FrankBullet

Not doing ourselves any favours - Mirrors

Caught up in traffic heading east on the A14 today just to the west of Brampton Hut (A1 interchange) my attention was caught by a Bailey caravan being piloted from lane to lane, invariably with a ‘manoeuvre, signal and stuff the mirror’ action - the BMW driver in front of me was nearly taken out until they spotted the (late) indication as the Pegasus came swinging towards them.  A closer look and the reason was clear - no extended mirrors on the tow car and no attempt to drive carefully to take account of this.

Despite what you might expect to see in the tow car, it was an elderly couple with a 66-plate Passat not a Transit Tipper.

He was oblivious to the chaos he was causing.

But even dealers towing with Disco's don't use extension mirrors up here.

Yes, there are morons everywhere.

Age and geographical location have little influence on stupidity 😂😂

• Like 6

there's never a policeman about when you need one it's also quite amazing how many people don't use mirrors would have thought that could make your insurance void ?

10 hours ago, guinness said:

there's never a policeman about when you need one it's also quite amazing how many people don't use mirrors would have thought that could make your insurance void ?

Why?

Speeding doesn't, driving whilst using a mobile phone doesn't, driving without due care and attention doesn't, why should this?

• Like 5

I've noticed the same round here. I thought it would be the younger, newer vanners without mirrors but it's not. 

Does this topic really belong in caravan chat?

It seems to me that the BMW driver could just as readily have been driving in an, alleged, BMW stereo-typical manner. Pass everything on the road without due regard to other road users :rolleyes:

Extending mirrors are not obligatory. Having an adequate view of the road is the requirement, which could only be properly assessed by a roadside checks.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

Does this topic really belong in caravan chat?

It seems to me that the BMW driver could just as readily have been driving in an, alleged, BMW stereo-typical manner. Pass everything on the road without due regard to other road users :rolleyes:

I think the OP said that the caravan swung towards the BMW, not the other way round. 

Strangely, my experience of BMW drivers different to yours!

13 minutes ago, svimes said:

I think the OP said that the caravan swung towards the BMW, not the other way round. 

Strangely, my experience of BMW drivers different to yours!

If you had read my post you would have seen that I did not say that it was my experience.

My understanding is that the outfit was in front of the BMW in a nearside lane when the BMW was attempting or preparing to overtake when the outfit swung out into the adjacent lane?

Posted (edited)

I often see caravans on the M4 being towed at a hell of a rate on knots by Dealers, with Mitsubishi and Disco's, how do I know they are dealers before anyone asks it is by their graphics on the tow vehicle. They have a total disregard for other road users, where are the police, they are probably stopping motorists with a number plate issues or hiding in laybys on B roads with a speed gun, well that's what they do in this neck of the woods

Edited by Les Medes
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

I often see caravans on the M4 being towed at a hell of a rate on knots by Dealers, with Mitsubishi and Disco's,

Are sure it wasn't me :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeeTee said:

Extending mirrors are not obligatory. Having an adequate view of the road is the requirement, which could only be properly assessed by a roadside checks.

There are very few cars, certainly no popular towcars sufficiently  wide to have an "adequate view" past a typical caravan without extended mirrors, that it is safe to say that they are obligatory on any normal outfit.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

If you had read my post you would have seen that I did not say that it was my experience.

My understanding is that the outfit was in front of the BMW in a nearside lane when the BMW was attempting or preparing to overtake when the outfit swung out into the adjacent lane?

Understanding or interpretation?

Traffic moving at 5-10mph

BMW on inside lane in front of me - gap of about 25’ in front of it.

In the outside lane, Passat alongside the gap, caravan alongside the BMW.

Caravan ‘swings’ at the BMW, only as it’s coming across does the driver indicate, BMW driver forced to stop.

All avoidable with extended mirrors.

Appropriately posted here as it’s to do with how we behave on the roads and our interaction with others.

The Passat and Pegasus had previously moved into the outside lane without indicating as traffic slowed to about 30mph about a minute before, again forcing another vehicle to brake sharper.

I sat behind it at one point and positioned myself in-line with the offside of the van - I could not see the mirror in any way.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

Thank you. I did read your post, in which you mentioned stereotypes.

We all have stereotypes and my own are formed largely from my experiences. Yours must not be.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

By coincidence, I was just reading a document reporting on how four roads policing officers, during a week of speed enforcement from lay-bys on minor roads, and in addition to dealing with speeding drivers, seized 5 uninsured vehicles, arrested 2 disqualified drivers, 3 positive drug wipe drivers and topped it off by arresting a speeding driver who it transpired was wanted by another police force for a GBH, robbery and rape. 

Just goes to show what a waste of resources speed enforcement is when they should be out there catching criminals. 🤨

I have never seen any one stopped for speeding when they are using those road side cameras.  The fine is sent in the post and the person who was caught on camera can carry on speeding through the trap area and after it so a bit of a pointless exercise.  A stop and search will nab uninsured drivers, disqualified drivers etc.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Are sure it wasn't me :rolleyes:

Positive, they were RHD, 

Edited by Les Medes
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I have never seen any one stopped for speeding when they are using those road side cameras.  The fine is sent in the post and the person who was caught on camera can carry on speeding through the trap area and after it so a bit of a pointless exercise.  A stop and search will nab uninsured drivers, disqualified drivers etc.

Who said anything about cameras? It was a roadside speed check, probably using a handheld detection device that doesn't take picture so the offender is stopped at the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

You should watch some of the real life police programs ;)

20 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

Who said anything about cameras? It was a roadside speed check, probably using a handheld detection device that doesn't take picture so the offender is stopped at the time.

I thought that the hand held Radar or Laser devices used had inbuilt cameras that triggered when the speed limit was exceeded? 

Where we used to live mainly at night they used to shut off virtually every road leading out of a town or in a city the major roads and stop every vehicle and do a check.  Driving under the influence dropped dramatically and so did other crimes like house breaking etc.  They still do these checks and still catch many criminals!

Why are the public so against the police in the UK erecting "road blocks" and checking every driver that goes through the road block?  This will nab a whole lot more.  If you are innocent you have nothing to fear and the plus is that you know the police are doing their job to protect you!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I thought that the hand held Radar or Laser devices used had inbuilt cameras that triggered when the speed limit was exceeded? 

Where we used to live mainly at night they used to shut off virtually every road leading out of a town or in a city the major roads and stop every vehicle and do a check.  Driving under the influence dropped dramatically and so did other crimes like house breaking etc.  They still do these checks and still catch many criminals!

Why are the public so against the police in the UK erecting "road blocks" and checking every driver that goes through the road block?  This will nab a whole lot more.  If you are innocent you have nothing to fear and the plus is that you know the police are doing their job to protect you!

The very latest handheld devices do have an integrated camera but they aren't in wide circulation  yet. Often roadside speed checks are supplemented with the ANPR equipment in the patrol cars which "pings" up any information marked against the vehicle e.g. no insurance, no MOT, used by disq. driver, stolen etc.

• Thanks 1

It would be worth your while doing a google on police road cameras, particularly those with automatic number plate recognition and those which can spot drivers using phones etc.

I missed legal eagles post 

On 07/03/2019 at 21:00, blondchaser said:

But even dealers towing with Disco's don't use extension mirrors up here.

Seen a Disco, sign written, advertising towing service, does work for a dealer near me who has three branches, never seen him with towing mirror yet.

28 minutes ago, ad210358 said:

Seen a Disco, sign written, advertising towing service, does work for a dealer near me who has three branches, never seen him with towing mirror yet.

Thats because he’s a “professional” and as such he is clearly better than the “normal” driver  (a bit like most taxi drivers ;) ) so clearly he doesn’t need additional mirrors ! (Probably never uses ANY mirrors anyway) 

I have a pal who insists his transit is wide wide enough for him to not need towing mirrors, and he is TOTALLY unreceptive to any suggestion he may be wrong. 

To me its its common sense, let alone  (in most circumstances) a legal requirement but then after 30 years of traffic patrol what would I know eh??

Andy

• Like 1

Oh Mr. Plodd, 30yrs a traffic cop and still alive to tell the tale !!!

Regarding Disco's, their mirrors are slightly wider than most vans, but not wide enough to meet the criteria set out for angles and distances.

Think Disco drivers are related to BMW / Audi drivers, or perhaps trained at the same school of motoring.  LOL