Leedslad

How will Brexit affect my holidays in Europe? BBC.

so basically its going to cost me £11 and i cant take my dog, think i can live with that!

• Like 2

Same here tom :D

19 minutes ago, tom_1989 said:

so basically its going to cost me £11 and i cant take my dog, think i can live with that!

I'd quite like to take my dog though, which is why I'm not booking anything for summer yet.

• Like 2

I had a visit to my vet this morning for some jabs and kennel cough inoculation and the blood test came up and we remarked the dog had passed a couple of months ago and the vet said loads of dogs are failing so don't rely on it being just 4 months . If you want to travel get it done asap.

Dave

8 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I had a visit to my vet this morning for some jabs and kennel cough inoculation and the blood test came up and we remarked the dog had passed a couple of months ago and the vet said loads of dogs are failing so don't rely on it being just 4 months . If you want to travel get it done asap.

Dave

Shame the dog passed but you have kennel cough and needed jabs.   :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Will that be the same for going to Scotland as that’s in Europe.  Haha 

• Haha 1

On 01/03/2019 at 11:50, Leedslad said:

The BBC are just lobbying against leaving with no deal - that's what the article is about.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Were visiting the UK in April, 2 weeks after Brexit (which won’t happen), a tour of Scotland and England I hope nobody throws eggs at my EU registered car 😂😂😂

The weak £ suits me and normally we would bring the dog but we can’t do with the hassle so the mother-in-law is having her.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Were visiting the UK in April, 2 weeks after Brexit (which won’t happen), a tour of Scotland and England I hope nobody throws eggs at my EU registered car 😂😂😂

The weak £ suits me and normally we would bring the dog but we can’t do with the hassle so the mother-in-law is having her.

The value of the  "weak £" today is just 4.2 % less than its average for the 7 years before the referendum.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

On the local news they said that, in case of a no deal, a GB sticker would be needed.  The magnetic one they demonstrated was only about half the size of those ugly big things we used to use.  So I was wondering just what might be the minimum size requirement.

Does anyone know?  I fond this bit of info.

Quote......

Do I need a GB sticker in Europe? Yes you do.

When you are driving in France and the rest of mainland Europe for that matter you need to display a GB Plate on the rear of your vehicle and anything that you are towing such as a boat, caravan etc.

The GB Plate we sell on this page is the magnetic version. Some modern cars have number plates with the GB letters inside the EU flag so that should be OK 99% of the time. If you want to buy a number plate style GB Sticker to add to your number plate see here.

Though it can be argued that those number plate ones are not actually the required GB sticker size as they are too small according to the small print of the French driving regulations.”

I have already put stickers over my EU number plate ends now showing a Union Jack above GB.  

I would like like it if that covered me.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, JCloughie said:

On the local news they said that, in case of a no deal, a GB sticker would be needed.  The magnetic one they demonstrated was only about half the size of those ugly big things we used to use.  So I was wondering just what might be the minimum size requirement.

Does anyone know?  I fond this bit of info.

Quote......

Do I need a GB sticker in Europe? Yes you do.

When you are driving in France and the rest of mainland Europe for that matter you need to display a GB Plate on the rear of your vehicle and anything that you are towing such as a boat, caravan etc.

The GB Plate we sell on this page is the magnetic version. Some modern cars have number plates with the GB letters inside the EU flag so that should be OK 99% of the time. If you want to buy a number plate style GB Sticker to add to your number plate see here.

Though it can be argued that those number plate ones are not actually the required GB sticker size as they are too small according to the small print of the French driving regulations.”

I have already put stickers over my EU number plate ends now showing a Union Jack above GB.  

I would like like it if that covered me.

John

I fitted a solo GB sticker as well as the number plate this week to cover any issues myself . You can't get fined for having one only if you don't ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I had two emails yesterday from my car insurance provider telling me I will require a green card if there is no deal.

Ian

On 01/03/2019 at 17:08, Ern said:

The UK £ is worth 3 or 4 cents more today than it was last year, and is not far off the average for the last decade.

The BBC are just lobbying against leaving with no deal - that's what the article is about.

The rate early 2016 was on a par with 2004 to 2008.  It rose steadily from 2009 until 2016 as you can see,  Notice the sharp decline throughout 2016? 

exchange.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

I have been trying to see where we stand with Warranties on vehicles and recovery abroad and repatriation .

If we buy a vehicle it is sold under that main manufacturers UK network like Nissan UK and then if you go abroad it is covered under a Pan European agreements but those agreement will not be there soon which means we will need to return the vehicle to the UK for repair but recovery companies will not repatriate a vehicles if it can be repaired . So you might find a recovery refusing to repatriate and you need deep pockets for repairs if then Nissan Spain  for example refuse the warranty claim and tell you to take back to the UK but then the recovery company refuse as the vehicle can be repaired .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

6 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I have been trying to see where we stand with Warranties on vehicles and recovery abroad and repatriation .

If we buy a vehicle it is sold under that main manufacturers UK network like Nissan UK and then if you go abroad it is covered under a Pan European agreements but those agreement will not be there soon which means we will need to return the vehicle to the UK for repair but recovery companies will not repatriate a vehicles if it can be repaired . So you might find a recovery refusing to repatriate and you need deep pockets for repairs if then Nissan Spain  for example refuse the warranty claim and tell you to take back to the UK but then the recovery company refuse as the vehicle can be repaired .

Dave

But Britain isn't leaving Europe, just the EU. If your car breaks down now in Norway or Switzerland the dealers there will fix it and they aren't in the EU.

the caravan club has a few articles on Brexit, may answer some of your questions.

23 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

I don't believe that will happen. You quote the agreements are " pan European " - surely that means throughout Europe, not the EU.   Sorry to say it but that is just another scare story! 

Just make sure you have enough months left on your passport

You may need more than 6 months

1 hour ago, ivan leslie said:

I don't believe that will happen. You quote the agreements are " pan European " - surely that means throughout Europe, not the EU.   Sorry to say it but that is just another scare story! 

Already hearing issues of warranty work being carried out and owners then are covered by the covering warranty in the country it was repaired and any issues then you will need to return to that country .

Dave

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

But Britain isn't leaving Europe, just the EU. If your car breaks down now in Norway or Switzerland the dealers there will fix it and they aren't in the EU.

Only if they are under the pan European agreements .

See here for Toyota for example .

https://www.toyota-europe.com/service-and-accessories/warranty-and-assistance/warranty

Dave

19 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Only if they are under the pan European agreements .

See here for Toyota for example .

https://www.toyota-europe.com/service-and-accessories/warranty-and-assistance/warranty

Dave

So when I visit the UK in April (post-Brexit, possibly) and I have a problem with our new Suzuki, will UK dealers not assist me?

5 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

So when I visit the UK in April (post-Brexit, possibly) and I have a problem with our new Suzuki, will UK dealers not assist me?

Then if Suzuki UK does assist any repairs you might find if you have problems with repair then your Suzuki group might not cover it and ask you to return it to the UK group . 

I can't see it being an issue as it is an in house problem and cross border billing ?  

Dave

On 03/03/2019 at 19:54, John_b_45 said:

The rate early 2016 was on a par with 2004 to 2008.  It rose steadily from 2009 until 2016 as you can see,  Notice the sharp decline throughout 2016? 

exchange.png

I've just bought an article from Germany and paid for with a Halifax Clarity Card. The exchange rate was €1.1639. Fuel bought abroad last year in May with the same card, exchange rate €1.1160.

So despite all the uncertainty, a better rate at the moment than last year and fingers crossed it stays that way for our trip to the continent in May/June.

John.