Sign in to follow this  
Cherokee2015

Job losses at Swift

8 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We tend to use AirBnB in the winter works out better and cheaper than hitching up the caravan and travelling miles.  We also use ArBnB when travelling overseas out of Europe.

Yes when premier inn etc etc have offers on its cheaper than dragging a van around and you’re own clean shower and toilet that doesn’t need to be emptied. Just depends on what you need/want.

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

Take a look at the press release following the NEC show and you'll read, "91,383 visitors attended this year’s Caravan, Camping and Motorhome Show at the NEC, an .increase of 1.4% on last year"

Gordon

Hi Gordon.  Press releases showing increased numbers in attendance is roughly the same as E'bay and the 'Watchers',they are mulling over whether or not to invest their monies in that which is being 'Watched'

Actually to be honest I was surprised that the figures were up, as it felt much less crowded throughout the week this time - on the other hand the weekend was especially busy, particularly around the motorhomes. Mind you, if my maths is correct, a 1.4% increase implies there were 90,121 attendees last year.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Actually to be honest I was surprised that the figures were up, as it felt much less crowded throughout the week this time - on the other hand the weekend was especially busy, particularly around the motorhomes. Mind you, if my maths is correct, a 1.4% increase implies there were 90,121 attendees last year.

Hi Gordon. That was excellent for a mental arithmetic calculation  ;):unsure: - even my 10 year old  Casio calculator managed that.

Edited by AWanderingLancastrian
an addition.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We tend to use AirBnB in the winter works out better and cheaper than hitching up the caravan and travelling miles.  We also use ArBnB when travelling overseas out of Europe.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what are your experiences with AirBnB? We tried it on the Canary Islands a few weeks ago and were so disappointed with the quality of the accommodation offered and value for money that we gave up and stayed at hotels instead. Taking advantage of special offers they were hardly more expensive.

Edited by Lutz

10 hours ago, Gordon said:

Take a look at the press release following the NEC show and you'll read, "91,383 visitors attended this year’s Caravan, Camping and Motorhome Show at the NEC, an .increase of 1.4% on last year"

Gordon

It must have been bad last year then . Walking around none of the closing areas were busy, all of the manufacturers i visited remarked how quiet it was. I generally organise meetings with people whilst I'm there and usually need to wait as I obviously defer for customers. There was no need this year everyone had time.

The redundancies are only around 1% of the workforce so hardly worth printing the article in the first place IMO.

I worked in the steel works for 25 years and reduced shifts, extra shifts, extra hours, reduced hours, redundancies , and setting extra staff on appeared to happen on a yearly basis, not to mention extending planned maintenance shut downs or bring the forwards.

And altering the shift patterns for good measure.

The latest treat was bringing in agency workers so they could be laid off at will. 

https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/about/this-is-swift

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xtrailman said:

The redundancies are only around 1% of the workforce so hardly worth printing the article in the first place IMO.

I worked in the steel works for 25 years and reduced shifts, extra shifts, extra hours, reduced hours, redundancies , and setting extra staff on appeared to happen on a yearly basis, not to mention extending planned maintenance shut downs or bring the forwards.

And altering the shift patterns for good measure.

The latest treat was bringing in agency workers so they could be laid off at will. 

https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/about/this-is-swift

As above but on a small scale,

When our factory moved to Poland we lost over 500 jobs and it didn't get a mention, not even in the local papers.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

As above but on a small scale,

When our factory moved to Poland we lost over 500 jobs and it didn't get a mention, not even in the local papers.

I think it is the impact it has on the local town as a major employer than the numbers . Years ago I shut two plants with 7000 jobs in London and not a mention in the media .

More motorhomes being sold and effecting the caravan market ?  Well Coachman are now to start selling motorhomes here through the Swede Kabe company so they have entered the ring now so there must be more interest in the market .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

17 hours ago, Lutz said:

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what are your experiences with AirBnB? We tried it on the Canary Islands a few weeks ago and were so disappointed with the quality of the accommodation offered and value for money that we gave up and stayed at hotels instead. Taking advantage of special offers they were hardly more expensive.

When we visited South Africa last year they were brilliant.  For £25 a night we had a small ground level flat.  It had a bedroom, a lounge, bathroom and a fully equipped kitchen even with a washing machine.  We had the equivalent of Sky to use.  We also had use of a pool and our own BBQ area.  I stayed at another one in Cape Town and also very similar but you had Netflix and Prime available.

We did an over night stay here in the UK and it was good however we then stayed at another one near Christchurch which was a fully furnished flat.  Bedroom, bathroom and lounge with adjoining kitchen which had washing machine and dishwasher.  Average cost about £55 a night in a convenient place and we could have our dogs with us.  We will continue to use AirBnB in the winter months.

On 01/03/2019 at 21:02, Ern said:

Were Doomed! The touring caravan industry may be anyway. There are a lot of reasons which have come along in recent times why people will no longer want to buy a touring caravan. 

1. People are just as likely to spend the extra on a motor caravan and run a small car for shopping etc, because they are spending large amounts of cash available from pensions and home ownership equity.

2. Motor caravans are perceived to be cleaner than "dirty diesel cars" towing caravans. Some people view motor caravan ownership as "better" than touring caravans.

3. The rotten quality of touring caravans has finished off some people's desire for a new one.

4. An increase in availability of statics/ cabins/ chalets (or whatever they call them today), raises the question - "why bother to invest in an expensive caravan and then the storage, insurance, service costs. Its cheaper and easy to travel solo in a eco friendly car. 

Hmm, maybe. But as swift also make static and motorhomes then that takes away most of your argument 

I've never understood the point of motorhomes.

1, They usually use a diesel engine.

2/ The cost is eye watering.

3/ In my case it would be parked up 3 months a year, not good for the engine.

4/ You still need to tow or carry transport unless you want to use the MH to get anywhere while on site.

5/ Extra cost to run, tax, mot.

On 04/04/2019 at 08:14, xtrailman said:

4/ You still need to tow or carry transport unless you want to use the MH to get anywhere while on site.

You make some good points that are valid if the MH is used only occasionally, like many caravans.

Ten years ago we bought an RV primarily for one reason, and that was to have increased living space over that offered by our large caravans.

1. The first one ran on petrol, and we had it converted to LPG. The cost of conversion was high so economics dictated that the next one remained petrol only (I've never liked diesel engines but that's another story).

2. Can't argue about the cost of our RVs, other than to highlight that UK motorhomes need cost no more than a decent towcar and quality caravan.

3. We don't all leave them unused for long periods.

4. In our case alternative transport is a bonus but this is really only true only if the MH cannot double up as daily transport.

5. No extra cost unless the MH is an additional vehicle. Road tax for our RV is £165 a year while the 4x4 we sold was over £400 a year.

Obviously we must all make choices to suite our needs and desires, and let's face it, it would be a pretty dull place if we were all clones of each other. The RV suits our lifestyle at the moment but who's to say I won't be dragging a caravan around again by next year? 

Gordon 

12 hours ago, xtrailman said:

A few misconceptions there I think but of course if you are looking at it purely from a caravanning perspective there will be!

1) Aren't most tow cars diesel and probably not as economic as a motorhome, depending on size. I got better economy from my 7.5m motorhome than I ever did with my 4X4 tow car.  I have recently changed to a smaller motorhome so it will be interesting to see if that is even more economic, can't say yet.

2) You can buy a pretty decent motorhome for £40000. Many of the caravans I now see seem to be between £20/25000 so by the time I buy a big enough car to tow there is not a lot of difference.  I perfectly understand that people look at the headline price and think wow but they need to drill down a bit.

3) If you use it for nine months why not use it for 12? We were away at the end of February and had brilliant weather. The year before we had very good weather at the end of January. I appreciate that if you are still working you might want to save time for the warmer months of the year.

4) There are a surprising number of sites in the UK where you can walk to a town or village or use a local bus route.  Obviously not as convenient as having a car but you have to balance that against the general easiness of using a motorhome.

5) Apart from having one more engine service each year, or in most cases every two years there is not much in the way of extra cost. I am still not paying as much tax for my small car and motorhome together as I was for my previous tow car. The insurance on the motorhome is similar to what I paid on my caravan. My small car insurance is less than I paid for my 4X4. So not as much as you might think. 

I am not trying to persuade anyone to change just trying to point out some of the misconceptions often associated with owning a motorhome.

David

• Like 1