Sign in to follow this  
Leedslad

How will Brexit affect my holidays in Europe? BBC.

2 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Before Brexit, acquiring another EU citizenship does not require renunciation of UK citizenship. Whether this will continue to apply after Brexit is unclear at this time.

At present you can be a dual citizen for many countries around the world so even after the Brexit that should not be an issue.

5 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Before Brexit, acquiring another EU citizenship does not require renunciation of UK citizenship. Whether this will continue to apply after Brexit is unclear at this time.

Spanish law does require that you renounce your UK citizenship and it has nothing to do with the EU or Brexit.

2 minutes ago, AndersG said:

Spanish law does require that you renounce your UK citizenship and it has nothing to do with the EU or Brexit.

Perhaps I was misinformed, but I was under the impression that dual nationality within the EU was safeguarded by EU agreement.

On that basis maybe UK citizenship is simply disregarded by Spanish authorities if one is Spanish, too?

5 hours ago, Lutz said:

Thanks for the offer but I have no need for a new watch. I have my gold watch at home and wear my cheapy Lidl one when travelling.

So, is there no crime in Germany and you can wear your expensive gold watch without worry?

I can see no point in having an expensive watch and not wear it all the time.

2 minutes ago, beejay said:

So, is there no crime in Germany and you can wear your expensive gold watch without worry?

I can see no point in having an expensive watch and not wear it all the time.

It's not so much crime that I am worried about, but more the risk of losing or damaging it while travelling. I wouldn't wear a gold watch at home while digging the garden or working on the car or caravan, either.

5 hours ago, svimes said:

True, but you can quantitatively see what you are getting with those things.

Watches are more like jewellery or expensive fashion i.e. little or no definable benefit. I'm pretty sure that there would always be something else I'd rather spend my money on, even if I was well off. 

Its all about choice and what you want - neither of my watches were especially expensive (under £1,300) compared to what some spend but for me they are something nice to have and I like the style.

I was planning to get a Tag Heuer Monaco for my 40th which would have been more expensive but when I tried it on decided it didn’t really suit me; in the end Tag released a special edition range last year that was exactly what I was looking for so bought it. Like my first watch was, it’s on 0% finance over 4 years and costs me less than my mobile phone each month.

I don’t see the appeal of watches that do all that GPS stuff even less so ‘smart’ watches - I have a phone for that!

11 minutes ago, Lutz said:

It's not so much crime that I am worried about, but more the risk of losing or damaging it while travelling. I wouldn't wear a gold watch at home while digging the garden or working on the car or caravan, either.

I appreciate the possible dangers involved when working but you are an inveterate traveller so when do you wear it? :unsure:

1 minute ago, beejay said:

I appreciate the possible dangers involved when working but you are an inveterate traveller so when do you wear it? :unsure:

Whenever I'm not doing any hard work with my hands and not likely to get them filthy, maybe just for an evening out when I've put on something special on to wear as well. At any other time I'm only interested in the time of day and a cheap watch is just as capable to telling me that.

I wear my Rolex all the time, I only take it off if I'm going cycling, just in case I get knocked off (again). I wouldn't have bought it if I had not intended to wear it.

This is going a bit 'off thread' now though, I just wanted to know if I might be exposed to a risk of being stung for duties when travelling to/from the UK post Brexit.

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I wear my Rolex all the time, I only take it off if I'm going cycling, just in case I get knocked off (again). I wouldn't have bought it if I had not intended to wear it.

This is going a bit 'off thread' now though, I just wanted to know if I might be exposed to a risk of being stung for duties when travelling to/from the UK post Brexit.

Of course you won't be stung for duties. In case of doubt just declare any valuables when entering the UK.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lutz said:

Of course you won't be stung for duties. In case of doubt just declare any valuables when entering the UK.

My wife was worried we might be, someone told her they would be 'over the threshold' in value. My Mrs does tend to panic about everything though.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

My wife was worried we might be, someone told her they would be 'over the threshold' in value. My Mrs does tend to panic about everything though.

Any threshold will only apply to a permanent import, not temporary. After all, the value of the car that you may be driving will probably already exceed the threshold. Customs may, of course, question whether an item will be imported temporarily or permanently. That’s why I suggest declaring valuables when entering the country, just to be on the safe side.

Edited by Lutz
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

don’t see the appeal of watches that do all that GPS stuff even less so ‘smart’ watches - I have a phone for that!

It's because running and swimming etc can be quite awkward with a smart phone.

As you say, it's all down to choice and a good proportion of the population are inclined to spend a fair whack on things that they find pleasing on the eye or things that make themselves look more pleasing to other eyes! I just know that if I had a £k or two chucking about there is a long list of things higher up the priority list (house, next car, holidays, meals out...).

9 minutes ago, svimes said:

It's because running and swimming etc can be quite awkward with a smart phone.

As you say, it's all down to choice and a good proportion of the population are inclined to spend a fair whack on things that they find pleasing on the eye or things that make themselves look more pleasing to other eyes! I just know that if I had a £k or two chucking about there is a long list of things higher up the priority list (house, next car, holidays, meals out...).

I need more than a watch to make me pleasing on the eye!

My wife has a Garmin GPS thing for her running but it’s a chunky beast and not something she would ever wear for anything else. I use my phone in the gym as it has my training plan on it.

Suppose I’m lucky in that the things I like to buy aren’t that expensive - it’s £24/month where as the one I intended to get would have been about £90/month which does start becoming a bit silly (for me).

7 hours ago, shipbroker said:

I stopped wearing a watch when I retired at 69.

Geoff

Not worn a watch tie or suit since March 31st 1994😂😂😂

Funerals & weddings excepted😀

5 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Alles Klar :)

Just out of interest, if you were to apply for Spanish citizenship I take it you would have to speak Spanish? I know Brits who have retired in Spain and can't speak a word of it.

Yup and every year for 15 years a close relative was taken to the cleaners by the crafty service manager of his apartment block in Puerto De La Cruz

The German group were fluent in Spanish and “negotiated” massive discounts on their apartment charges.

The ignorant British expats were ripped off.

The thread is about how people will be affected going on holiday post Brexit, my question about carrying personal possessions (including expensive watches)  across the UK/EU border was a genuine one

You may not be bothered but I am.

10 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Why don't they reimburse mine then? I pay voluntary UK NI contributions but I am legally obliged to pay for German Health Insurance.

Maybe it's because you are not in receipt of a UK state pension.

9 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Alles Klar :)

Just out of interest, if you were to apply for Spanish citizenship I take it you would have to speak Spanish? I know Brits who have retired in Spain and can't speak a word of it.

yes to apply for Citizenship you have to demonstrate a good grasp of the language. One can retire to Spain on a Temporary Residencia.

On 13/03/2019 at 20:38, GT Mariner said:

Maybe it's because you are not in receipt of a UK state pension.

Apparently so, I get a War Pension but a few years yet until I get a state pension.

19 hours ago, ancell said:

The ignorant British expats were ripped off.

I find it strange that Brits living abroad refer to themselves as expats, rather than immigrants, which is what they actually are!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Weekend Traveller said:

I find it strange that Brits living abroad refer to themselves as expats, rather than immigrants, which is what they actually are!

I've lived in Germany for 30 years, I've never refereed to myself as an expat or an immigrant. I came here as part of the British Forces NATO commitment to the security of Western Europe and for the last 15 years I've lived here as a British European citizen exercising my right to live wherever I like in the EU. Now that there is a good chance that right will be taken away from me have become a fully fledged sausage gobbler :) 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, svimes said:

I think they always could issue Blue ones, they just chose to go with the red ones.

I'm not sure but I think the Red ones are actually EU passports but the new blue ones wont be because we wont be members of the EU if we leave (I was going to say when - but that seems like a bit of a maybe :unsure:)

The UK and any other member State of the EU always could issue blue passports and some do.

• Like 2

Our passports were due for renewal so we did it now so they were made in the north east UK and not in France when they are then blue.

• Like 1