We will be getting back to Portsmouth from St Malo and would like an overnight stay nearby.

Any site suggestions please.

It would help if you told us in which direction you were heading when leaving the port.  

If west, I'd recommend Carefree Nurseries CL at Fareham, or Rookesbury Park Club Site at Wickham.

14 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

It would help if you told us in which direction you were heading when leaving the port.  

Going north

Hmm, 'North' is still a bit vague - most of the UK is North of Portsmouth!

There's Arden CL at Fareham we stayed there last year;  just be sure to use the directions in the book/on the website.

3 minutes ago, tonyradstone said:

Going north

A year ago I advised a forum member who was heading back to the Midlands and was arriving in Portsmouth very late at night to leave the port and drive for thirty miles, then leave the M3 at junction 9.   On the roundabout follow the directions to the 24hr Tesco and spend the night in their car park.    He reported that it worked fine.

However if you want to book a site, there's DiblesPark about 16 miles away or Rookesbury Park Caravan Club Site

When we used the St Malo ferry we stayed at Morn HIll.  After that we decided the better option was to use the Potsmouth Caen route.  Another option was Portsmouth - St Malo and return Caen Portsmouth.  Worked for us and no over night stops near Portsmouth or St Malo. 

2 hours ago, MalH said:

If west, I'd recommend Carefree Nurseries CL at Fareham, or Rookesbury Park Club Site at Wickham.

Plus 1 for Carefree Nurseries

3 hours ago, MalH said:

These both look very nice , but I am not a member of the C&MCC. I presume its members only

1 hour ago, tonyradstone said:

I am not a member of the C&MCC. I presume its members only

I believe it's one of the sites which takes non-members. (At an extra charge)

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-sites/england/southern-england/hampshire/rookesbury-park-caravan-club-site/

Nice to see the recommendations for Carefree Nurseries as I am booked in there on my return.

Ian

31 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Nice to see the recommendations for Carefree Nurseries as I am booked in there on my return.

Ian

Very nice site - only drawback is the long narrow cart track up to it from the main road.

50 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Ian

Good choice Ian

18 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

Very nice site - only drawback is the long narrow cart track up to it from the main road.

I would not call it a cart track, it has pot holes and so does the M25

Have a look at Dibles caravan park, Warsash SO31 9SA. We stay here when using Portsmouth. Hard standing pitches, showers etc. About 20 mins. from the port.

Have booked into Dibles

On 06/03/2019 at 22:08, Gerald said:

Have a look at Dibles caravan park, Warsash SO31 9SA. We stay here when using Portsmouth. Hard standing pitches, showers etc. About 20 mins. from the port.

I lived in Warsash village from 1987-90; very convenient for Portsmouth crossings! Now I live in the Kingdom of Fife, so my journey south to Newhaven this week will take 2 days and a little over 500 miles. Such is the price of domestic bliss ... :rolleyes:

Steve

We arrived off the ferry in the dark and found Carefree without too much trouble, never found the first holiday inn though.

We were parked in the courtyard but had difficulty seeing the marker, an upturned bin with small writing, and there are quite a few stone ornaments to avoid.

The CL pitches looked easier to use but in daylight there are signs asking you not to drive on the grass so you would have to reverse in or use the mover.

On leaving we came across a builders lorry unloading in the lane and had to wait for him to finish, not helped by the fact he overloaded his crane and had to partly unload by hand.

Further down the lane an oncoming small van suggested I should back up to let him pass as he thought I had driven past a long passing area, not long enough, so we waited for him to finish ranting then he reversed.

Would use it again.

Ian

On 23/03/2019 at 12:28, tonyradstone said:

Have booked into Dibles

Stayed here last night , had a very quiet night.

Also a pint of real ale from the pub under 10 mins walk away.

Thanks to those who suggested site.