Stockcroft

Coachman Strategy

Link to article quoting Elliot Hibbs:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/business/sales-up-caravan-builder-coachman-2631549

"On the back of the warm summer we had in 2018, people will look at purchasing new motor homes,” he said.  “I am very confident, moving forwards, that the caravan sector will have a good few years ahead of it. Now we need to give people that confidence to buy a caravan.”

"A good few years ahead of it....." definitely sounds like a finite horizon envisaged ahead.  Will be interesting to see how quickly there is a move to diversify to motorhomes.  The new link with Kabe is probably a sensible strategic decision and keeps options open.

Posted (edited)

I think the days of towing 1.5t box behind a car are numbered due to the concerns with pollution caused by IC engines and the fact that electric cars do not have sufficient power storage to make journeys of any useful distance when towing.

However commercial vehicles are becoming available with electric power and motor homes  built on light commercial vehicles will become a useful alternative.

Edited by Gd485

On 12/03/2019 at 09:49, Stockcroft said:

Link to article quoting Elliot Hibbs:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/business/sales-up-caravan-builder-coachman-2631549

"On the back of the warm summer we had in 2018, people will look at purchasing new motor homes,” he said.  “I am very confident, moving forwards, that the caravan sector will have a good few years ahead of it. Now we need to give people that confidence to buy a caravan.”

"A good few years ahead of it....." definitely sounds like a finite horizon envisaged ahead.  Will be interesting to see how quickly there is a move to diversify to motorhomes.  The new link with Kabe is probably a sensible strategic decision and keeps options open.

Coachman can enter the MH market with Kabe . 

We are all doomed ?  So why are all these Foreign leisure companies buying into our motorhome and caravan industry .

Dave

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good point Dave. I suppose it’s market share. Trying to make hay while the sun shines. 

See how quickly they drop those companies if there’s a downturn. 

The pressure point isn’t too far away with us leaving the EU. 

Which ever route we take looks as though there will be extra cost added to imported components. 

In my opinion the caravan market will decline over the next 10-15 years as the country tries to be much greener with personal transport. 

Edited by Gd485

20 hours ago, Gd485 said:

I think the days of towing 1.5t box behind a car are numbered due to the concerns with pollution caused by IC engines and the fact that electric cars do not have sufficient power storage to make journeys of any useful distance when towing.

However commercial vehicles are becoming available with electric power and motor homes  built on light commercial vehicles will become a useful alternative.

I watched this a few weeks ago and you need about £180k if I remember .

Dave

Thank you Dave, the video does show what’s possible today and the thinking of the manufacturers. 

I cannot see main stream car makers being too concerned about ordinary road cars having good towing capacity, they have enough problems with trying to produce useable electric cars. 

Why put a massive battery pack on a car for some users. It’s not like a big fuel tank were the weight is dependent on how full it is. 

Although the light commercial vehicles will have a need for big power packs and I think this might be the reason why Coachman and others are taking that long term view.