Sign in to follow this  
oldboy

C&CC discount

The Camping & Caravanning club is desperate to attract Family with 20% discount and Age concession with a further 10% during the peak summer period on some of their main sites.  

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/UKCS/offers/touring/familypromotion/?utm_source=Sentori&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=CCCE%3A+Offers+-+01.03.19

Perhaps they would not be so desperate if some of their wardens learnt to deal with people diplomatically! A few years ago on three different sites we encountered some rather very rude wardens who approached us however on another site the warden was a perfect gentleman and very helpful. 

On another occasion we went on a rally with a forum and were parked up on a C&CC site.  The warden came out with a tape measure and made a caravan move that was less than 6" under the 6 foot guideline.  The knock on effect was that the rest of the caravans also had to move as they no longer had the 6 foot gap.  Luckily this was only for 2 or 3 other caravans.  This was at St Ives and think you will remember it as you were there.  ;)

In addition, I had to pay £5 for the key to the disabled toilet which was not really a problem except when it came to hand back the key.  OH had to stand at the back of the queue which was quite long to get back the £5.  We still have the key as she gave up after about 20 minutes!

• Like 1

Durnanite, it was st Neots, not St Ives. I think the C&CC is loosing out since they become greedy and changed the way the charge for their site fees.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Perhaps they would not be so desperate if some of their wardens learnt to deal with people diplomatically! A few years ago on three different sites we encountered some rather very rude wardens who approached us however on another site the warden was a perfect gentleman and very helpful. 

On another occasion we went on a rally with a forum and were parked up on a C&CC site.  The warden came out with a tape measure and made a caravan move that was less than 6" under the 6 foot guideline.  The knock on effect was that the rest of the caravans also had to move as they no longer had the 6 foot gap.  Luckily this was only for 2 or 3 other caravans.  This was at St Ives and think you will remember it as you were there.  ;)

In addition, I had to pay £5 for the key to the disabled toilet which was not really a problem except when it came to hand back the key.  OH had to stand at the back of the queue which was quite long to get back the £5.  We still have the key as she gave up after about 20 minutes!

We joined last year and went around a few sites to have a look we did not bother booking, and I have to agree most of them need a 'personality transplant' I will not be renewing this year.

Edited by Oscarmax

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

On another occasion we went a rally with a forum and were parked up on a C&CC site.  The warden came out with a tape measure and made a caravan move that was less than 6" under the 6 foot guideline.  The knock on effect was that the rest of the also had to move as they no longer had the 6 foot gap.  Luckily this was only for 2 or 3 other caravans. 

Your problem there was not the C&CC's warden, but the forum's rally officer who either did not bother getting the spacing correct or could not use a tape measure.

Should there have been a fire incident where damage or even worst occurred, then most of us would like to think the C&CC's insurers would pay out. The C&CC warden was making sure all those involved had that protection by keeping within the regulations and their T&Cs.

Hopefully no van's were ever allowed to be just 6 feet apart, when the rules are at least 6 metres apart.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought that the C&CC were known as the friendly club.  There seems to be discounts across the board. That tells me that they are having problems getting bookings. 

I've only ever encountered one jobsworth warden, whose wife directed us to their choice of pitch and stood talking to us while we were erecting our 30' x 18' tent.  She even confirmed that where I placed the footprint groundsheet was OK.

Having got it 3 /5ths erected, over he comes  and says we had to move the tent back 1 foot, as it was too close to the Freedom caravan in front.

So we had to un-peg and move back close to a boundary wire fence and put the top rear guy rope  through the fence and peg it in the adjoining field, which was not owned by the C&CC.  Complete madness.

It would have been much easier for the Freedom to be moved forward, especially as it was still hitched to the car, but as it was there first, that wasn't an option.  The next morning the Freedom and car left!

Other than that, we've never encountered  a problem with wardens.

DSCF6140.JPG

DSCF6153.JPG

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Your problem there was not the C&CC's warden, but the forum's rally officer who either did not bother getting the spacing correct or could not use a tape measure.

Should there have been a fire incident where damage or even worst occurred, then most of us would like to think the C&CC's insurers would pay out. The C&CC warden was making sure all those involved had that protection by keeping within the regulations and their T&Cs.

Hopefully no van's were ever allowed to be just 6 feet apart, when the rules are at least 6 metres apart.

JTQ, it was not a forum rally as such it was just a meet, everyone booked separately

Edited by oldboy

30 minutes ago, Wunny said:

I've only ever encountered one jobsworth warden, whose wife directed us to their choice of pitch and stood talking to us while we were erecting our 30' x 18' tent.  She even confirmed that where I placed the footprint groundsheet was OK.

Having got it 3 /5ths erected, over he comes  and says we had to move the tent back 1 foot, as it was too close to the Freedom caravan in front.

So we had to un-peg and move back close to a boundary wire fence and put the top rear guy rope  through the fence and peg it in the adjoining field, which was not owned by the C&CC.  Complete madness.

It would have been much easier for the Freedom to be moved forward, especially as it was still hitched to the car, but as it was there first, that wasn't an option.  The next morning the Freedom and car left!

Other than that, we've never encountered  a problem with wardens.

DSCF6140.JPG

DSCF6153.JPG

I had the same situation with a Warden on Loch Lomond it was raining when I arrive I manage to set up with the awning up the next morning the warden came round asking me to move sideways by 6 inches it was still raining and the site was empty during my 6 days stay.

44 minutes ago, joanie said:

I thought that the C&CC were known as the friendly club.  There seems to be discounts across the board. That tells me that they are having problems getting bookings. 

I think the problem arises when they become too greedy and changed the price structure.

1 minute ago, oldboy said:

JTQ, it was not a forum rally as such it was just a meet, everyone booked separately.

Okay, so it was not a "rally" as had been stated here, but nevertheless the pitching was in contravention of the C&CCs site rules, probably the LA's, and the underwriters.

That being so, it was in this case the attendees not keeping to them, then what else is expected of the warden?

The point I made still remains.

• Like 1

While I’ve never encountered being asked to move, I have had a ccc warden turn me away. He disliked us as we 4 arrived on motorbikes, after complaining and it being taken seriously I’m led to believe he’s had a flea in his ear. 

Which would be my response to anyone asking to move our sites caravan by 6”. I’ll pitch it where I’m told, I’m not going to move it later. 

Thankfully, not an issue on our preferred CS’s, normally loads of space to spare. 

15 minutes ago, oldboy said:

I think the problem arises when they become too greedy and changed the price structure.

If they do have any occupancy issues as that is what matters not "bookings" only booking that yield attendance, then IMO it is the hidden specific pricing that is at least my biggest gripe.

Another issue might be for some, though, not us, the steep deposits and lack of flexibility if not able to honour one's booking. 

As a casual observer the CMC is the one struggling more with term time mid week occupancy issues> The C&CC has found a cure to ease that by better facilitating the only real section  of their membership free to use them at that time.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oldboy said:

I had the same situation with a Warden on Loch Lomond it was raining when I arrive I manage to set up with the awning up the next morning the warden came round asking me to move sideways by 6 inches it was still raining and the site was empty during my 6 days stay.

To be honest I think if had been asked to move such a small distance, I would have obliged the warden and kept moving out through the gate. Obviously accurate parking is important but someone that pedantic really has no place as a warden.

Gordon.

• Like 2

happened to us in the CMC.  We were at the peg at the back but the front was over about a foot, we knew it but thought that it wouldn't matter as there was room for another pitch between us and the next pitch, but you know what thought did.  the pitch was a bit uneven so after setting everything up apart from the awning we were  told to straighten it up.  We did but it was annoying .

Posted (edited)

Interesting comments, only been a member of C&CC just over a year and not encountered any of the problems described. Of the four club sites we used all were very accomodating and helpful.

As for the refund policy I have had two full refunds one last year and one this year, one cancelled a couple of weeks before and the other 3 months.

J

Edited by Idleness
  • Like 1

Wow, that's the fastest thread drift I've ever seen on this forum … the OP introduces the topic of the C&CC's discounts and the first reply turns it into a rant at the wardens! (which a later poster pointed out was mis-directed anyway :unsure:).

It leads me to wonder why we are not allowed on this forum to criticise businesses such as caravan dealers, but we are allowed to criticise the 2 main caravan clubs who, as many members constantly point out, are businesses in all but name?

7 hours ago, joanie said:

Joanie, it just tells me that they're simply being 'friendly' :)

5 hours ago, Gordon said:

Obviously accurate parking is important but someone that pedantic really has no place as a warden.

Personally, I think that pedantic-ness is a good trait for a warden … if he or she doesn't uphold the rules on the site then no-one will, and it will become a free-for-all as regards health and safety, etc.

1 hour ago, Idleness said:

Interesting comments, only been a member of C&CC just over a year and not encountered any of the problems described.

Same here Idleness … in my case substitiute 'just over a year' for 'just over 32 years' :).

John

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JTQ said:

Okay, so it was not a "rally" as had been stated here, but nevertheless the pitching was in contravention of the C&CCs site rules, probably the LA's, and the underwriters.

That being so, it was in this case the attendees not keeping to them, then what else is expected of the warden?

The point I made still remains.

I made a mistake in the post and should have said 6m and not 6 foot so less than 6 inches should not have been a big deal!.  Sorry for the confusion.

great news, I recommend people here in N.Ireland regularly BUT not because fo the clubs sites, because of the DA's and the heavy discounts for going off grid. Here in N.Ireland the commercial sites book up early and you basically struggle to get away at short notice. IF you join the CCC and keep up with the DA's you have a choice of 3 or 4 sites most weekends that rarely need booking at all. Just turn up.

Added a solar panel and use gas so no need for EHU. Kids like playing with the same kids on different sites (fun exploring etc)

We are members for 4 years now and will rarely book a commercial site (unless one of the DA's has negotiated a heavy group discount for us)

• Like 2

OH has just reminded me of the last time we used a C&CC site which was the flagship site in Malvern.  On our return from the funeral of a relative we found that our home had been flooded out and we needed a place to stay not far from our home so we booked into the Malvern site.  On arrival we explained our circumstances and told the wardens that although at that point we had only booked in for 4 nights there was a strong possibility that we would need to extend our stay.

Went in on the Thursday to advise the warden we would be staying at least another week.  The lady warden said no problem just come down on the Friday to pay for the balance as they could not take payment as we were already booked in. 

On the Friday at about midday we had the male warden shouting at us because we we still on the site and he would not listen to reason.  Anyway trotted down to office to pay for another week and told they cannot take a booking as we need to pay a deposit first and I must do it online???  Back to caravan to pay deposit Online etc.  Eventually got it sorted with the lady who was quite helpful.

Next some friends came to visit us.  His wife goes into the office to explain that the husband is disabled and cannot walk the distance.  Lady in the office tells her as it is quiet to go in and park next to our caravan. So now we have two cars next to our caravan both Yaris size cars.  Male warden comes across and starts shouting at us again about two cars on pitch.  We try and explain and he is having none of it.  Our friends who were members of the C&CC decided to leave.  Shortly afterwards they cancelled their membership.

Lastly but not least.  We were parked on a hardstanding and had erected a windbreak to keep the dogs contained.  As the hard standing made it difficult to knock in the poles, we put some of the poles into the grass so they were about 3-4" from the edge of the pitch.  Same male warden came across and again started shouting at us for having the windbreak there as he cannot mow the lawn.  Did I mention that this was February?

What really got us was the male warden always shouting at us so that the whole site could hear him.  At the end of the week we manage to find another site and stayed there for the next 2 1/2 months while the house was made habitable again.  Actually in 2015 we did join again and went to book some sites in Scotland only to find out you could not book either a Friday or Saturday and had to book a minimum of two nights on a weekend.  When travelling a bit of a hassle.  Although it never affected us apparently there was a charge if you happen to arrive 5 minutes before the dreaded 12pm.  At that time it was not clear when you joined.  We cancelled membership and got a full refund!

No wonder the C&CC or so called friendly club are desperate for members!

I've been a member of the C&CC for over 30 years never had a problem admitted not used their commercial sites a vast amount but when we have no trouble at all. The only problem with a warden we have experienced  is with the CMC club.  I suppose we all have bad days.

Maybe if you are continually having problems the fault may lie elsewhere 😉

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CraigP2005 said:

I've been a member of the C&CC for over 30 years never had a problem admitted not used their commercial sites a vast amount but when we have no trouble at all. The only problem with a warden we have experienced  is with the CMC club.  I suppose we all have bad days.

Maybe if you are continually having problems the fault may lie elsewhere 😉

We did think so, but have never had an issue anywhere close on any C.C site or commercial site that we have used.  We tend to obey the rules to the letter as we have dogs however on the last C&CC site in Malvern it was as if the male warden was deliberately picking on us even though we kept out of his way.  No issue with the female wardens in the office and they could not have been more helpful.  Just to add we did raise a formal complaint and it later came to light that we were not the only ones to complain about his attitude.

I perhaps should add I present myself in a fully submissive state. I basically turn up lay on my back and wait for my belly to be tickled.  Sometimes that gets better results.🤣🤣🤣

• Confused 1

On 03/03/2019 at 11:17, Durbanite said:

We did think so, but have never had an issue anywhere close on any C.C site or commercial site that we have used.  We tend to obey the rules to the letter as we have dogs however on the last C&CC site in Malvern it was as if the male warden was deliberately picking on us even though we kept out of his way.  No issue with the female wardens in the office and they could not have been more helpful.  Just to add we did raise a formal complaint and it later came to light that we were not the only ones to complain about his attitude.

I think you were very unlucky.  Possibly there was more going on than a bad attitude.  One warden was telling me about an ex colleague who went right off his trolley and was moving people round the site willy nilly.   Obviously it must take management a while to pick up on such situations.