Sign in to follow this  
Joemdt

Bailey Phoenix 420 - balance issue?

We have just taken collection of our new Bailey Phoenix 420. We love it, it's a great little lightweight van with loads of space, had no problems towing and it's so comfortable. 

However, when we picked it up the dealer warned us to be careful not to go in without the feet down as it had a tendency to want to tip backwards. It wasn't until be we on site and trying to manoeuvre on and off the pitch  that we realised what this meant. As soon as the feet were up and we started to nice it (with the mover) it was really unsteady. My wife had to snag at the front and push down constantly on the jockey wheel to keep it from falling over. 

Has anyone else had this problem? The caravan deliberately doesn't have a front locker to avoid front loading. This sounds sensible but surely it shouldn't be this unsteady? We didn't have anything heavy at the back, just a duvet in the wardrobe an the water carrier in the shower. There would have been nothing in it when the dealer was going in and out?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. 

I've only towed it home from dealer so far and moved it on mover backwards to where it parks at home did it all on my own with no problems it is a Bailey Pursuit 400-2 so I guess similar to yours.

Now I thought it bad practice to go in without the legs down on any caravan as they all liable to tip backwards. 

Regarding tipping when moving it and your wife holding the front down have you got the nose weight wrong?

I'm wondering if you put all your contents at the back.

You're not the only ones. We have a U4 Seville and the noseweight when we got home from the dealers with - essentially - an empty caravan was 31Kg. The most I have <ever> be able to achieve is 53Kg.

Doesn't help that the cooker and gas locker are right at the back I suppose!

Has to be a nose weight issue

Thanks for the replies guys. How do I rectify this though? There is no front locker (gas locker is on the side)  to put things in.  Is this just an issue with all Bailey vans? 

First thing is to determine the actual noseweight. Then to increase it such things as putting the clothes from the rear wardrobe onto the front seats as far forward as possible for travelling. Putting waste water an aquaroll to front of caravan with a blanket, travel rug or similar around them to protect furniture and try again,

I would be aiming at at least 60kg noseweight ideally for stability during towing and, in your case, siting on pitch.

On 03/03/2019 at 22:15, David 38 said:

Now I thought it bad practice to go in without the legs down on any caravan as they all liable to tip backwards. 

I have never had a caravan that would tip when laden for the off but usually have had noseweights of 80kg plus and would not go right to the back wall if I did. But yes it is good practice to drop rear legs before entering.

The laws of physics point firmly to a noseweight issue. Normally fixed by moving contents forward. With as little in the van as you have, you may have to actually add ballast!

From your OP it does sound as if the dealer has had other complaints about this which is why they gave you a warning in subtle terms.

this is really common on light weight two berths (and some larger vans) varying factors can cause this - way it is loaded, how raised up the front is on the jockey wheel, level of the ground to name a couple, this isn't really anything to worry about, just helpful the dealer gave you a warning so you weren't shocked when it happened.

We have a Pursuit 430/4, which although different is also a small Bailey with no front locker - we trim the weight with the awning, which in our case is about 35kg - it typically sits just in front of the axle. I also keep the waste and fresh water containers between the front seats and also heavier clothing items on and under the front seats with lighter ones on the fixed bed.

Works for us and the caravan definitely feels better loaded-up.