Sign in to follow this  
matthewantonyjohnson

Caravan Tyres

44 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Please do not bring cars into there  completely different as in addition to VIN they have a Reg. No.

Keeping to my J and 2018 it's a Bailey so what does J mean to them?

Dealer took delivery of it Sept. 2018.

The VIN plate will be an international standard for both cars and caravans.

The index or registration number format on vehicles will vary according to the country.

Caravan model years run from September one year to August the following year, so a 2019 model may well be built at the end of 2018.

While talking of dates, the tyres fitted to a "new" caravan can be a year or two old at the time.

So you could have a 2019 model caravan, built in 2018, using 2016 tyres and export it later to another country where it may be registered as a 2020 caravan. Our motorhome has a VIN that indicates its true age is two years older than the UK registration plate would imply.

Who said life is simple?

Gordon.

Thanks so as it was delivered Sept. to the dealer I'm going to take it being made August 2018 as you state it being the last making date.

Posted (edited)

Just adding a couple of photos of sidewall cracks in tyres on my 2015 Elddis Affinity 550 which prompted me to change them.  The tyres are dated 4014 so were presumably original equipment but that makes them less than 5 years old.  I didn't spot any of this cracking last year so must have deteriorated over the winter.  I didn't jack up the caravan over winter to take the weight off the tyres but I will do next year.

I've now replaced them with Maxxis 184R14 104/102N fitted by Kwikfit who did the change at my storage location and had the right kit to handle the Tyron bands.  Good service and reasonable price.

20190409_162748.jpg

20190409_162840.jpg

Edited by pokerwork
  • Like 1

& people keep on asking me why I religiously jack the 'van up over winter; the tyres on my previous 'vans have shown no deteriation even after 7/8 years.
Lack of use & leaving tyres stationary for long periods can only shorten their life.

Either put in the effort or pay the price.....

TBH I don't think cheap tyres would last very long anyway?  My guess that if premium tyres were fitted they would probably last the lifetime of the caravan without cracking.  When it is time to replace our tyres we will be looking for a much better brand of car tyre, not commercial.

3 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

TBH I don't think cheap tyres would last very long anyway?  My guess that if premium tyres were fitted they would probably last the lifetime of the caravan without cracking.  When it is time to replace our tyres we will be looking for a much better brand of car tyre, not commercial.

From my limited experience, premium brands do not age any better than cheap tyres. They may grip better, have lower rolling resistance and wear better, but they suffer UV related cracking just as badly.

I had a demonstration of a car tyre vs caravan tyre the car tyre wasn't up to it.

Also I've seen recommendations between trips cover with thick black plastic to keep sun off.

40 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I had a demonstration of a car tyre vs caravan tyre the car tyre wasn't up to it.

Also I've seen recommendations between trips cover with thick black plastic to keep sun off.

Most twin axles have normal car tyres and not commercial tyres.

Well over the years that hasn't been my experience.

My present caravan will not need me to to consider replacing for 5 years in normal circumstances but I' m sure they are heavy duty or heavy load.

Past caravans have not been normal car tyres and the fast fit places have not stocked the originals.

I've always had to go to a commercial stockist to have originals which have been for vans, or to a caravan dealer who stocked them.

I've had car tyre replaced at 3 years because of cracking, with the caravan I keep the sun off as much as I can.

20160611_115408.jpg

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Ordinary “car” tyres will not have a high enough load rating to be fitted to (single axle) caravans so you will be somewhat limited in your choice.

I often wonder how many of the caravan “incidents” on the road network are due to incorrect load rates tyres being fitted to caravans (and then failing) the problem is that most of the tyres involved are totally destroyed as the result (cause?) of these incidents so it’s  impossible to tell what the tyre was! 

Me? I do my research and fit tyres that are appropriate for my caravan. I needed to replace them on my previous caravan due cracking within the tread grooves so clearly NOT due to sunlight degradation because the sidewalls were fine. It did take a fair period of time to find a tyre outlet that understood what I wanted (load rating wise) worryingly more than one tyre outlet didn’t understand that a caravan tyre needed to have a much higher load rating than a car. It took them another 10 days to actually get them! I can’t for the life of me remember the make of them now, but they were not cheap! (Close on 200% the cost of a “car” tyre of the same size) I work on the theory that it’s better to spend a bit more on a decent tyre than run the risk of looking at your pride and joy after it’s been scattered along many metres of the road due to tyre failure.

(I am also a VERY strong advocate for TPMS as they identify most tyre issues long before they become critical) 

Andy 

6 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Ordinary “car” tyres will not have a high enough load rating to be fitted to (single axle) caravans ...... worryingly more than one tyre outlet didn’t understand that a caravan tyre needed to have a much higher load rating than a car.

I find it amazing that professional tyre fitters are not aware of the load requirement for a tyre that they are fitting. Presumably they are aware that the tyre is for a caravan?  In my case I always take just the wheels to the tyre fitter, not the vehicle, but I say what it is for and specify to them what I want fitted, having done my homework first.

10 hours ago, David 38 said:

Prior to purchasing the Folding Caravan, we bought a 16 months old [used for 1 trip!] trailer tent in April 2016. Took the TT to France in about mid-June and left it at our house there  to avoid the towing, ferry charges and storage fees.

A little less than 12 months later, we returned to France to take the TT on a camping trip - both tyres had enormous side wall cracks - they looked nearer 10 years old than about 16 months and less than 1500 miles usage. You'd think that getting replacement tyres in France for a Trigano Industries TT would be easy ... Had to buy online, from a Spanish business owned by an East German, at €229 for the pair and then had to pay €35 to the local garage to fit them! Then paid £65 for a pair of custom made tyre protectors to be delivered to France. End of tyre wall cracking problems.

Ordered tyre protectors for the Folding Caravan in early October last year - at least these were a standard size!

Steve

marchie 1053

Did you check the date stamp on the tyres?  The TT may have been only 16 months old but the tyres may not have been the originals fitted when new .

Even then the tyres fitted to new units can easily be, and often are, up to 2 years old.

Tyres on the Drive are very good.  They fixed our caravan tyre when it had a nail in it.

1 hour ago, The road toad said:

marchie 1053

Did you check the date stamp on the tyres?  The TT may have been only 16 months old but the tyres may not have been the originals fitted when new .

Even then the tyres fitted to new units can easily be, and often are, up to 2 years old.

IIRC, the original TT tyres may have been about 18 months old. Even so, the cracks on the tyre walls because of sun exposure were really bad. The mechanic who fitted the replacements said the old tyres were 'tres dangereux' and he would not have used the TT!

Steve

The weird thing is that cracked tyres is not a MOT fail and not illegal on the road!

Not sure on that, it certainly is put as an advisory on the certificate had that happen on two cars with low mileage.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

The weird thing is that cracked tyres is not a MOT fail and not illegal on the road!

Certainly illegal if the crack exposes the body cords.

59 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Certainly illegal if the crack exposes the body cords.

That is correct and I worded it incorrectly.  If tyres are cracked but cords not exposed then it is not a MOT failure or illegal as per Section 4.1 of the MOT Inspection manual

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

That is correct and I worded it incorrectly.  If tyres are cracked but cords not exposed then it is not a MOT failure or illegal as per Section 4.1 of the MOT Inspection manual

The MOT Inspection manual is not the law and O2 trailers are not tested in the UK. It's not just about condition but condition and the use the tyre is being put to.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/27/made

You must be looking at the pre-May 2018 MOT manual. Tyres are in Section 5.2.3.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-5-Axles-Wheels-Tyres-and-Suspension.html#section_5.2

Edited by Legal Eagle

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Not really, the outer rubber on sidewalls actually serves little purpose other than to protect the carcass which provides the structural strength, with the  rubber layer inside the carcass containing the air; until the carcass is exposed the tyre is safe.

However it is good practice to replace the tyres as soon as any cracks become significant, just like it is good practice, but not mandatory, to replace tyres when they get close to the legal minimum tread depth.

25 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

The MOT Inspection manual is not the law and O2 trailers are not tested in the UK. It's not just about condition but condition and the use the tyre is being put to.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/27/made

You must be looking at the pre-May 2018 MOT manual. Tyres are in Section 5.2.3.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-5-Axles-Wheels-Tyres-and-Suspension.html#section_5.2

Thanks for the links  tried to find the pdf version but failed miserably.  :D  Maybe I missed it but the reference to the cord being exposed does not seem to relate to cracked tyres, but tyres with a cut in them where a blunt instrument can be inserted to check.  BTW what is a "recut" tyre as I do not understand the reference?  Ta!

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

I got an advisory for cracks with my daughters car tyres, however I'd already ordered a pair as I didn't think they were good enough to drive on.