Sign in to follow this  
Jammyjase

Ariston combi boiler auto function

I have an ariston boiler in my static caravan with no thermostat and trv valves on radiators apart from bathroom. The boiler has an auto function and comfort function. How do these work. Should I use them or is just Normal functions better. Water is set to 60 and heating to 70

Cheers

Should be able to find your answer here......

https://www.freeboilermanuals.com/ariston/

Amazing what Google can tell you.

Andy

Tried that and it tells me the auto function will auto adjust boiler due to outside conditions and heating system set up. That tells me nothing of the best way to use it.

It's amazing the lack of info a manual tells you lol

Jason

5 minutes ago, Jammyjase said:

Tried that and it tells me the auto function will auto adjust boiler due to outside conditions and heating system set up. That tells me nothing of the best way to use it.

It's amazing the lack of info a manual tells you lol

Jason

OK, Fair point, sorry !

Andy

Ha ha it's ok. I just think people on here can explain stuff so much better than a manual. That and the fact I don't understand the manual lol

It's probably along the lines of: it senses the outside air temperature in the airflow for combustion, if it's colder outside it will increase the flow temperature to the radiators, if it's warmer it will reduce it.

AJG

How do I know if it has one of those sensors or are they part of the boiler

External weather compensating will require external sensor...  that will be a wire going to something located outside.  An example from Screwfix.

The boiler's 'commissioning handbook' may have some details of the Controls that have been installed... more so with a new one that has to meet the Boiler Plus requirements? (google the term to find out more).   If the controls are there they ought to reduce your energy use while maintaining a comfortable temperature.  If you switch off them you may find you use more energy due to having to manually adjust controls yourself.

In theory part of the commissioning process is to walk the end user through the operating principles and controls.  But that bit gets missed on new builds etc.,. as they are installed early on and only sold to the end user later.

A bit more info than "an Ariston boiler" might help a bit more - what model is it. When was it installed and by whom.

Most heating systems usually have a thermostat somewhere together with a time switch/programmer so you might improve your heating cost & perfomance by fitting a programmable thermostat to control the internal temperatures.

As suggested above, weather compensation usually adjusts the heating flow temperature  in conjunction with an outside sensor by increasing the radiator temperature when it's colder and reducing it when it's warmer. You need to look for an external sensor or check whether one has been installed/wired into the control panel.

However, if you dont have a room stat or trv's then it's a fair chance you dont have weather compenstion either. What switches the central heating pump on & off, just relying on the boiler stat to control the heating with a continuously running pump doesn't sound ever so efficiemt

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rodders53 said:

External weather compensating will require external sensor... 

No necessarily, it can sense the air temperature from the incoming combustion air as said earlier.

Edited by AJGalaxy2012

Posted (edited)

Sorry I'm not understanding air temperature from incoming combustion air. Would someone be able to elaborate. Boiler is an e-combi Evo.  Cheers 

Edited by Jammyjase

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Jammyjase said:

Sorry I'm not understanding air temperature from incoming combustion air. Would someone be able to elaborate. Boiler is an e-combi Evo.  Cheers 

It does not measure the temperature of the combustion air - it need an external sensor connected to the boiler control panel to allow weather compensation. - see Rodders' post above, they are available from Screwfix for around £12

You can go into the Aristom website and download the installation manuals i f you havent got a copy and it shows you where to connect the external sensor and where a room stat should be connected. IMO you would be better off fitting a programmable stat so control the inside temperature of your van, house, bungalow or whatever.

to save you the effort - here a manual, page 30 shows the connections required https://www.ariston.com/uk/Wall-Hung_Boilers_Combi/media/files/143_875_E-Combi evo Installation Manual (ErP Compliant).pdf

Edited by matelodave