Sign in to follow this  
Malc Edge

Caravan alarm battery ?

Thinking I would like to put the caravan alarm on on my Bailey Senator when parked in the compound.

Would a fully charged battery be ok ? how long could I expect to run before a charge was needed ?

It has a cover on the caravan so a solar charger would not be suitable.

Thanks malc :D

I think you have a Sargent Alarm and, if so, I leave mine in storage with the alarm on for anything up to a month in winter with the main 12v battery disconnected.  I then connect the 12v for 3 days to fully recharge the alarm battery and then disconnect again.  Worth checking the date on the alarm battery though.

Just now, SamD said:

I think you have a Sargent Alarm and, if so, I leave mine in storage with the alarm on for anything up to a month in winter with the main 12v battery disconnected.  I then connect the 12v for 3 days to fully recharge the alarm battery and then disconnect again.  Worth checking the date on the alarm battery though.

Thanks Sam,is there a draw on the battery even if the alarm is only in survelance mode? I would have thought a large caravan battery would have lasted for over a month.I can take another battery to the compound to change the battery over when and if needed. I asume if the battery goes flat the alarm will just not operate ? malc

Our lunar has an alarm and tracker. We have a 110 ah battery, and the van is stored inside, so no solar input. 

I find that a fully charged battery takes about 6 weeks to drop down to 12v (as reported via the tracker, so maybe not very accurate). 

At an indicated 12v, I swap battery and recharge.   Works for me

5 hours ago, Malc Edge said:

Thanks Sam,is there a draw on the battery even if the alarm is only in survelance mode? I would have thought a large caravan battery would have lasted for over a month.I can take another battery to the compound to change the battery over when and if needed. I asume if the battery goes flat the alarm will just not operate ? malc

This is from Sargent:

The STINGER 310 system unit uses a special 4.8 volt Nickel Metal Hydride battery pack that supplies backup battery power to the system should the supply from the leisure battery fail or be disconnected. It is recommended that the alarm system is permanently connected to a 12 volt supply. When fully charged the battery will provide approximately 6 months stand-alone operation, depending on temperature conditions. It is recommended that this battery pack is replaced every 3 years.

I re-charge once a month simply because I have a couple of 12v batteries and it's easy for me to have one on charge and swap them over.  The 3 year bit is, I reckon important in that I confirmed that the 4.8 battery fully charged would last 6 months in standby mode but only if the battery is in good nick.

On 12/03/2019 at 16:22, SamD said:

Sorry Sam I  should have read your comment more closely I realiase you were reffering to a secondary alarm battery.

24 minutes ago, Malc Edge said:

Sorry Sam I  should have read your comment more closely I realiase you were reffering to a secondary alarm battery.

No probs.

Hi have just opened our  van up and the Alarm is dead. HAve had the van on charge overnight and still no bleep,

Do I have to reset the system???

Alan

If I may jump in here...

Coachman 460/2 with Sargent Stinger 310 which appears to be NOT working!

Caravan is permanently connected to mains when at home - also has a solar panel fitted which ensures the leisure battery is always in top form.

Recently decided to check my alarm after a few disturbances from other 'vans during the night while away.

My unit arms and disarms according to beeps from the fob but when 'active' we cannot make the alarm go off/make a noise when entering the 'van and even walking to touch the sensor at the front drawer/locker!

The alarm battery is dated September 2016 but I would have thought that irrelevant due to the fully charged leisure battery permanently 'on'.

Very puzzling!

Any suggestions most welcome.

Ken ;)

7 minutes ago, Ganpixie said:

If I may jump in here...

Coachman 460/2 with Sargent Stinger 310 which appears to be NOT working!

Caravan is permanently connected to mains when at home - also has a solar panel fitted which ensures the leisure battery is always in top form.

Recently decided to check my alarm after a few disturbances from other 'vans during the night while away.

My unit arms and disarms according to beeps from the fob but when 'active' we cannot make the alarm go off/make a noise when entering the 'van and even walking to touch the sensor at the front drawer/locker!

The alarm battery is dated September 2016 but I would have thought that irrelevant due to the fully charged leisure battery permanently 'on'.

Very puzzling!

Any suggestions most welcome.

Ken ;)

Does the PIR need new batteries ? Usually they require new batteries which are (watch type) every year .

Check your handbook as usually the cover comes off and it needs two batteries .

Dave

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

Does the PIR need new batteries ? Usually they require new batteries which are (watch type) every year .

Check your handbook as usually the cover comes off and it needs two batteries .

Dave

The PIR on the Sargent 310 Stinger alarm does not have batteries. It is powered from the alarm 4.8v battery.

When disarmed, the PIR internal LED should flash green when movement is detected but it will flash red if the alarm battery is discharged . The sensitivity of the PIR can be adjusted. Instructions are in the manual which can be downloaded from Sargent's website. Alternatively, ring them. They are very helpful. Be aware that their summer holiday period starts 29th July so staff levels will be greatly reduced.

https://sargentltd.co.uk/tech-support/article/Alarm-Manuals/21

01482 678981

Edited by Legal Eagle