huey45

2010 Sprite Alpine 2 Number Plate Reverse Camera

Hi Guys 

As title i have purchase a Number Plate Reverse Camera

the camera comes already attached to number plate holder

My problem looking underneath rear of van, the back ABS

panel appears to be held at the bottom with a line of screws..

I am trying to get behind the panel and route the camera 

wiring to the offside rear light to pick a reverse power 

feed and earth, but cannot see how to do this

I could drill a hole centre of where number plate sits, but I am

not sure what sits behind the Rear ABS panel or how

I can gain access to wire camera up...

Can Anybody shed light on how to achieve this??

Regards huey45

Personally I would not try to get behind the rear panel. Why not bring the feed wire from the road light fuseboard which is at the front of the van. The wire can be attached beneath the floor.

Hi pfr I never thought of that option, I presume you mean the fuse board inside the van, and then that

brings a further question, if  doing that, how do I hide the camera wires without going through the 

rear panel as the number plate frame and camera are attached to the rear panel ??

And thank you for reply...

When I wired up on a previous caravan I tied a steel  nut that would go through the hole in panel for wire onto a piece of string. Let this drop to bottom of the panel. Released the bottom screws and then fished inside with a magnet the type on the end of a flex and found the nut pulling it through. Then fixed string on the wire for camera and pulled it up through the hole.

On my 584 I was able to undo the screws along the bottom edge of the rear panel, drill a hole behind the number plate and push the wires through the drilled hole,making sure there was plenty of mastic to seal the hole. I could "fish" the wires out of the bottom of the panel.When I sold the van I left the camera in the number plate surround and the transmitter in a plastic box under the rear of the van.

Posted (edited)

Hi g7eor

That is the kind of solution I was looking for putting the number plate frame onto van with a hole in centre of the  frame for the camera power feed . and with the number plate hiding it, then fishing + positive and  - negative going to nearside reverse light,  how difficult was what you described fishing the wires out ?? did you use something to do that..

It was my intention to leave the transmitter as you also described to protect it, did you allow aerial

to poke outside the box from stronger signal ??

Edited by huey45
error

On my Bailey I took the tail / reverse light out then the number plate light out , and poked a wire ( thin steel ) along the cavity from the top ( number plate light hole ) fiddled around and eventually retrieved it then pulled the electrical cable thru with that. There was enough room beside the light without drilling any holes for the cable to camera wire. The transmitter just fitted in the hole also so well protected from the elements to.

Many thanks to all that have contributed to this topic , the best option, looks like James Donald

although I might also try g7oer's version also...