Sign in to follow this  
matthewantonyjohnson

Caravan Tyres

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Thanks for the links  tried to find the pdf version but failed miserably.  :D  Maybe I missed it but the reference to the cord being exposed does not seem to relate to cracked tyres, but tyres with a cut in them where a blunt instrument can be inserted to check.  BTW what is a "recut" tyre as I do not understand the reference?  Ta!

If any of the structure is exposed by cuts, wear or cracking, it's an offence because the integrity of the tyre has been compromised.

Some tyres on large vehicles (buses & lorries) have much thicker rubber under the tread area which allows the tread to be re-cut once or twice when it gets near the legal limit.

Edited by Legal Eagle

A tyre cutter/regrooving cutter is a tool which cuts more tread in lorry tyres, we used them to give more grip on tyres when bomber racing in my younger days, ........we didn't have phones to play with :lol:

18 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

If any of the structure is exposed by cuts, wear or cracking, it's an offence because the integrity of the tyre has been compromised.

Some tyres on large vehicles (buses & lorries) have much thicker rubber under the tread area which allows the tread to be re-cut once or twice when it gets near the legal limit.

Thanks again LE for the update as something new to learn.  Still cannot find a pdf copy to save to my laptop.  ;)

Posted (edited)
On 30/03/2019 at 13:11, Gordon said:

So you could have a 2019 model caravan, built in 2018, using 2016 tyres and export it later to another country where it may be registered as a 2020 caravan. Our motorhome has a VIN that indicates its true age is two years older than the UK registration plate would imply.

Who said life is simple?

Gordon.

If the caravan was built in 2018 it will always be a 2018 caravan. It can never be a 2020 caravan. In the case of your (registered) motorhome, the number plate only indicates when it was first registered in the UK but that doesn't make it two years younger and it couldn't be sold as such.

Edited by Lutz

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

If the caravan was built in 2018 it will always be a 2018 caravan. It can never be a 2020 caravan.

No but it can be a 2019 as makers usually start 2019 builds after summer 2018

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

If the caravan was built in 2018 it will always be a 2018 caravan. It can never be a 2020 caravan. In the case of your (registered) motorhome, the number plate only indicates when it was first registered in the UK but that doesn't make it two years younger and it couldn't be sold as such.

Our caravan was built and delivered to us in Oct 2017 however it is a 2018 model!  If you buy a 2019 in 2020 is it a 2019 or a 2020 caravan?

I did a Serial no decode on ours, which told me it was a Bailey built in August 2020... ????

The caravan Model Year commences on 1st September of the previous year. 

So a van built on 2nd September this year will be a 2020 model and a caravan built in June next year will also be a 2020 model.

The only leeway on that is that next year's demonstrators are often built during the summer, so some can be at dealerships/shows etc to launch the Model Year on 1st September.

• Like 1