Sign in to follow this  
lunarloopy

Club v Club

Posted (edited)

We are members of both major clubs, C+C.C. for 40 years and CMC for 5. We rally with C+C.C. and CMC we use for cheaper ferry prices and occasional CL’s. I read with interest information and advice given on these pages to “ newbies” wondering which of the 2 clubs to join. One reason given for joining CMC is “ their club sites are much better”. My question is How and why are they better? We’ve been on several CMC sites and this season already a couple of C+C.C.  sites, I can’t see a difference. Both clubs sites are well manicured, ablutions are pristine and modern and site wardens( managers) are friendly and welcoming. I will be very interested to read what other criteria that should be taken into account. Any “ newbies” reading this,my advice either join both for a year or try each one in turn and try ALL forms of camping, rallies, sites , CL’s & CS’s.

Edited by lunarloopy
C&C.C. Still defaulting to C+CMC. Why? CMC bias?
  • Like 1

The only differences in principle are that (1) C&CC club sites guide you to a suitable pitch for your outfit, with the CMC you drive round and pick your own; and (2) C&CC certificated sites allow tents (up to 12 depending on the space) whereas the CMC bars certificated location owners from having tents other than pup tents.

Totally agree with you Lunarloopy - there seems to be this idea that CMC clubsites are 'better' in some way, but I don't see it myself.

I've been a member of both clubs for many years, and use whichever one has a site where I want to go, and this works out at 50/50 over the year - I think if I was blindfolded and taken to a site, I probably wouldn't know which club it was (apart from the silly signage which has appeared at CMC sites recently:)). And price-wise they're pretty similar too.

The only other 2 differences I can think of are that you can book a hardstanding at C&CC sites, but you get what's left at CMC. And secondly, some members hate the showers which are adjustable and you have to continually press a button (C&CC), and prefer the ones that stay on for the length of your shower and you can select a temperature to suit.

John

I joined one of the Clubs a lifetime ago when that was the only show on the road - but frankly there are so many good independent caravan sites these days, internet search to find them is so easy, reviews are so plentiful and useful, and on line booking is so quick ...that if I were starting again I doubt if I would join either Club .  My grown up children put it bluntly, Why would we need to join a Club to go camping? 

• Like 1

Initially was a member of CMC and last year joing the C&CC.

Only been to two C&CC sites and a fair few CMC. Limited experience suggests the facilities at CMC are a little newer.

Have found the freedom to pitch however I want at CCC sites better. I've had a couple of negative experiences on CMC sites with rudeness from other members that for some reason still irritates the life out of me today. It didn't relate to any antisocial activity as I keep the kids and dog on a very strict leash. The problem for us is now having been to European sites and seeing how much more relaxed they are and generally how much better laid out, the more I find the pomp of the CMC annoying.

I'm most certainly middle aged and generally chilled about things but I think they need a serious redesign if they want to attract the next generation of tourers. I've only stayed on a CMC site for one night in the last two years and that was because it was convenient for the ferry, they just don't offer anything to attract a family for us that a CL at a third of the price doesn't.

• Like 3

We  have been members of both Clubs for many many years, we prefer the CMC Sites over the CCC sites, as with CCC you are shown to your pitch which is allocated to you before you arrive and the Warders are reluctant to switch you to another, also, on most of the sites we have stayed on the hardstandings are too narrow and the Warders insist you park across the front of the pitch so not  allowing parking with two wheels on the grass 

Not a C&CC member although have been on several of their sites over last 5 years, as a member of another rallying body, Two points strike me...one Warden attitude.." I know that you are on xxxxx rally but you go where we put you!" This has happened twice.

The other,as above, is pitch size..not enough room on the hardstanding for car and caravan...and if you put it across the front you are on the roadway....three sites.

geoff

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Johnaldo said:

… some members hate the showers which are adjustable and you have to continually press a button …

Oops, that should have read "are not adjustable" :unsure:

John

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, lunarloopy said:

We are members of both major clubs, C+C.C. for 40 years and CMC for 5. We rally with C+C.C. and CMC we use for cheaper ferry prices and occasional CL’s. I read with interest information and advice given on these pages to “ newbies” wondering which of the 2 clubs to join. One reason given for joining CMC is “ their club sites are much better”. My question is How and why are they better? We’ve been on several CMC sites and this season already a couple of C+C.C.  sites, I can’t see a difference. Both clubs sites are well manicured, ablutions are pristine and modern and site wardens( managers) are friendly and welcoming. I will be very interested to read what other criteria that should be taken into account. Any “ newbies” reading this,my advice either join both for a year or try each one in turn and try ALL forms of camping, rallies, sites , CL’s & CS’s.

We have tried both clubs and found the C&CC to be finicky etc and definitely not the friendly club it pretends to be which is why we would not consider them again.  No wonder they are losing members!

If Malvern is supposed to be the flagship site I would be concerned about the state of their other sites.

Edited by Durbanite

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

We have tried both clubs and found the C&CC to be finicky etc and definitely not the friendly club it pretends to be which is why we would not consider them again.  No wonder they are losing members!

If Malvern is supposed to be the flagship site I would be concerned about the state of their other sites.

Durbanite, I'm not saying you're wrong, but can you point me to the figures to back-up the 'losing members' statement?

And where does it say that Malvern is 'the flagship site' for the C&CC?

John

12 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Durbanite, I'm not saying you're wrong, but can you point me to the figures to back-up the 'losing members' statement?

And where does it say that Malvern is 'the flagship site' for the C&CC?

John

I can't find any reference to Blackmore being the flagship site of C&CC, but they did use to advertise it as such  not that many years ago, probably about 8 or 10 years ago. 

We belong to both clubs but mostly use CMC.  To my mind the CMC sites are generally better on a number of aspects including quality of shower blocks and roadways within the sites.

On more than one occasion I have asked on a C&CC site why the roadways are made of gravel when a nearby CMC sites has tarmacked roads only to be told " we can't get planning permission" . Strange that CMC does not seem to have the same problem.

Also I prefer to select my own pitch.

Nevertheless, it's down to personal preferences in the end.

We were previously members of the  CMC for many years when our children were younger and marshalled rallies over many years, including a Millenium/New Year one for over 60 vans.   We are not high income earners and have always had older caravans.  

Purely from the experience of being  member of that club, I can say that certainly in my area, the general attitude of members that I camped with was very definitely snobbish.    Wonder how many new campers who may have grown up with less disposable income that puts off?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Janine00 said:

Purely from the experience of being  member of that club, I can say that certainly in my area, the general attitude of members that I camped with was very definitely snobbish.    Wonder how many new campers who may have grown up with less disposable income that puts off?

We tried rallying with a Centre not far from here and found it exactly as you state. Wasn’t sufficient for me to cancel our membership as we use CLs mostly now.

Posted (edited)

Mal, Having a T25 for the last few years I have only been a member of the C&CC so that I could book small quiet sites for rallies, but the attitude of some really does put me off, especially as I sometimes camp without my husband (but never without my dog);)    But then again, even as a young child I used to get quite hot under the collar when I felt people were patronising me.

PS.  Run out of likes...   need to train my hand to be a little lighter on that left button!

Edited by Janine00
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We are members of both.

CMC for the ferry booking and breakdown cover and both for the CLs.

I've stayed on 3 CMC club sites plus 2 affiliated (one is now a club site).  Also stayed on 2 C& C C club sites. 

They were all slighty different with no noticeable difference by club. Maybe it's detectable if you use them more.

We mostly stay on CS or CL sites. 

Edited by svimes
Filter is still garbling posts

We have used Malvern over two years and we had been told that this was their 'flagship' and where new site officers were given training.

geoff

I am with both club too I can list many things that are different between the 2 clubs I won't bother I choose to join both clubs for location but if there is both in one location I always choose the CMC first I am on a C&CC site this weekend it 6 degrees outside the toilet block is like a fridge compartment because the heating is on timer only come up at a certain time, the hot water in the sink and the shower is just tepid.

2 hours ago, Janine00 said:

We were previously members of the  CMC for many years when our children were younger and marshalled rallies over many years, including a Millenium/New Year one for over 60 vans.   We are not high income earners and have always had older caravans.  

Had lots of experience of snobbery when we turned up at CMC sites in  our old Sprite Musketeer which had the awful brown  stripe down the sides.  Then we got our Lunar Eclipse and snobbery went out the window, but we were at the stage where we just stayed at cl sites. Most enjoyable. 

• Like 1

Smallish difference i noticed last year was the freindly club wants payment upfront too.Or at least a deposit.

The serried ranks of CMC sites smack of anything but the freedom camping should bring.   Maybe most commercial sites suffer from a similar malaise but for us CLs and Red Pennant are the ONLY reasons we belong to any so called "club".

Janine, Lady Bird - you would be most welcome parked next to us no matter what type of site we were on.  But from experience here I have to say that the "official club sites" of the CMC do not ooze friendliness.  We use them only if no alternative available.

It's so different abroad.  There you find vans, motor homes of all ages and not a soul cares a fig!  You generally park how you want and often where you want within reason.  Not like here in one of the "club" sites.   Move that peg if you dare! 

I suspect it has something to do with pride of ownership.  The widest and the biggest with every convenience known to man including automatic satellite dishes, self levelling gizmos and 4 litre cars to pull them  (in the case of caravans), has  raised "camping/caravanning to a status symbol for some.  Not so in Europe for the most part. 

I sometimes wonder why the CMC magazine chooses to feature leisure vehicles that most people would need a second mortgage to buy - and in the case of motor homes, run. 

Camping is about freedom not elitism.  Well - it should be in my book. 

Not for one moment am I suggesting we should all be "one happy family" but hands up those who have never wondered why no smile or wave from a neighbour has been forthcoming! 

Our experience abroad is that in most sites a chat with a neighbour has always been welcome and never have we felt out of place because of our possessions.  

Of course after Brexit nothing will change! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Been in both clubs for many years. CMC has Greenflag Mayday recovery, C&CC has RAC Arrival which we had for a long time but recently the cost has increased to stupid levels so now use Mayday.

We have used many sites of both clubs and usually choose by the location but generally CMC ones have had more up to date facilities and do not fill up with tents at weekends so you know it will not get very full of other people. Never had a problem of snobbishness at any site, I am happy to chat with anyone and often make the first comment which starts things off.

• Like 1

We are members of the CMC! Only use main sites from November to March, and for a long break with the rest of the family In August! The rest of the year it is CL’s.

Went to look at one of the C&CC sites once, with a view to joining, and the warden was so impolite  that we were put off! Never looked at another since then!

10 hours ago, PR1 said:

Went to look at one of the C&CC sites once, with a view to joining, and the warden was so impolite  that we were put off! Never looked at another since then!

I would never be put off joining an organisation because of one mans perceived rudeness in such a multi site organisation. 

I have been a member of CMC for around 38 years. I only joined C&CC at the end of 2017 and that was purely to add extra choice as I typically use 22 sites a year and don't tend to revisit sites more than once every 4 or 5 years.  Prior to joining C&CC I would typically use about 30% commercial/family run  sites and 70% CMC sites. 

The clincher for joining C&CC was that I wanted to use Braitwaite Fold site and Moffat Site as part of a touring route. I used 5 C&CC sites last year chosen for location as I suppose most of my sites are.

The visits confirmed my preference for CMC sites although I shall be using 6 C&CC sites which will account for 25% of my site nights.

Why I prefer CMC sites really comes down to what I dislike about C&CC sites.

I very much dislike not being able to regulate shower temperatures as the showers quickly start to run too hot for me with the result that I either had a strip wash or used caravan shower.

I dislike the faff about booking system and I expect even more faffing if I want to alter plans on route. I have on occasion needed to stop an extra two nights on a CMC site whilst awaiting a car part or for other reasons. That meant cancelling the next site and extending the stay on three others. No problem with CMC system. I have also shortened a stay at the end of a holiday on two occasions because I wanted to add some time on another site before returning home - again simple with CMC. 

I dislike being led to a pre allocated pitch. I dislike waiting for a free runner to follow to a pitch on busy sites at busy times. I dislike the lack of a site plan on site. I dislike 1pm arrival times. I dislike the smaller pitches. 

One may wonder why I have renewed with C&CC this year and itis purely because of additional shoice.

I cannot get my head around that some people state there is snobbery on a C.C site.  When we used to use C.C sites and had a very old caravan we never encountered any of this.  IMHO it is a perceived notion that some people imposed on themselves.  We still like to see old caravans on sites as it helps add character and we all had to start somewhere!  The main reason we no longer use C.C sites is value for money as many commercial sites in better locations seem to be cheaper and you can negotiate a price if on a long stay.  The other plus is quite often the commercial site has more facilities than the C.C site and for less money!