:Thankyou:

26 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

I buy mine on Amazon at shop prices including delivery.

:goodpost:

Using Amazon is probably one of the reasons many shops are closing. I try not to use Amazon if possible since whilst they provide a good service, they are taking a cut in everything bought through them and maybe eventually could lead to higher prices as well as the loss of the high street. Many of the companies who sell through Amazon also sell direct through their own websites and can be cheaper this way without Amazon's cut.

The Fenwicks Overwintering solution really does keep the green stuff at bay.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

Using Amazon is probably one of the reasons many shops are closing. I try not to use Amazon if possible since whilst they provide a good service, they are taking a cut in everything bought through them and maybe eventually could lead to higher prices as well as the loss of the high street. Many of the companies who sell through Amazon also sell direct through their own websites and can be cheaper this way without Amazon's cut.

If I can get stuff with next day delivery rather than either, pay extra for delivery and wait several days  for the Post Office to get motivated or alternatively get into the car, drive 20-30 miles each way and have to pay several ££ to park the car to get stuff because it's not available locally what would you do?

I'm afraid it's Amazon for us for the convenience and cost advantages. I wanted a drive belt for our tumble dryer a couple of weeks ago, it broke on a Saturday afternoon. the new one was delivered by midday on Sunday and the machine was up and running by the time my wife had made lunch. Cost £6.85 (we do pay for Prime but we get maximum value out of it).

I dont know where the nearest repair man is and I'd guess that he'd use Amazon as well to get his bits but I suggest that he wouldn't have turned out at lunchtime on Sunday. He probably would have charge nigh on the cost of our Prime membership as well.

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1

Try Halfords, that is where I bought my last bottle of BD....

geoff

• Like 1

PaulB

if there's a Boyes near you they could have most Fenwicks products at competitive prices.  Our local ones do. (Derbyshire)

Yes Boyes are great for Fenwicks ( and AutoGlym).

geoff

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shipbroker said:

Yes Boyes are great for Fenwicks ( and AutoGlym).

geoff

Prima leisure sell a wide range of caravan cleaners and maintenance products for both Caravans / Motor homes.😉👍

10 minutes ago, OMF said:

Prima leisure sell a wide range of caravan cleaners and maintenance products for both Caravans / Motor homes.😉👍

Yeah, at a price !!!

Check out other suppliers first.

Andy

That's  called choice , you pay's your  money and makes your own mind up. It's not always the dearest or the cheapest that's best  but  also consider value for YOUR  money.😉

Nogger now you have the AutoGlym polish try using it on the windows to get those fine swirl marks off that annoy you when sun is on them !

Autoglym for me every time, caravan, car, oh car and my classic great range of products and work well.

Also a big fan of Amazon, convenience and price works for me, have got time, patience or inclination to wander around shops that's OH's job :D and she does it so well:excl:

On 02/03/2019 at 16:38, Nogger said:

Why can i not remove a black streak using fenswick product on a 2016 coachman.

I have used  1in10 product as per instructions. On several attempts but failed. 

Not at all impressed with Fenswick .waste of money 

Q

Hi, I'm sorry to read your critiqe of Fenwicks but here are few  handy hints that you might like to try.  (1)  Starting at the bottom of the  unit useing Fenwicks cleaner upwards useing a spray bottle on a nice gentle spray (2) rinse off from top to bottom with Bobby Dazzler  this will help to shift and lift any dirt etc.and leave a protective coating, it  makes cleaning easier next time. Cheers OMF

Hi OMF - just want to point out that Nogger may not read your admiral suggestion as hasn't been on the forum since April 12th. So hope he returns sometime.

4 hours ago, WispMan said:

Hi OMF - just want to point out that Nogger may not read your admiral suggestion as hasn't been on the forum since April 12th. So hope he returns sometime.

Hi, I didn't realise it was that long ago let's hope all is OK with him and thanks for the update . Cheers OMF

I`ve owned five caravans and three motorhomes over the years and by far the easiest and most effective cleaner is  Fenwicks provided you use a drip strip to reduce staining in the first place, remove any black streaks immediately and give a good coat of Dazzler. The easiest surface to keep clean is steel (panel van) followed by a painted aluminium and the worst GRP as any staining tends to be a permanent stain after a period of time. The worst way of cleaning is using polish  (except on steel) as again eventually it will hold the stain. GRP looks grubby and loses its gloss after 4-5 years aluminium (if you can avoid the dents) will stay looking good longer and steel is the best.  Unfortunately UV and weather will destroy your pride and joy no matter what you do.

9 hours ago, compact said:

Unfortunately UV and weather will destroy your pride and joy no matter what you do.

Not strictly true.  UV won't effect GRP if you maintain it with either a wax a couple of times a year, or if you look at my Motorhome below, this was sealed with our own Paint seal when it was new in 2015.  This hasn't been waxed since, only washed with the right products, and this is the result 4 years later after an hour of washing.  If you maintain your pride and joy, or have it protected, it should stay looking this way for as long as you own it.  My Motorhome is full GRP, but the same applies with all the other construction materials. 

20190411_121243.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 02/03/2019 at 17:12, Grandpa Steve said:

Alway found all the Fenwicks product to be very good.

I use a 10% solution of Caravan Cleaner in a trigger bottle to pretreat the black streaks, leave for 5 minutes and then just was as normal, any stubborn black streaks usually go with a second squirt and a little agitation with a sponge.

As has been said, it is probably something else that is preventing the Fenwicks from doing its job.

Hi Steve and thanks , Fenwicks have always advocated washing from the bottom of the Caravan and Motorhome keeping the offending  Black&white streaks at bay and your sleaves dry.  Cheers Omf

Edited by OMF
The usual---- ( spelling mistakes)

In my elevated days in 'The City' our office Rolls Royce chauffeurs always washed bottom upwards as they had been taught..........

geoff 

Anyone know why they wash bottom upwards? It seems illogical to me to risk rubbing the dirt from the lower areas (always dirtiest) into the paint further up.

12 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Anyone know why they wash bottom upwards? It seems illogical to me to risk rubbing the dirt from the lower areas (always dirtiest) into the paint further up.

If your caravan or car is really dirty and you start at the top the shampoo as it runs down will soak into the dirt and leave streaks which will need a lot of elbow grease to remove, cutting and polishing. 

Start at the bottom and work up, there’s no dirt to catch and hold the shampoo. It’s why I always wash the roof last. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

It’s why I always wash the roof last. 

So all the dirty water and grime off the roof runs down your nice and clean  “just washed” sides? 

Seems somewhat counter intuitive to me!

Tourershine, what’s your view on this “wash from the bottom up” theory?

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

2 hours ago, shipbroker said:

In my elevated days in 'The City' our office Rolls Royce chauffeurs always washed bottom upwards as they had been taught..........

geoff 

Thats where I learnt it from, my Dad who chauffeured many famous people around Manchester previously served his time at Cockshoots,as you probably knew were coach and body  builders for Rolls Royce. 

Roger

One of my early jobs was washing cars for Godfrey Davis in Leeds. Wet, wash, rinse and wet the next car. Always washed (and rinsed) from top down as instructed and as is logical. We didn't do washing bottom upwards, but there were no RR cars at Gelderd Rd.

If the shampoo has time to soak into the dirt at the bottom of the car, I humbly suggest you're not working fast enough. :ph34r:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

So all the dirty water and grime off the roof runs down your nice and clean  “just washed” sides? 

Seems somewhat counter intuitive to me!

Tourershine, what’s your view on this “wash from the bottom up” theory?

Andy

Because the van sides  are clean and still wet from the Autoglym caravan cleaner it runs straight off. If you wash the roof first all the shampoo runs down the dirty sides  and causes streaks. I too got my info from a Rolls Royce trained chauffeur. 

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo