Winter in France

I am thinking of spending 2 - 3 months in the south of France this year.   Is it similar to touring in the summer,  just turn up at

a site,  or as there are fewer open is it necessary to book?  Thinking of Aquitane area.  What weather could we expect?

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Any particular reason for wintering in south western France ?

We had very grey days in Jan 2018 and snow in Toulouse region March 2018 & followed the snowploughs from Limoges down to north of Toulouse 2/2/2019 if that helps ! 

There are some sites open but tend to be the open all year part seasonal / part overnight stop ones.

Just fancied a change from staying at home.   Many caravanners seem to spend winter abroad and

enjoy it.  Something different. :)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

26 minutes ago, gravon42 said:

Just fancied a change from staying at home.   Many caravanners seem to spend winter abroad and

You need to be further South Gravon and further West ie Spain for decenti sh weather and then it cannot be guaranteed  

Les

35 minutes ago, gravon42 said:

Many do go abroad but I think most head to southern Spain. Even there you will need heating in the winter.

Judging from the large group of French caravanners that I meet every year down in Andalucia, my guess is that France just isn't warm enough for winter sun.     I've always reconned that you need to be at least as far south as Valencia for assured sunshine.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Back in the 70's, I lived for several years in Ajaccio,  Corsica (where Napoleon was born), and one winters morning I woke up to a blanket of snow!

Didn't last long though and had all thawed by the end of the day!

We were often swimming in the sea by the end of March!

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc
Typo

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

I agree with the above comments about SW France not being very warm in winter.

Many of the sites will be shut because of that.

Go further South, or perhaps to the East, like Nice.

Depending on where you are in Aquitaine, the weather will be much the same as, or colder than, the UK.  Inland France can be bitterly cold in the winter - but equally you can have bright sunshine and blue skies even though it's freezing.  There are sites which are open all year, and if you have a well-insulated van and are prepared then why not try it.   I would have thought that even if booking in advance isn't required, it might be worth a phone call to any site you might want to visit just to check that they are actually open (and accessible in higher parts of the country!!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all your replies,will keep it in mind...................Might not be such a good idea after all!   :unsure: