Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jetA1

New navigation tool ....

Recommended Posts

I can see how it would be useful but how long until built in systems cope with it.

 

I use Lat/Long all the time but my car only accepts deg, min, sec, so I have to convert most from decimal, dead easy as I have an excel spreadsheet which I use during the planning process.

 

Not infallible though as last year I had the lat of one site and the long of another and ended up on a dirt trail in the Spanish mountains, would have been great fun but we had the van on the back.

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

What some seem to be missing here is that it is a means of identifying a very specific, and small, point on the earths surface. It is NOT meant to be a navigation system .

 

4

 

You can blame me for that. I started the thread and on reflection was wrong to call it a new navigational tool, a point which I have since corrected up thread. However, if people join in the thread based only on the title and the last couple of postings then my correction is missed. 

 

What3words defines very precise locations on the planet, which I think it does in a novel way. However, it then requires a navigation system to guide the journey from one location to the other. 

 

Apparently, Ford are somehow interfacing What3words with their latest car navigation sytem, I'd be interested to see how that looks. 

Edited by jetA1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the whole GPS system being updated in the new future with the format changing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Isn't the whole GPS system being updated in the new future with the format changing?

Not really, it's just that some of the old stuff is being turned off/made unavailable and not all devices can get by without the old stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want the same type of system that will work on your Tomtom device then use the original system, Mapcode which which was designed in 2001 by Pieter Geelen and Harold Goddijn the founders of TomTom.  What3words was not founded until 2013. 

Use the app to find the locations you want then the use the code to input to your Tomtom device under address.  This is very useful as previously stated when looking for a isolated location where the postcode covers a large area.

Web page: http://www.mapcode.com/index.html?iso3=112&ifrom=getcoordst&mapcode=49.4V&xx=4.908543375&yy=52.37651400000124

 

Ps the codes do not work in the TomTom MyDrive app but do in the actual devices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Stevan said:

Not really, it's just that some of the old stuff is being turned off/made unavailable and not all devices can get by without the old stuff.

I have found out that the issue is to do with the date system on older satellite system.  Make a note of April 6th in your diary, on that date it's feared that many older GPS systems may stop working as yet another hard-coded date bug is triggered. The first such issue affecting GPS occurred on Aug 21, 1999.

Like the Y2K bug that caused a great deal of worry (but thankfully few issues), this one is caused by the exact same issue, a hard-coded 10-digit timestamp that will rollover on April 6th. When that happens, some older systems may be unable to calculate a positional fix.

The problem, like all these data bug problems, originates in the way that devices calculate time. Starting with the date of January 6, 1980, GPS devices count weeks using a 10-bit number field hard-coded into the software. With two to the tenth power being 1,024, that means that GPS devices with a 10-bit number field can count up to 19.7 years which was Aug 21, 1999 when calculated from January 1980. On that date, most GPS devices started counting from zero again without issue but some didn't. Now another 19.7 years has passed and the issue rears its head one again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Griffy said:

If you want the same type of system that will work on your Tomtom device then use the original system, Mapcode which which was designed in 2001 by Pieter Geelen and Harold Goddijn the founders of TomTom.  What3words was not founded until 2013. 

 

Does Mapcode have built in error checking? If an entry is miskeyed in What3words it either fails to find a location, or returns an obviously wrong location (not anywhere near the intended location). Other systems tend to return a location near enough right to be misleading but not near enough to be helpful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stevan said:

Does Mapcode have built in error checking? If an entry is miskeyed in What3words it either fails to find a location, or returns an obviously wrong location (not anywhere near the intended location). Other systems tend to return a location near enough right to be misleading but not near enough to be helpful

Sorry I do not understand your question. I am not an expert on this application but this is how I use it.

If I am looking for a remote location (campsite/CL)  I zoom in on the app in hybrid mode and position the cursor over the entrance to the site, then copy the  mapcode at the bottom of the page as an address into my TomTom satnav the it calculates the route to the site. Or if you are at a remote location and you need to give directions to someone then you open the app and press the location button at bottom right corner and read the mapcode and give it to the person as long as they have a TomTom satnav.

Hope this helps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Griffy said:

Sorry I do not understand your question. I am not an expert on this application but this is how I use it.

If I am looking for a remote location (campsite/CL)  I zoom in on the app in hybrid mode and position the cursor over the entrance to the site, then copy the  mapcode at the bottom of the page as an address into my TomTom satnav the it calculates the route to the site. Or if you are at a remote location and you need to give directions to someone then you open the app and press the location button at bottom right corner and read the mapcode and give it to the person as long as they have a TomTom satnav.

Hope this helps.

 

With most methods, if you make a mistake keying in the location, or copying it down you end up directed to the wrong place, frequently a few hundred yards or a few miles away. Something you only realise when the device tells you "you have reached your destination" but plainly you have not.

With What3words a mistake either comes back as invalid location or something so far wrong that it obviously wrong (wrong country etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stevan said:

With most methods, if you make a mistake keying in the location, or copying it down you end up directed to the wrong place, frequently a few hundred yards or a few miles away. Something you only realise when the device tells you "you have reached your destination" but plainly you have not.

With What3words a mistake either comes back as invalid location or something so far wrong that it obviously wrong (wrong country etc.).

It is easy to check you have the right location, when the satnav has calculated the route then go into current route then show instructions then scroll down to destination and tap it, the device will show your destination on the map and you can check  the map on the satnav against the mapcode map ( check you are on the same road and area).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Griffy said:

It is easy to check you have the right location, when the satnav has calculated the route then go into current route then show instructions then scroll down to destination and tap it, the device will show your destination on the map and you can check  the map on the satnav against the mapcode map ( check you are on the same road and area).

 

Yes you can, but What3words self checks, it's right or it's nonsense, the chances of being not quite right are infinitesimal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Yes you can, but What3words self checks, it's right or it's nonsense, the chances of being not quite right are infinitesimal.

But What3words does not work on satnav.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Griffy said:

But What3words does not work on satnav.

 

Not yet but ever?

geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shipbroker said:

 

Not yet but ever?

geoff

 

I'm not so sure about that. I've literally just been playing with the what3words app on my iPhone and have discovered a feature that I did not know was there. And in a way, I'd say W3W does work with satnav. 

 

If I locate a position in the W3W app there are various short cuts from the app to other functions, including Google maps,

 

So I can locate a position in W3W and in one tap of the screen set it as a destination in Google maps and then navigate there. That is fine for me as I like the way the navigation works on Google maps.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

 

Not yet but ever?

geoff

TomTom made an announcement last year stating that they were going to incorporate What3words into there systems. But when I asked them for a implementation date they would not give one but intimidated that it would not be soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

 

I'm not so sure about that. I've literally just been playing with the what3words app on my iPhone and have discovered a feature that I did not know was there. And in a way, I'd say W3W does work with satnav. 

 

If I locate a position in the W3W app there are various short cuts from the app to other functions, including Google maps,

 

So I can locate a position in W3W and in one tap of the screen set it as a destination in Google maps and then navigate there. That is fine for me as I like the way the navigation works on Google maps.  

 

 

Both systems can do that but as far as I know you cannot set either for large vehicles, so there is a good possibility of being sent down unsuitable roads if towing. 

Both systems are basically the same, they both work by dividing the Earth in 3 meter squares and then giving each a unique ID. The only difference is Mapcode use a country code followed by a  unique ref number while What3words use three words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Griffy said:

TomTom made an announcement last year stating that they were going to incorporate What3words into there systems.

 

 

After all the years they've been in production, not all their devices accept GPS coordinates for programming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Griffy said:

Both systems can do that but as far as I know you cannot set either for large vehicles, so there is a good possibility of being sent down unsuitable roads if towing. 

Both systems are basically the same, they both work by dividing the Earth in 3 meter squares and then giving each a unique ID. The only difference is Mapcode use a country code followed by a  unique ref number while What3words use three words.

3

 

Programming for large vehicles is an entirely different matter, that goes to the heart of the 'navigation' element of a system as distinct to location finding. I doubt if navigation that accounts for road and vehicle compatibility will ever be 100% accurate as it relies on a physical survey of the road and the information is only reliable at the instant the survey takes place. After the event, anything can change and the only way it can be picked up is by a further survey, any system that relies on physical updates can never be 100% reliable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...