Sign in to follow this  
Leakylunar

Which Sat Nav?

Hi, would like to ask views/recommendations on sat navs that are for caravan/motorhomes.

Been looking this morning and most get mixed reviews I’m needing one to stop arguments as I’m sick of been sent down small one track roads, it’s got to the point should we sell the caravan and buy a sub 6m van conversion.

Feel we should try a good sat nav first.

TBH I dont think that any satnav will avoid taking you down small one track roads - in fact it probably makes it  more likely.

They are a tool to be used together with maps to help you, not to be followed blindly. As it happens my wife is an excellent navigator and we always check the route on the a map even when the satnav is doing the guidance and we frequently deviate from the route that the satnav offers - especially when on the final approached to site in out of the way places. 

If we are unsure then we'll plan our route in advance - using Google Earth if necessary. I also have a complete set of OS 1:500000 lLandranger maps on my tablet & mobile phone using MemoryMaps (a most excellent program) or you can download Google maps if necessary - we did that last year for our drive from here to Lippstadt in Germany. Follwed the satnav (the one in the car and my wife's Garmin) and checked using downloaded maps from Google earth on the Tablet.

We certainly don't have rows - I do as my navigator instructs me to and learnt many years a go that it was pretty unwise to argue or complain if we did end up going astray.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, matelodave said:

TBH I dont think that any satnav will avoid taking you down small one track roads - in fact it probably makes it  more likely.

They are a tool to be used together with maps to help you, not to be followed blindly. As it happens my wife is an excellent navigator and we always check the route on the a map even when the satnav is doing the guidance and we frequently deviate from the route that the satnav offers - especially when on the final approached to site in out of the way places. 

If we are unsure then we'll plan our route in advance - using Google Earth if necessary. I also have a complete set of OS 1:500000 lLandranger maps on my tablet & mobile phone using MemoryMaps (a most excellent program) or you can download Google maps if necessary - we did that last year for our drive from here to Lippstadt in Germany. Follwed the satnav (the one in the car and my wife's Garmin) and checked using downloaded maps from Google earth on the Tablet.

We certainly don't have rows - I do as my navigator instructs me to and learnt many years a go that it was pretty unwise to argue or complain if we did end up going astray.

:goodpost:

My wife's a very good navigator too ( no you can't have her! ).  She uses road atlases and the Sat - Nav in concert, but her main resource are the maps.  I drive ( when we're towing ) and she navigates, no arguments.    :)

The Passat Alltrack has a built in Sat - Nav but for use on our trips around France we prefer our trusty old Garmin.  The Garmin is a general use type, not dedicated to truck driving etc.  I hook it up to the computer every few months to keep it up to date, especially before venturing over the water.

John.

Edited by Leedslad

58 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

:goodpost:

My wife's a very good navigator too ( no you can't have her! ).  She uses road atlases and the Sat - Nav in concert, but her main resource are the maps.  I drive ( when we're towing ) and she navigates, no arguments.    :)

The Passat Alltrack has a built in Sat - Nav but for use on our trips around France we prefer our trusty old Garmin.  The Garmin is a general use type, not dedicated to truck driving etc.  I hook it up to the computer every few months to keep it up to date, especially before venturing over the water.

John.

Same here John. I use either the built in sat nav or a Tomtom, depending where we are going (Tomtom usually used in france as I like that it shows which lane to be in on the autoroutes), but my wife has the atlas on her knee and has sometimes overuled the sat nav as it tried to take us on very small roads - unsuitable for a caravan. Works well for us:)

• Like 1

I used to use a Garmin but after being taken down some silly roads now use the CoPilot app on an Android smart phone. All of Western Europe for around £20.

It's not perfect - but are any?  It has recently removed what was a very useful feature whereby you could "tune" its preferences for different vehicle types - so I could almost force it to use major roads when towing - so have yet to try the current version with the caravan. It has the "lane assist" function showing which lane you should be in at motorway junctions etc. I used to use it on my aged Motorola Razr phone but it kept crashing so now use a £14.99 alcatel model with a later version of android.

It does have a useful function in that routes are easily modifiable, and it has a "preview" function which again can help.

I do try to get my wife to follow us on the IGN map (my preference) but she finds her attention wanders so that's not as useful as it could be!

We use a TomTom Camping and Caravan unit and it has never taken us down the wrong type of road as we are able to input the dimensions of both units and then select which is appropriate for the journey.

9 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We use a TomTom Camping and Caravan unit and it has never taken us down the wrong type of road as we are able to input the dimensions of both units and then select which is appropriate for the journey.

I also found the Tomtom Camping and Caravan to be very good until the last update killed it. It is now out of production and Tomtom will not repair. They gave me 25% discount off a replacement so I have the newer Tomtom caravanning sitting awaiting first use.

Yes that seems to be general thought that sat navs are not 100%, my wife does not read maps or have a clue where we are once on the m62!

I check google maps for roads close to caravan sites maybe I should pay more attention to the rest of the route😬

I only have a Paygo phone so dont have data on allthe time.  I download a Google map for the area that  I'm intending to cover (even Cambridgeshire to Germany) and then used the tablet to check the in car GPS. (my wife still had a proper paper map on her knee as well - just in case)

I used to do a fair bit of sailing (and still do some) and although we had a chart-plotter on board I always had paper charts handy, especially when in unfamiliar waters as they give you a much better overview of what is around and they don't usually suffer from power or GPS failures or dead zones.

I find that SatNavs and even chartplotters although useful (I do use them, so I'm not a luddite) are a bit like reading a map or even a newspaper through a letterbox. You only see a very small area around you and it makes it difficult to do an instant re-route if you get stuck in traffic, especially if you do turn off and the sat-nav just tries to push you back onto your original route.

I’ve got the Garmin Camper 660 which can  be setup for a Caravan or Motohome so avoids small roads.

its got all of Europe maps and lifetime traffic updates. It will redirect you if roads are closed and you can ‘shape’ your route.

it needs updating regularly otherwise it can take you in the opposite direction and I often use it alongside googlemaps in my phone as it’s more intuitive.

its quite expensive, but got mine in a half price Lidl sale.

thr screen is very reflective, so worth fitting an Matt screen cover

We have the Garmin Camper, still sends you down unsuitable roads. Always double check the route with Google Earth street view. 

2 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

We have the Garmin Camper, still sends you down unsuitable roads. Always double check the route with Google Earth street view. 

It will in car mode, but does it send you down unsuitable roads in caravan mode?

It has a function where you can look at the whole route and 'shape' it if necessary

I have a Garmin which is fine, as my 12 year old car does not have one! You can stop somewhere and search for accomodation nearby by selecting campsites ! Also has free updates as long as I own it.

Our Hyundai has a built in one which is updated at each sevice, it is not as comprehensive as the Garmin, its Tom Tom based.

We still carry and use maps!

The Garmin usually gets put in the car in case!

I think common sense is an essential extra!

An artic got stuck up a farm track near us because the foreign drivervwas using satnav! Despite road signs saying unsuitable for motors!

Took a couple of days and a big expensive recovery truck to retrieve him!

TBH, I use the normal TomTom (priced at approx. £70.00) for UK and Europe, along with a paper atlas.  When planning a journey with the old caravan, I do a "reckie" on Google Earth for low bridges, very narrow lanes, etc, although I do it just for travelling down narrow lanes rather than height restrictions.  Majority of bridges will allow a normal 9ft high caravan to pass through on main roads.  The abnormal smaller/narrow ones will most certainly be in the countryside down lanes, so I would do a "trip" with Google Earth down those areas.  Also, if you know you are passing under canals, these bridges will most definitely be narrow and more than possibly a height restriction, so watch out for that on your atlas

• Like 1

9 hours ago, matelodave said:

Don't know about others but Aguri (I have) specifically does avoid.  It uses Here mapping and all roads are photographed and then width etc and other 'suitabilities' are taken into account.

As said by others if you get one with the camping clubs on it and set for your dimensions you will not go down "silly roads". However you might know a better route in some places that you would rather use, ours (Snooper5000) will pick up your new route right away. My Wife has a TOM TOM 100 with IQ on it and that will go down roads two m wide!..

9 hours ago, Stevan said:

I also found the Tomtom Camping and Caravan to be very good until the last update killed it. It is now out of production and Tomtom will not repair. They gave me 25% discount off a replacement so I have the newer Tomtom caravanning sitting awaiting first use.

Strange our Camping & Caravan suffered the same fate,if I was being cynical I could think they were breaking them on purpose.

The new one is just as good but I don't find the interface quite as intuitive.

Ian

1 hour ago, pastiche19 said:

As said by others if you get one with the camping clubs on it and set for your dimensions you will not go down "silly roads". However you might know a better route in some places that you would rather use, ours (Snooper5000) will pick up your new route right away. My Wife has a TOM TOM 100 with IQ on it and that will go down roads two m wide!..

TomTom, and I suspect others only recognise posted width limits, roads that are simply narrow are not recognised as such.

14 hours ago, Tandem Man said:

Strange our Camping & Caravan suffered the same fate,if I was being cynical I could think they were breaking them on purpose.

The new one is just as good but I don't find the interface quite as intuitive.

Ian

I updated ours last week but have not used it.  In what way has it gone faulty as we sue it every time we go out with the caravan?

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, muso68 said:

It will in car mode, but does it send you down unsuitable roads in caravan mode?

It has a function where you can look at the whole route and 'shape' it if necessary

Yes it does. I’ve even upped the dimensions of our outfit to something ridiculous to try and force the issue. Took it up with Garmin at the NEC show the year before last and they had no suggestions blaming it on information supplied to them from a third party. Bearing in mind my outfit is close to 40 feet long it still tried to send me down a 6’6” wide lane with two 90 degree bends. 

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo

6 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Yes it does. I’ve even upped the dimensions of our outfit to something ridiculous to try and force the issue. Took it up with Garmin at the NEC show the year before last and they had no suggestions blaming it on information supplied to them from a third party. Bearing in mind my outfit is close to 40 feet long it still tried to send me down a 6’6” wide lane with two 90 degree bends. 

Time to invest in a decent Satnav like a TT!  LOL!  :D

I use a CoPilot Caravan on and iPad but it will work on a phone or android pad. I wrote a little about it, it may be suitable for you. I think they allow a free months trial.

http://wandering.me.uk/copilot/

Our Ford Kuga is fitted with  the factory SYNC3 which absolutely useless, we have an old Garmin with free lifetime updated, plus I use Google Earth and old fashioned road maps and pen and paper.

And my wife is an absolutely useless navigator.

12 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

I think the reality is that the effort required to produce a "truly" accurate database of width, height and weight restrictions is way beyond being cost effective for anyone to produce. It would be a task on the scale of Google street view and way more besides, it isn't a realistic prospect. I can't help think that some of what does exist overpromises on what they can do.

Plus anything that is produced as a result of a 'real world' survey stands a good chance of being out of date before it is even published.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

I think the reality is that the effort required to produce a "truly" accurate database of width, height and weight restrictions is way beyond being cost effective for anyone to produce. It would be a task on the scale of Google street view and way more besides, it isn't a realistic prospect. I can't help think that some of what does exist overpromises on what they can do.

Plus anything that is produced as a result of a 'real world' survey stands a good chance of being out of date before it is even published.  

Your first para is exactly what 'Here' mapping does.  2nd Para so true but wide roads, even in UK, are unlikely to be re-built narrower than they were!