Sign in to follow this  
robf1234

free wifi

just found out ccc are now doing free wifi on all club sites/// they even sent me a voucher for the remaining  data on my allowance that i had not used  i think this i good,,  bought wifi for years and never used it all ,,hope they dont slow it down as wasn't great to start with ,,

On my club newsletter it said 85% of sites unless there has been a further update.

Ian

Posted (edited)

There was a thread started on this recently - see here.

From the latest on-line magazine -

Wi-fi is now free at the majority of Club Sites.

Coverage and range has also been extended at 29 different Club Sites.

Free wi-fi now covers more than 85% of the Club’s UK site network, with each site having various hotspots that the  site team can direct you towards.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

15 hours ago, robf1234 said:

hope they dont slow it down as wasn't great to start with ,,

Using C&CC free Wifi at wet  Keswick Site, adequate for emails and browsing, bit slow planning routes on Google Maps/Street View etc.....Ping  34 ms  -  Download  1.50 Mb - Uploads 0.66 Mb/s

• Like 1

Hertford C&CCsite.  Better than nothing!

image.thumb.png.051cf1ab0eb2adcbfca374467e7c1537.png

On 07/03/2019 at 10:48, Toein said:

Using C&CC free Wifi at wet  Keswick Site, adequate for emails and browsing, bit slow planning routes on Google Maps/Street View etc.....Ping  34 ms  -  Download  1.50 Mb - Uploads 0.66 Mb/s

+1

That's progress indeed.  Free WiFi !  I've thought for some time that it should be included in the fee for a pitch.  Not bothered about speed as long as it's good enough for mail and browsing that will be fine for me.   :)

John.   

1 hour ago, Leedslad said:

That's progress indeed.  Free WiFi !  I've thought for some time that it should be included in the fee for a pitch.  Not bothered about speed as long as it's good enough for mail and browsing that will be fine for me.   :)

John.   

I agree, but there will always be someone wanting to stream shows and using the bandwidth.

Just like you get a few people abusing the 'free' electricity.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tigger said:

I agree, but there will always be someone wanting to stream shows and using the bandwidth.

Just like you get a few people abusing the 'free' electricity.

Electricity is never free, it is 'included' in the cost, and abuse is simply regulated by the circuit breaker on each pitch, exceed the limit and you get blown out, sadly there isn't an equivalent for wi-fi.  

It's a sad reflection on human nature but however 'nice' we think our fellow caravanners are there is always someone who thinks they can push the limit. 

Edited by jetA1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, jetA1 said:

Electricity is never free, it is 'included' in the cost, and abuse is simply regulated by the circuit breaker on each pitch, exceed the limit and you get blown out, sadly there isn't an equivalent for wi-fi.  

It's a sad reflection on human nature but however 'nice' we think our fellow caravanners are there is always someone who thinks they can push the limit. 

It is possible restrict bandwidth hogs.   But it takes extra time to configure so many implementations don't bother.

Edited by Tigger

I wonder if the Caravan and Motorhome Club will follow the good example set by the Camping and Caravanning Club ?

John.

46 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

I wonder if the Caravan and Motorhome Club will follow the good example set by the Camping and Caravanning Club ?

John.

Bet they won’t

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Bet they won’t

+1

Its a “nice little earner” for the CMC, especially at the prices they are charging! Much better to use any data allowance on your mobile phone first. 

As as an addition to the idea of using your mobile phone data beware if you are on BT mobile with unlimited calls and texts because  they set your data allowance up so that, BY DEFAULT you can run up an extra £40 bill PER MONTH before they even alert you that you have exceeded your free allowance  Its happened to me and I THOUGHT I couldn’t exceed my set allowance. It’s possible to set that limit at £0 so it shuts off and you don’t get stung! but they don’t tell you about it, you have to either ask them to do it or go on line and do it yourself (it’s not easy to find!)

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

I don't think that £25 a year is unreasonable for wifi at CMC sites.

I bet you pay a lot more than that to have it at home and even more to have it on your phone

What is  unreasonable is those sites that charge £10 a week or more although I guess that someone has to pay for the infrastructure and the service costs.

If you don't want to pay it then it's entirely up to you

Posted (edited)

I was on a family site last week with free wi-fi and I did a speed test and it was 56 mb and I even remarked to the owner that's quicker than I get at home .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Posted (edited)

About time it went free. Most places offer it now. I get it on the train to/from work, at the gym, in the coffee shop etc................

not that it bothers me that much as my phone contract is unlimited data - in fact unlimited everything - for £20 a month. 

Edited by Woodie106

If you are with BT for your broadband don’t forget you can use BT Fon to “piggy-back” onto someone else’s BT Wi-fi (it’s fully legit!) 

If you then purchase a Wi-fi extender (about £15 off eBay) poke it out through your roof hatch, and plug that into your laptop you will find that very often it will enable you to connect to a “supply” that’s some considerable distance away. The best I have managed is about 3km across a valley! It also works very well on campsites where the Wi-fi zone is only around the reception area like wot is common in Franceland.

Andy

Posted (edited)

In the last 6 weeks we have stayed at Wolverley and Delamere Club Sites. You have to be fairley  close to the masts to get decent signal, especially at Delamere 

Edited by lunarloopy
Spelling error

We have a Three Mifi as a lot cheaper than any CMC site with the big plus that on the very few C C sites were we have tried their wifi, it has been poor or non existent and then you have a fight to get your money back as the wardens are not interested as not their problem.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, matelodave said:

I don't think that £25 a year is unreasonable for wifi at CMC sites.

I bet you pay a lot more than that to have it at home and even more to have it on your phone

What is  unreasonable is those sites that charge £10 a week or more although I guess that someone has to pay for the infrastructure and the service costs.

If you don't want to pay it then it's entirely up to you

If you only use CMC sites for about 10 days a year £25 is expensive, I am currently on a club site in Dorset and using my MiFi that only costs me £27.99 a year and I can use it on any site that we stay on in UK and Europe, but for some reason not Black Horse Farm at Folkestone

Posted (edited)
On 08/04/2019 at 07:13, Leedslad said:

John.

For the first time in 40 years of camping/carvaning I joined the Caravan Club. and went to Brixham HILLHEAD SITE. I paid for the wi-fi and could not get it to work even though there was a wi-fi repeater no more than 10 yards away. I had to walk up the hill to the kids play area and use my mobile hotspot. Never did get a refund so dumped the cc the following year.  

Edited by rodgthedodge

22 minutes ago, rodgthedodge said:

For the first time in 40 years of camping/carvaning I joined the Caravan Club. and went to Brixham HILLHEAD SITE. I paid for the wi-fi and could not get it to work even though there was a wi-fi repeater no more than 10 yards away. I had to walk up the hill to the kids play area and use my mobile hotspot. Never did get a refund so dumped the cc the following year.  

How long ago was this Rodge, as I see thay have 'silver' standard wifi there now, which is one step above most cc clubsites?

John

Wasn’t free on CCC Site on Skye last week.

£2.99 for half an hour, or £19.99 would have covered our 4 day stay.

With no phone signal to bluetooth to, went without for 4 days, except for free wifi in Information Centres and cafes..

29 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Wasn’t free on CCC Site on Skye last week.

£2.99 for half an hour, or £19.99 would have covered our 4 day stay.

With no phone signal to bluetooth to, went without for 4 days, except for free wifi in Information Centres and cafes..

Contrast that with the current site I am on just south of Amsterdam in The Netherlands. 

It’s a €20 a night ACSI SITE.

Included in that €20 is free Wi-Fi, you get 1Gb for every night you have paid for! You can connect up to 6 devices AND it’s of a decent speed! CMC/CCC and all other UK campsite operators please note! 

Andy

p.s. Lashings of VERY hot water for washing up and showers, the shower block has underfloor heating, the site has a heated indoor pool, a bar, restaurant and reasonably stocked shop, friendly and helpful staff, large well kept pitches and ALL for well  less than twenty quid a night!

I am on a long term ( about 5 months ) stay on a site in France - I checked the Wi-fi availability before I left home and was told they had an arrangement with a company who supplied a “box” for about 180 € which lasted for upto 6 months. Bit expensive perhaps but acceptable. When I arrived at the site a couple of weeks ago I checked the arrangement and found it was going to cost 672 €,  yes 672 €, for the period until I leave in September.  The site had got all the information wrong!  I was not best pleased but the site have given me access to their own system for 20€  a month - this is not brilliant and I suspect when the site gets busy it might be just a little on the intermittent side.  Hopefully ok for emails and the like. 

Just thought I would warn others if they come across the same system as was promised to me.