Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

Ferry price increases

I have just done a trial booking on Brittany website for a ferry in May for Portsmouth - Caen - Portsmouth crossing which I did not complete.  The price seems to have increased by over 10% or more since last year for the same period plus the deposit a lot higher.  Same for the Santander ferry from Portsmouth  return.  Not sure if other ferry companies have increased their prices?  We are Spain Club Voyage members so maybe a crossing will be cheaper with the Caravan Club?

Try clearing all your cookies from the browser... It's fairly well known that travel booking sites will give you a price, which if you don't accept will be higher if you come back to the site later...

• Like 1

The C.C price was about £30 lower using the same parameters.  I have not been onto the Brittany sites since early last year so cookies have been cleared out in the meantime and being a Club voyage member should have made a difference.

Nothing like 10% with P & O across the North Sea from Hull to Rotterdam, nearer to 2 to 3%. 

John.

My bookings with Brittany Ferries for sailings during the winter months have not increased greatly for a few years.   I've already done the booking for next October and it's comparable with last year. 

I always book via the CMC telephone service. Works out cheaper than using their website!

I booked Rotterdam Hull with a Club Class cabin (one way) earlier this week through CMC, it was £66 cheaper than booking direct through P & O. 

We've just booked our return trip through CMC. Hull Zeebrugge and back via Rotterdam in August, traveling weekends with the caravan and two kids.

P&O was about £1000, with CMC at about £850. Adding three nights pitch fees at a nice 5* site dropped the price to £795. We ended up making it six nights which came in at just under £820.  

By my reckoning, that's a CMC saving of about £400 (assuming about £35 per night). That's why we are members.

The only reason I joined the CMC is because I travel back to the UK several times a year and it saves me several hundred quid in ferry and Tunnel crossings.

The choice of route/day/time can make a big difference but we have booked an ITX fare with the Caravan Club for man many years and the savings are in the hundreds of pounds bracket.

This is for a Plymouth-Roscoff crossing with car and van, Thurs night out and Sun morning back so we are on the Pont Aven.

I posted this on the CMC forum in January;

Hi, doing a comparison for my planned 2019 trip. BF price is;

Outbound Sailing
Vehicle and Passengers 305.00 GBP
Inside 2 berth cabin with ensuite facilities, bunk style beds 1 55.00 GBP
Return Sailing
Vehicle and Passengers 325.00 GBP
Total 685.00 GBP

Club price for same is £355.20 BUT that includes 4 vouchers costing £87.80.That makes the ferry £267.40 so a saving of £417.60.

So, if you take the 10% off the BF price by using a BF code its £616.50 so even if I did not use the club site vouchers I am still looking at a minimum saving, over the BF/code price, of £261.30.

As I said this is for my trip using Plym-Rosc return. In regards to why it’s cheaper for a car & van than MH it seems to be because the BF crossings are sometimes ‘caravan goes free’ and using these sailing will be cheaper.

The use of codes etc seems to help some but for us they never get near the savings we get via the club with an ITX fare.

13 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

The use of codes etc seems to help some but for us they never get near the savings we get via the club with an ITX fare.

What is ITX fare? I have heard of ITX for flights but not for a ferry booking. Not heard of it with the club.

ITX = Indepedent Tour Excursion =  package of ferry plus accommodation (or vouchers for accommodation).  Caravan and Motorhome Club certainly sells them 

We have had those vouchers or camping cheques previously.  Not sure if there is a difference, but never been on a site where they are accepted so have ended up giving them away or chucking them in the bin.

Posted (edited)

Camping Cheques are a thing of the past and no longer on sale.  CMC now sells its own vouchers,  and there are about 300 sites across Europe where they are accepted - the Club can give you a list - and as AllanGuest said earlier there are sometimes big savings to be made by buying them as a package with some ferry crossings ( but not always) .

Edited by moorgate

51 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Camping Cheques are a thing of the past and no longer on sale.  CMC now sells its own vouchers,  and there are about 300 sites across Europe where they are accepted - the Club can give you a list - and as AllanGuest said earlier there are sometimes big savings to be made by buying them as a package with some ferry crossings ( but not always) .

Given that the sweet spot seems to be a minimum of 3 nights accommodation, i.e. if you book three nights your ferry is a lot cheaper, I'm not sure why more people don't just pick a CMC site and stay there for three nights. Their sites selection is pretty good.

You might even be able to get the discount with a split booking, e.g. 2 nights at a stopover site at start of holiday and 1 night in the way home.