Sign in to follow this  
oldboy

Tyrepal how accurate?

My new caravan comes with a  free Tyrepal gizmo, this morning as usual before setting off I checked both my caravan tyre with a digital pressure gauge making sure they are at correct pressure in my case it 60psi on moving off the tyrepal receiver indicated left wheel 62 psi and right wheel 60 psi. my question is how accurate is the tyrepal? or is it just another gadget gizmo to distract while driving and making one become paranoid. obviously, I never had one before and I will not be using it again

You ask how accurate the system is, well it's within 2 psi at 60 psi if your digital pressure gauge is accurate. Do you want more?

It's your choice what to do with it, but don't you want to know if either or both of your tyres are deflating because of a puncture(s).  My caravan has Tyrepal and I do not think it paranoid or distracting to know what the pressures and temperatures are of the tyres.

John.

• Like 4

Firstly, do you how accurate your digital gauge is, and its tolerance?

At less than 5%, I would say its not too bad. 

However, if it displayed 50 psi to an accurate 60psi, at least it would give an indication of impending or actual tyre failure. I would suggest that it is still a significant safety feature and I would question your reasons for not using it.

My car has tyre pressure and temperature sensors as standard. These aren't hugely accurate but it is interesting to see how much pressure and temperature changes with only a small difference in driving conditions.

30 minutes ago, oldboy said:

My new caravan comes with a  free Tyrepal gizmo, this morning as usual before setting off I checked both my caravan tyre with a digital pressure gauge making sure they are at correct pressure in my case it 60psi on moving off the tyrepal receiver indicated left wheel 62 psi and right wheel 60 psi. my question is how accurate is the tyrepal? or is it just another gadget gizmo to distract while driving and making one become paranoid. obviously, I never had one before and I will not be using it again

Although we had other issues with Tyrepal I cannot fault it on pressure readings.  Remember depending on the outside temperatures the psi can vary a bit between tyres.  We do not find it a distraction.

Posted (edited)

I bought one following a puncture last year but the caravan is in storage and I haven't used it yet. According to page 11, paragraph 5 of the instruction manual, it is accurate to +/- 1.5psi (0.1 bar) and a difference of one or two psi between tyres can be safely ignored.

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Like 1

Thank you for all the reply. still, after over 30 years of driving, I did not have one it has never bothered me so I will just plod along without one. thank you again.

It would be useful if the blinking thing would work! I mated the box with the wheels, and the next time I came to use it a few days later it had forgotten about them - battery still fully charged. I wonder if I should not have turned the box off when it was not in use?

The caravan wheels often don't respond when I try to use it again. Asked TyrePal - "Oh, you might need to drive a few hundred yards or so to recharge the wheel units." What's the good in that??

I think I'll just leave it at home.....

• Like 1

Tyrepal sensors were fitted to my van when I bought it and there was a special offer on the in car unit so I got one of those. Never got it to pair with the sensors. Tyrepal said to tow it for a few miles, I'd just done about 120 miles and it still didn't pair up. Useless, sent it back for a refund!

I never thought that it would pair up automatically as it has to be done manually as per the instruction manual?

Not so much as pair up - agreed that has to be done manually first time - but once paired surely the darned thing should stay paired up until or unless it is reset or paired with something else? Mine won't even keep working for the length of a journey!

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

Not so much as pair up - agreed that has to be done manually first time - but once paired surely the darned thing should stay paired up until or unless it is reset or paired with something else? Mine won't even keep working for the length of a journey!

Must be something wrong with your kit. I’ve had tyrepal for 10years now and only lost contact with 2 defective sensors in that time. Replacement sensors fitted and registered to the wheels with no issue. You do have to store the setting after assigning to a wheel.

My sensors vary by 1-2psi ...that said it’s invariably 1 sensor that’s out of step with the other 5.

Have to say I am not sure if the pressure reading is correct....as my hand held meter is 1 psi lower and my Ring pump is 2-3psi lower!!  Not sure which is correct???

Towed with Tyrepal for 4000` last year without a single hiccup won`t be leaving without it on a long journey. Its reassuring to know the caravan tyres are OK as there is no other way to tell until it is too late.  I`ve often noticed the difference between near and off side pressures and I put that down to the offside tyre (kitchen, boiler etc) is higher due to the extra weight resulting in the tyre running at a slightly higher temperature. This was also noticeable in Italy where travelling NE on the autostrada with the sun on the tyre the difference between pressures (wheel temperature) increased to 5psi from equal at start. Now this may not have much interest to some in fact it might even be a worry but I think it demonstrates the system works, the sensitivity of the wheel temperature should show a binding brake as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, compact said:

...... Now this may not have much interest to some in fact it might even be a worry but I think it demonstrates the system works, the sensitivity of the wheel temperature should show a binding brake as well.

Even normal braking (solo) at urban speeds increases the front tyre temperatures noticeably. Even more so when driving in a spirited manner.

Not looked at it with the van on the back. Service time on Wednesday so....

If you switch unit off it will 'forget' sensors. If you leave it on it will go to standby mode.

12 hours ago, AndyK159 said:

If you switch unit off it will 'forget' sensors. If you leave it on it will go to standby mode.

We always switch ours off and it does not "forget"?

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We always switch ours off and it does not "forget"?

Same with ours.

Sensors off all winter and stored,  still retain the info when put back on to the valves and fired up on first journey.

Out of interest, anyone found a way to check tyre pressures before moving off having sensors fitted?

Edited by Griff
Typo.

35 minutes ago, Griff said:

Out of interest, anyone found a way to check tyre pressures before moving off having sensors fitted?

I cannot think of anything better to say than, don't you use the old fashioned tried and tested method - look to see how flat it is at the bottom and give the tyre a kick :)

John.

48 minutes ago, Griff said:

Same with ours.

Sensors off all winter and stored,  still retain the info when put back on to the valves and fired up on first journey.

I understand that this is a Tyrepal system being discussed. I bought the Michelin product (not fitted yet) partly due to the electronic, if that's the correct term, tyre pressure tester. It makes checking tyre pressures a very quick and clean job before moving off. It would, I suspect, alert you to any monitors that weren't working as well.

John

i haven't used the tyrepal but use the snooper tyre pilot, and find the pressures match up with the internal tyre pressure sensors on the car reading them with an autel maxitpms ts401, i inflate the tyres using a ring rac640 inflator, it was just recently i checked this, i set the tyre inflator to stop at 33psi while inflating  i was reading the internal pressure sensors with the ts401, when the inflator stops it stopped at about 34.5psi, i believe this is built in to compensate when removing the inflator from the tyre valve as a little bit of air will be released and then when adding the external sensor to the valve the reading on the ts401 then showed 33psi which also matched the reading on the snooper screen, the only issue's i have with the snooper are a couple of sensors failed and wouldn't repair had to but replacements, when the internal battery goes low/flat there is no warning, (there should be according to the instructions) and at the moment 1 sensor seems to eat batteries Now using rechargeable lir1632

If the system's fitted and working properly I don't understand the logic of not using it, it's a valuable safety feature. Sounds like you've been lucky so far but  if you cover enough miles the law of averages dictates you'll have a puncture sooner or later.

FWIW my Tyrepal matches the readings on my Michelin tyre gauge exactly so I'm fairly confident it's accurate. I'm lazy so leave the caps on year round with the monitor switched off in the van. Touch wood, they've not failed to connect so far.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, oldboy said:

is it just another gadget gizmo to distract while driving and making one become paranoid. obviously, I never had one before and I will not be using it again

Well, IMO TPMSs are far from just another gizmo distracting one whilst driving, unless one considers being timely warned of running on a punctured tyre, a distraction too far.

Indeed, they are now mandatory in any new passenger car, presumably because other tasked with our safety take the same view as I do that it is far better to be aware than totally oblivious to something so linked to safety.

There is, as with many car systems, no need to drive eyes affixed to it or even bother looking at all.  If set correctly, it will give a clear enough warning as and when your attention is needed.

With caravans I contend you will not have a clue of a puncture picked up on route, till its associated drag has overheated the tyre's carcase well beyond its useful life, most probably your first hint could be the bang when the by now irrevocably damaged carcase finally gives way.

Maybe, having three blowouts on trailers,  in my 57 years hauling them, makes me embrace this advance that technology  now gives, not wanting the hassle a blowout can bring when it is so easily preempted.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, johntog said:

I understand that this is a Tyrepal system being discussed. I bought the Michelin product (not fitted yet) partly due to the electronic, if that's the correct term, tyre pressure tester. It makes checking tyre pressures a very quick and clean job before moving off. It would, I suspect, alert you to any monitors that weren't working as well.

John

John

I have the Michelins and am very pleased.  MAKE SURE that you turn on the receiver unit BEFORE you stick it to the windscreen.  I didn't and it's a beggar to get off.  I know - mea culpa

I don't know about you last sentence but as I check the van pressures before setting off, I know they are all working.

My Tyrepal unit, fitted to our Cadiz, works. I normally check my tyre pressures on both the car & van using a conventional pressure gauge especially as I increase the pressures on the car. 

I dont know what wakes up the transmitters - either just movement or centripetal force but I turn on the receiver when I start and they usually start responding by the time I've hooked up the van (I have to motor move it about 25 metres, backwards up the drive and then swivel the van through 90 degrees and then forwards a bit to get it to the back of the car)

I set the sensors up when I got the van/display over four years ago and not had a problem since although I guess that the sensor batteries have a finite life and will have to be replaced (probably the sensors as well as they are inside the tyre) when it comes to changing the tyres after 5-6 years.

Posted (edited)

My system uses the after market sensors screwed on in place of the dust caps.

The monitor never gets turned off during the season, it stays on from when we first go in the year to when we stop for the winter.

The system displays simply by me moving the van on the mover and coupling up, some 30 metres?

I have changed the sensor batteries once, as one sensor failed to register a reading, about 2.5 years after fitting the system.

They read about 1>2 psi more than my Tesco digital gauge, not a clue which is nearer right. Using the gauge is a pain, but still only a few minutes job and done periodically now.

Edited by JTQ

3 hours ago, SamD said:

John

I have the Michelins and am very pleased.  MAKE SURE that you turn on the receiver unit BEFORE you stick it to the windscreen.  I didn't and it's a beggar to get off.  I know - mea culpa

I don't know about you last sentence but as I check the van pressures before setting off, I know they are all working.

Thanks SamD,

Just had a word with Sharon at Wheely-Safe, where I bought my system and she confirms that if a sensor fails the pressure tester won't register a pressure and the sensor's red light should be flashing apparently. I've been putting off fitting mine as I'm considering changing my car but Sharon is sending me a spare sticky pad free of charge for when I do.

John