Sign in to follow this  
the gasman

Wardrobe door

I've only had the caravan for 3 weeks, so I don't know the history.  The wardrobe door catch has always caught on the frame.  Today I cut a little of the frame away and refitted the striker,  all is now well.  But should I be worried about the movement? The caravan is 12 years old. So I'm expecting a bit of movement, all the other doors are fine.

Personally I wouldn't worry. The build quality of most caravans is poor, and this sort of thing is not unusual, even on new vans. Having DIY skills to sort out shoddy manufacturing issues is almost a necessity. Welcome to the world of caravanning.

• Like 1

If it was only a little bit, as Lozza says, don't worry.

Just about every roadgoing vehicle has some body/chassis movement - if they didn't something would snap or crack very easily, especially on our potholed roads.

A caravan is basically a box with a few flimsy cupboards inside, bolted to a flat wooden floor sat on a dead axle sitting on 2 hard tyres. The movement  stresses etc must be transmitted from top to bottom and end to end. 

If a few "adjustments" are all you have to worry about on a 12 year old caravan you're doing well.  Enjoy.

I am sometimes amazed at the things some caravanners put up with, particularly on older vans because they are unable to fix them themselves but are unwilling or unable to get someone else to fix them.

I have seen people keeping all their water in 5litre bottles in the van because the O rings in the pump fitting have split, or using battery lamps inside the van because a fuse has blown, etc. etc.

Since this is mainly on rallies and we tend to often come across the same people and I have to be careful to avoid being everybody's fix it man. I quite enjoy being helpful, but there are limits!

• Like 1

Majority of caravans have adjustable hinges on wardrobes and cupboards to help line up the doors on fitting did not just need to adjust the door not to hit the striker ?

Dave