Sign in to follow this  
peter and mary

Problem with fridge on gas

We have an elderly motorhome with an electrolux rm212 3 way fridge, it works fine on 12v & 240v, but has a problem when switched to gas. with the other settings correctly adjusted, click the igniter switch on and it clicks away for some time without lighting the gas. gas is getting through to the unit, any suggestions as to what to do, the last service engineer wanted to replace the whole fridge, but there must be a better solution. i could get a whole fridge from ebay (allegedly working ok - but for how long).

any help greatly appreciated

thanks

pete

There are a couple of common problems which the service engineer should have checked for:-

1. clogged jet, they eventually clog up with airborne dust. Easy enough to clean if you are competent to deal with gas appliances.

2. the gas pipes and valves to a fridge often get clogged eventually with a thick greasy substance formed by impurities in the gas condensing out. Again easy enough to clean out if you are competent to deal with gas appliances.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As Steven states there are things very much less radical for the service engineer to do in your case than a fridge replacement. A burner service is almost certainly all that is required if the fridge works on mains.

DIYing it is easy enough, but as you are making the query this largely implies you should seek professional help, using somebody even a bit more competent than the one you used. Most caravan dealers and local independent service engineers ought to be able.

In addition to Stevens points I would add a flue clean. Earlier fridges suffered from rust debris falling down the exhaust tube and "blinding" the burner making lighting more challenging and every bit as importantly the flame burn incorrectly if it lights.

If the bottom vent is ideally placed the whole process can be done in 15 minutes, including the normal professional approach of replacing the jet at the same time. So we should not be taking big bucks, little more than a call out charge.

If the vent is poorly positioned then it is usually easier to pull the fridge out enough inboard, this will significantly increase the labour element though an hour should see it completed. Was that what the engineer said it needed "remove" rather than "replace"?

Edited by JTQ

In addition to the advice above, if the gas initially lights and then goes out, you may have a failed or misaligned thermocouple.

Gordon.

I had a similar problem but chose to get the fridge serviced by a dometic approved mobile chap, £80 for the service and he replaced the burner assembly, it worked well after that :)

I've needed a new burner assembly as well in the past.

Although before I could get the van back to the dealer they were suggesting cobwebs have been a known problem in the burner area.

I think it potentially stops the spark from working.