Jump to content
Leedslad

How will Brexit affect my holidays in Europe? BBC.

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, John19 said:

 

I've just bought an article from Germany and paid for with a Halifax Clarity Card. The exchange rate was €1.1639. Fuel bought abroad last year in May with the same card, exchange rate €1.1160.

 

So despite all the uncertainty, a better rate at the moment than last year and fingers crossed it stays that way for our trip to the continent in May/June.

 

John.

I think that you have miscalculated.  Last year your pound bought you 1.1639 euros but this year only  1.1160.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DACS said:

I think that you have miscalculated.  Last year your pound bought you 1.1639 euros but this year only  1.1160.

Other way around as just checked and last year we only got about €1.11 for £1 sterling.  Today you can get €1.15 for £1 sterling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Other way around as just checked and last year we only got about €1.11 for £1 sterling.  Today you can get €1.15 for £1 sterling.

 

15 minutes ago, DACS said:

I think that you have miscalculated.  Last year your pound bought you 1.1639 euros but this year only  1.1160.

 

37 minutes ago, John19 said:

 

I've just bought an article from Germany and paid for with a Halifax Clarity Card. The exchange rate was €1.1639. Fuel bought abroad last year in May with the same card, exchange rate €1.1160.

 

So despite all the uncertainty, a better rate at the moment than last year and fingers crossed it stays that way for our trip to the continent in May/June.

 

John.

 

I think the point is - shown clearly on the graph - that the value fell dramatically during 2016 as a direct result of Brexit.  It has remained at the end of 2016 low for the past couple of years.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at the average since 2009 (10 yrs) there was a period of about 1 year when sterling went very high, but the real value of sterling has hardly moved at all.

I have been getting about €1.16 in recent days so 5% better than last year.

The facts are the facts and no amount of attempts to create hysteria will change the facts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lower the £ goes the better for me, makes visiting the UK much cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DACS said:

I think that you have miscalculated.  Last year your pound bought you 1.1639 euros but this year only  1.1160.

 

Nope. Only too happy to redo the maths. The results are in:-

 

Fuel, Koblenz (D) in May €1.13 to the pound. Fuel, Obernburg (A) €1.13 to the pound, Fuel, Bled (SL) €1.11 to the pound.

Yesterday, still the same €1.1639 to the pound.

All purchases using Halifax Clarity Card.

 

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, John_b_45 said:

 

As you say - All is rosy.

 

Bring on Brexit so that the country can be rich again, growth can flourish and we wont be paying Johnny Foreigner any more.  

 

I‘m married to a foreigner and so’s my wife, neither of us is called Johnny 😂😂😂😂

If there’s a no deal Brexit will there be a limit on value  of goods that you could have on ones person when coming into the UK? Both the wife and I have expensive Swiss watches and Jewellery, some of it we bought in the UK, some of it in the EU, I wouldn’t want to be stung on import/export duties when visiting the UK🙈

Edited by Borussia 1900

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I‘m married to a foreigner and so’s my wife, neither of us is called Johnny 😂😂😂😂

If there’s a no deal Brexit will there be a limit on value  of goods that you could have on ones person when coming into the UK? Both the wife and I have expensive Swiss watches and Jewellery, some of it we bought in the UK, some of it in the EU, I wouldn’t want to be stung on import/export duties when visiting the UK🙈

 

Brexit or no Brexit I personally wouldn't take any expensive watches or jewellery with me on holiday, but if there were a valid reason to bring a really valuable item temporarily into the country I'd declare it upon entry and accompany it, if possible, with a copy of proof of purchase. Customs will then issue appropriate paperwork to be surrendered when leaving the country again. That's already normal practice today when entering a non-EU country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard to off set the extra cost of your holiday after brexit you can smuggle oranges back home for Christmas.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing about brexit is that there will be far less Brits abroad - they will all be sat at home worrying about driving licences, dog licences, exchange rates, GB stickers, the latest BBC utterance, uncle Tom Cobbly, und so weiter B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lutz said:

 

Brexit or no Brexit I personally wouldn't take any expensive watches or jewellery with me on holiday, but if there were a valid reason to bring a really valuable item temporarily into the country I'd declare it upon entry

It's our watches, we need them to tell the time :), we actually bought them in Leeds several years ago when the pound was almost on parity to the Euro (saved a small fortune on the same items we saw in Dusseldorf). I was also planning to bring quite a lot of Brandy over too, not usually a problem but I presume if there's no deal the '1 litre for personal consumption' rules may reappear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When travelling I leave my gold watch at home and wear my €9,99 Lidl one instead, but that's only as a precautionary measure against losing it or having it stolen when abroad.

 

That aside, it has always been possible to declare valuable items upon entry into a country if any doubt could be raised about their origin. The '1 litre for personal consumption' rule or something very similar will probably be reintroduced anyway, deal or no deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ern said:

If you look at the average since 2009 (10 yrs) there was a period of about 1 year when sterling went very high, but the real value of sterling has hardly moved at all.

I have been getting about €1.16 in recent days so 5% better than last year.

The facts are the facts and no amount of attempts to create hysteria will change the facts.  

 

And it was 1.31€:£1.00 the day before the EU referendum, 1.16€:£1.00 2 weeks after and that is a fact.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lost in France said:

 

And it was 1.31€:£1.00 the day before the EU referendum, 1.16€:£1.00 2 weeks after and that is a fact.

It only jumped up because the financial bods thought they could make a killing when the people voted to stay in the EU>  Sadly for them they lost and happy for us we are leaving deal or no deal!  :D

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

It only jumped up because the financial bods thought they could make a killing when the people voted to stay in the EU>  Sadly for them they lost and happy for us we are leaving deal or no deal!  :D

 

It didn't 'jump up' it had been hovering in the mid-high 1.20's for 3 or 4 months before the referendum and it was even up to 1.35 in January 2016.

 

But if you want to believe speculators are solely to blame rather than the UK leaving the EU that's up to you.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

 

It didn't 'jump up' it had been hovering in the mid-high 1.20's for 3 or 4 months before the referendum and it was even up to 1.35 in January 2016.

 

In the weeks prior to the referendum you got more euros for the sterling.   I think most people would have realised that is what I meant plus it was high even before it was announced that a referendum was to be held and then of course we all got the good news!  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

 I think most people would have realised that is what I meant

 

In that case why didn't you say what you meant?

 

9 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

then of course we all got the good news!  :D

 

That crashed the GBP, at least it showed what the world thought of the result.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

That crashed the GBP, at least it showed what the world thought of the result.

Who cares what the world thinks as the world does not govern the UK?  :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Who cares what the world thinks as the world does not govern the UK?  :D

 

Judging by the mess they are making of the withdrawal process I'm beginning to wonder who is governing the UK at the moment. As things stand it looks more like collective suicide as a result of a matter of principle.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John_b_45 said:

 

"Rule Brittania.............................." :rolleyes:

 

Actually, thinking about it for a second, don't you think that the rest of the word is laughing at the pitiful way we have been performing in recent years?  

 

Probably a lot better than over 60% of the world but who cares.  The average American and many millions of other people probably do not even know anything about the UK or even where the UK is on a map never mind brexit!  So who cares what they think as I don't?

Edited by Durbanite
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been on the radio all day here, I'm sick of hearing about it, it's become very boring now. It won't happen, not properly anyway.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

 So who cares what they think as I don't?

 

You might if the GBP crashes further and the UK cost of living goes up or when the Yanks buy the NHS and force (in current UK terms) unsafe food products on the UK so the UK can get some sort of trade deal.

 

Edited by Lost in France
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

 

You might if the GBP crashes further and the UK cost of living goes up or when the Yanks buy the NHS and force (in current UK terms) unsafe food products on the UK so the UK can get some sort of trade deal.

 

 Nah!   Wast of time pointing anything out.   Quote " So who cares what they think as I don't?"

 

Mind made up.  Bit like the "red lines" May has tried not to cross. 

 

My Belgium friends jokingly asked if I wanted to move to their bit of the world a few days ago.  I say jokingly but in reality from pity. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cripes..on most peoples budgets it makes a couple of bottles of wine or a few ice creams.

 

geoff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am now a Spanish Resident.

I get all the benefits of the Spanish  Social Security system and all the benefits of the UK Social security system when back in the UK.

A no brainer really.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...