Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
stevew1

Ferry cancelled

Recommended Posts

Just been informed our crossing to Bilbao has been cancelled on Wednesday due to weather conditions. Rang BF who have advised me to ring CCC as we booked through them , they ( CCC )  don’t keep emergency hours  , they open at 09:00 tomorrow , that’s the time I was going to set off for Chichester CCC site ,  BF have said that the Friday crossing to Santander is full  , arrrrrrgh . I’ll know more tomorrow , may go through France rather than lose a week of our trip , but don’t know many overnight sites this time of year .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I blame Gareth, the weather lady said he was trouble :(

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are in Spain at the moment and somebody who left the rally posted that their ferry from Santander was cancelled, next one with space not until April, but the C&CC were very helpful booking sites and an alternative channel ferry. Not sure who picks up the extra costs.

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

, but the C&CC were very helpful booking sites and an alternative channel ferry. Not sure who picks up the extra costs.

 

Ian

 

In my experience not Brittany Ferries, they have refused to pay my out of pocket expenses when ferries have been cancelled or destinations changed, unlike DFDS who paid my fuel costs when a Newhaven - Dieppe crossing was cancelled and they got me on a Dover - Dunkirk one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve, think positive, be thankful the ferry to Spain was cancelled - if the sailing had gone ahead crossing the Bay of Biscay in this weather would have been a nightmare.  

 

So maybe use the tunnel and drive gently across France when the storm dies down - there are more than enough campsites open now. Take care. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stevew1 said:

Just been informed our crossing to Bilbao has been cancelled on Wednesday due to weather conditions.

 

 

Brittany Ferries are having to manage with only one of the smaller vessels sailing to both Bilbao and Santander so I can imagine that those sailings that do operate will be full to capacity.   Mine on the Etretat from Santander a couple of weeks ago was packed.   The Cap Finistere has been in Santander for the past four or five weeks, the Pont Aven is busy on Portsmouth to St Malo and the Baie de Seine is in Poland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got off the phone from the CCC , extremely busy but got through eventually, the next available ferry to Spain is Portsmouth to Santander on the 26th  , it arrives at 17:15 which means an overnight stop in Santander before setting off on the 27th . The only alternative was Portsmouth to Caen tomorrow , so that is what we are doing , it leaves tomorrow night so I don’t need the Chichester booking tonight ,it gets in to Caen at 07:00 ish & our first stop is camping Le Moulin , next day is Camping Larrouleta ,then Zaragoza before getting to our original stop at camping Altomira 2 days late . I have been given a refund of £107 which may cover the fuel & tolls , the extra cost of campsites & food will be my problem 😡😡.

apparently as the delay is weather related there is no insurance liability to BF , they just need to offer alternative crossings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

Just got off the phone from the CCC , extremely busy but got through eventually, the next available ferry to Spain is Portsmouth to Santander on the 26th  , it arrives at 17:15 which means an overnight stop in Santander before setting off on the 27th . The only alternative was Portsmouth to Caen tomorrow , so that is what we are doing , it leaves tomorrow night so I don’t need the Chichester booking tonight ,it gets in to Caen at 07:00 ish & our first stop is camping Le Moulin , next day is Camping Larrouleta ,then Zaragoza before getting to our original stop at camping Altomira 2 days late . I have been given a refund of £107 which may cover the fuel & tolls , the extra cost of campsites & food will be my problem 😡😡.

apparently as the delay is weather related there is no insurance liability to BF , they just need to offer alternative crossings.

If you had a Red Pennant policy or similar then surely you would have been able to claim on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have CCC insurance & will look into it , not felt too chipper today so not felt up to ringing around , hope I start to feel a bit better tomorrow , Quite a few miles to travel over the next few days !.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stevew1 said:

I have CCC insurance & will look into it , not felt too chipper today so not felt up to ringing around , hope I start to feel a bit better tomorrow , Quite a few miles to travel over the next few days !.

Last year we did the trip from Roses to Caen and it was a long trip even on the motorway and had 2 overnight stops including Caen.  Tolls cost us about £80.  Never again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not looking forward to it , we are setting off as late as possible to try & miss some of these winds . We are stopping at Chef Boutonne , Larrouleta , Zaragoza & finally an abbreviated stay at Altomira. 😬😬😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got into Altomira on Sunday afternoon , couldn’t access the supplied pitch as there was too much gravel on a very steep kerb  , spent the night with the locals at the bottom of the site on a 50’ x 12’   ‘ pitch’   drove in , reversed out . Today , Monday , after quite a few people had left we managed to access a pitch near the top & had our first normal day . Good job really , it was my wife’s birthday today & we were really starting to think that things were against us . We have just been out for a nice meal in the restaurant & are enjoying the nice weather , the holiday starts today , hopefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having been on a ferry in a  force eight back from Bilbao on the old Pride of Bilbao I think your are lucky your ferry crossing got cancelled. It is just one of those things; BF really have your safety and comfort at the heart of this decision; those smaller ships they are using this time of year are lively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that remember the Union Castle liners.  We travelled on the Edinburgh Castle in 1964 and it got really rough the one night with waves breaking over the bow.  However on the following trip the Edinburgh Castle got it by a freak wave smashing the forward windows, flooding alleyways, and also injuring folks aboard. BF need to be careful as I think the Edinburg Castle was a lot bigger.

Edinburgh Castle.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dieppe to Newhaven...usually 4 to 5 hours maximum......Nine hours at sea, couldn't get back into Dieppe and couldn't dock in Newhaven.

 

Truckline (remember them?) Poole to Cherbourg , held mid-channel for nearly 2 hours whilst waves hammered us....some caravans were damaged by a car that had left its handbrake off......wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

 

Geoff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...