Jump to content
Durbanite

Basic breakdown cover

Recommended Posts

As we have come across a glaring inadequacy with the CMC Mayday breakdown service we are now looking for a breakdown service for vehicle only that covers home start and will tow the vehicle 65 miles to a garage.  Doesn't need any other frills as we will continue with Mayday for when towing the caravan.  RAC Arrival may do anyway with having two contractors for breakdown however comes at a premium price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breakdown service usually will tow to a local garage and recovery only if not repairable ? 

 

I think most have a limit on miles for towing to a garage .

 

 

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does your Bank offer anything?

I have had breakdown cover through Nationwide.

Was thinking of cancelling it, but glad I didn't because Sunday just gone car wouldn’t start at Burrs Country Park CMC site, which turned out to be a flat battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Does your Bank offer anything?

I have had breakdown cover through Nationwide.

Was thinking of cancelling it, but glad I didn't because Sunday just gone car wouldn’t start at Burrs Country Park CMC site, which turned out to be a flat battery.

The Nationwide account would cost us £160 per annum and offers very little in return just to cover the car.  Unfortunately our caravan has a shipping length of 8.14m so they will not cover it even though it is a UK caravan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do Nationwide not cover the caravan for anything if over this length limit?

I thought the limit was imposed because not many recovery vehicles can carry a caravan that long.

So are you OK with them  if a  road side repair is all that is needed?

Or if car on recovery truck and caravan towed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Durbanite said:

As we have come across a glaring inadequacy with the CMC Mayday breakdown service we are now looking for a breakdown service for vehicle only that covers home start and will tow the vehicle 65 miles to a garage.  Doesn't need any other frills as we will continue with Mayday for when towing the caravan.  RAC Arrival may do anyway with having two contractors for breakdown however comes at a premium price.

 

 

Out of interest, what was the "glaring inadequacy"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here Ihave had to use Mayday sevice with and without the caravan and found them first class

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are talking 2 separate accounts here.1 for a car and 1 for a caravan(over a certain length) with a car breakdown they will tow the caravan,but witha caravan breakdown they wont tow a car(but you could drive it,yes)

Silly, car breaks down with caravan.they dont ask what size caravan when getting cover.but if getting  caravan cover they ask sizes of caravan. why?

We went with rac arrival for trailer of any size.£120 yr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, AndyK159 said:

 

 

Out of interest, what was the "glaring inadequacy"?

If your car breaks down when towing recovery takes both car and caravan to a single destination only. Presumably Durbanite stores his car 65 miles from home without room for the caravan at home. 

Edited by Easy T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, AndyK159 said:

Out of interest, what was the "glaring inadequacy"?

We found out recently that if you are returning home with the caravan in tow and you are unfortunate to have a breakdown and your caravan is in storage, Mayday will take the caravan to the storage depot and the car to a garage within 10 miles of the caravan storage location.   We were paying for the highest level of cover thinking we would be covered for all eventualities!

They will not take you home and if you have pets and luggage in the vehicle you will need to get yourselves, luggage and pets home from the garage where the car has been dropped off.  Even more difficult if you have mobility issues.

If you opt for the vehicle and yourselves plus luggage and pets to be taken home, as it is the same fault within 28 days they will charge you to take it to a garage within 10 miles.

If out of hours, they will drop off the car at your residence and then collect it the next day to take to a garage within 10 miles of your home address.

We have a service contract with the Jeep dealership however the dealership is 65 miles from our home so that poses another problem.

Apparently RAC Arrival do not have these sort of restrictions and will drop you off at home and then take the vehicle to a garage within 75 miles.  You do pay more but have peace of mind!

Edited by Durbanite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok those are the rules, what in practice happens?

Is the actual recovery agent who is driving more helpful any confirmation they do help as individuals?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Ok those are the rules, what in practice happens?

Is the actual recovery agent who is driving more helpful any confirmation they do help as individuals?

 

Apparently a member ended up with this sort of situation very recently and it was either home or the garage but not both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I 'm asking because when ever I have called for help I've always found the individual recovery man/mechanic to be extremely helpful.

One occasion I did not have cover for the particular problem but they got me going for a small reasonable charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David 38 said:

I 'm asking because when ever I have called for help I've always found the individual recovery man/mechanic to be extremely helpful.

One occasion I did not have cover for the particular problem but they got me going for a small reasonable charge.

 

With just the car, they took us to the garage and offered to take us home, however as it was going to be a couple of days before the car was ready the garage gave me a curtesy car. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David 38 said:

Ok those are the rules, what in practice happens?

Is the actual recovery agent who is driving more helpful any confirmation they do help as individuals?

 

If they help on a grace and favour basis then that is not something that I personally would wish to rely on and certainly not if my secondary location was more than an hours drive away as even if the driver wished to assist he might have another call,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David 38 said:

I 'm asking because when ever I have called for help I've always found the individual recovery man/mechanic to be extremely helpful.

One occasion I did not have cover for the particular problem but they got me going for a small reasonable charge.

We have never had an issue with Mayday so cannot fault them there and we have never been in a position where we have broken down with the caravan in tow however one needs to safeguard against such an event which is why we pay breakdown insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13 March 2019 at 14:54, Durbanite said:

The Nationwide account would cost us £160 per annum and offers very little in return just to cover the car.  Unfortunately our caravan has a shipping length of 8.14m so they will not cover it even though it is a UK caravan!

 

Reduced by £75 if you keep a minimum balance of £2500 in the account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

 

Reduced by £75 if you keep a minimum balance of £2500 in the account.

No chance of that happening as prefer to keep any spare money in a saving account as many years ago had a Nationwide card cloned.  Now only keep the bare minimum in the current account!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

No chance of that happening as prefer to keep any spare money in a saving account as many years ago had a Nationwide card cloned.  Now only keep the bare minimum in the current account!

I assume you got the money back so what's the problem?

I've also had a card cloned but I still keep a decent balance in my current account.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AndersG said:

I assume you got the money back so what's the problem?

I've also had a card cloned but I still keep a decent balance in my current account.

 

Our preference!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...