David 38

Obscuring washroom window

I sometimes say do caravan makers not caravan.

The designer of mine thinks one should use toilet and wash etc. with passers by being able to see you through a clear window!

OK we pull the blind down but that is black out type.

What have others done to improve the situation?

Maybe the blind could be replaced with an opaque one?

John.

We have a rear washroom and clear window and the blind is always closed, we have no problems whatsoever

• Like 1

In b&q they sell self adhesive opaque window film just for this sort of use. It's cheap & easy to install, but I agree that the caravan manufacturers should think to install it before it leaves the factory. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Woodie106 said:

In b&q they sell self adhesive opaque window film just for this sort of use. It's cheap & easy to install, but I agree that the caravan manufacturers should think to install it before it leaves the factory. 

How do we know this does not contain plasticisers, polymers or other adhesive chemicals that will damage the acrylic?

Remember what some cling films did when forums recommended using this before putting a cover on, or where awnings cross windows, and some advertising labels have done..

The answer I suspect is we don't know they are safe to use.

Edit: in an earlier van the rear bathroom window being clear allowed through vision when towing, the access door being designed to be clipped open to facilitate this. Brilliant idea.

Edited by JTQ

47 minutes ago, David 38 said:

The designer of mine thinks one should use toilet and wash etc. with passers by being able to see you through a clear window!

We too have a Pursuit - we close the fly screen all day which is sufficiently opaque, at night time we just swap it for the black out blind.

• Like 2

My Valencia 2 has a highish clear eye level rear window so generally not a problem. I like it & can pull the fly screen or black out blind down as necessary. Allows you to see what's going on behind you if necessary & if on a site overlooking the countryside it's great.  

I think if the window is low down, having it obscured might suit some people. I believe you have to be careful if putting a film on the window as some of these can cause plastic degradation. 

35 minutes ago, JTQ said:

How do we know this does not contain plasticisers, polymers or other adhesive chemicals that will damage the acrylic?

Remember what some cling films did when forums recommended using this before putting a cover on, or where awnings cross windows, and some advertising labels have done..

The answer I suspect is we don't know they are safe to use.

Edit: in an earlier van the rear bathroom window being clear allowed through vision when towing, the access door being designed to be clipped open to facilitate this. Brilliant idea.

You could always ask. 

add a netted curtain ? still lets light in but obscures vision. (that's what a prior owner had done on an ABI we had)

8 minutes ago, Woodie106 said:

You could always ask. 

Seriously, who could you ask who is likely to have a clue?

1 hour ago, JTQ said:

Seriously, who could you ask who is likely to have a clue?

My sentiments exactly!  :D

I keep the flyscreen down permanently but if I need privacy during the day, I close the blind.   On the toilet window of three caravans ago, I fixed the patterned plastic sheet previously mentioned.  

1891440228_Window003.jpg.244beb27e06df98f093c94e03d972004.jpg

It worked fine, however, I haven't used it since because just occasionally I find it useful to have the view through. 

• Like 1

With regard to the use of plastic stick on obscure sheets to caravan windows, having seen and dealt with the results of people using such items I would say do not use them.

Caravan windows are not made of high enough quality materials and the chemicals within the sheets can, and do, have serious potential to ruin the windows.

They are fine on glass, not on plastic.

• Thanks 1

Our previous van had a clear window, but then Coachman decided opaque was the way to go - for some, maybe, but not all. I really miss my clear window. At least I could pull down flyscreens and blinds to give privacy if I wanted it, but I can’t do anything, other than open the window wide, if I want to look out of the new opaque one! 😢

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

Our previous van had a clear window, but then Coachman decided opaque was the way to go - for some, maybe, but not all. I really miss my clear window. At least I could pull down flyscreens and blinds to give privacy if I wanted it, but I can’t do anything, other than open the window wide, if I want to look out of the new opaque one! 😢

I  wonder if Coachman are following this debate.   Maybe I’m wrong, but I still think that an opaque blind would keep most of the people happy, most of the time.   🙂

John.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

We too have a Pursuit - we close the fly screen all day which is sufficiently opaque, at night time we just swap it for the black out blind.

This is a no cost option so I like that :-)   My wife is happy to give this a try so this is what we will do for now.

I think myself a lot will depend on jut where we pitch if on the edge of the site with rear facing towards the fence or hedge it is unlikely to have someone passing behind the caravan.   If in the middle of a site with other caravans or site roads behind might be a bit different.   Anyway will give this a try.

Thanks all for good advice as usual given.

Edited by David 38
  • Like 1

I like a clear window in the loo! Allows me to sit there and gaze on the world!

people around and down comes the blind!

• Haha 1

I use the rear window as a mirror to shave my head in (from outside) Mrs FB can be in the bathroom and I can’t see her!

PS

One or two have said they use this rear widow to be able to see what is behind when towing or they the big 4x4 cars drivers because I'm too low down to be able to see through in my ordinary car.

12 minutes ago, David 38 said:

PS

One or two have said they use this rear widow to be able to see what is behind when towing or they the big 4x4 cars drivers because I'm too low down to be able to see through in my ordinary car.

Yes in my case, I drove then a Land Rover 110 station wagon. The van a Castleton RoadsterHL.

Posted (edited)

I use this sort of stuff. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windows-Film-Non-adhesive-Office-Glass-Film-Static-Cling-Privacy-FOR-All-Surface/352571074096?hash=item5216dfa630:m:mqAAvUrnRmScQ0kuz7YvQrw

It doesn’t have any adhesive to interact with the window, you just spray a mist of soapy water onto the window and then squegee the bubbles out. I have used it for a good few years without any problem. The added advantage is that it’s easily removed. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

In our previous van with clear window, we fitted a heavy patterned net curtain off the market, fitted with wire netting cord and eye screws  to the timber strip holding the false roller blind, it gave daytime privacy whilst still able for us to see out whilst "pondering" In our present van it has an opaque window, but the wife still wanted me to refit it into the window to break up the bland look.

20181203_101043.thumb.jpg.c49b7518b0c9eb9982434414b3d7ca30.jpg

No offence but my wife rejected the idea of lace curtains because of being old fashioned sort of her grandmas era and not a today thing.

Mr Plods system looks a good idea.

3 minutes ago, David 38 said:

No offence but my wife rejected the idea of lace curtains because of being old fashioned sort of her grandmas era and not a today thing.

Mr Plods system looks a good idea.

Each to their own, no offence taken. ;)

• Like 1

On 03/03/2019 at 07:28, David 38 said:

Surely you knew this before you bought the caravan?  Could you have twisted the delaer's arm a bit of an opaque window?