ended up in a ball and I had to alternative except to cut the line as did not want to get bitten.  BTW do you get electric eels in fresh water in the UK?

Edited by Durbanite

4 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

BTW do you get electric eels in fresh water in the UK?

Only in aquariums 

Living in Gloucester seen the "bore" quite a few times as a lad. Dont' get too excited it's appropriatly named :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc Edge said:

Living in Gloucester seen the "bore" quite a few times as a lad. Dont' get too excited it's appropriatly named :rolleyes:

Never seen it and I guess once in a lifetime would be enough!  :D

For those that have not seen one...

geoff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Never seen it and I guess once in a lifetime would be enough!  :D

All over in less than 5 mins if its a so called" good one",  take no notice of me and go and enjoy, you may like it so much you will want to return and see it again and there again you may not.I mean some people find Stonehenge exciting.Please let us know what you think after the experiance.:mellow: I am a nice guy really its that it does not seem like it sometimes.:blink:

17 hours ago, Malc Edge said:

All over in less than 5 mins if its a so called" good one",  take no notice of me and go and enjoy, you may like it so much you will want to return and see it again and there again you may not.I mean some people find Stonehenge exciting.Please let us know what you think after the experiance.:mellow: I am a nice guy really its that it does not seem like it sometimes.:blink:

Doubt very much if we would want to return to see it.  Once seen, never forgotten.  As for Stonehenge never had any thoughts about visiting it as after all I have been around the Zimbabwe Ruins which are more interesting and cost zero to visit.  :D  Strangely enough we do have a passing interest in Roman ruins though!

• Like 1

On 14/03/2019 at 10:43, Durbanite said:

Would never ever consider eating an eel although I have eaten snake.  Also tried rollmops once and never again!  Yech!

They are quite nice with Lava Bread, a delicacy here in  Wales !!  

17 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Les.....surely Laverbread?....or bara lawr....not pumice stone!

cheers

geoff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

Bread from seaweed?  No thanks.  :D

You could go to the Anchor (an away skittle alley for me).  But the bore will be no better than staying at Arlingham.  You could drive to Weir Lane or Elmore back where the river is narrower and therefore the bore grows.  But it can be difficult to park.

I once walked the dog down the Severn Way from Weir lane which is on the riverside.  Then all went very odd.  You could tell the dog knew there was somthing wrong.  After a minute I realised that it had gone eirily quite.  Shortly after a bore came along, about 6 inch.  As soon as it passed everything returnred to normal.

The Severn Bore Inn as Minsterwoth do a breakfast but it would mean an early turn out.

We will have Lunch, I will call as arranged.

John

I’m sure I met the Severn Bore in a pub in Bewdley a few years ago . . . 

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, rslsys said:

I’m sure I met the Severn Bore in a pub in Bewdley a few years ago . . . 

Cheers

Keith

Oh it was you was it!

geoff

• Haha 1