Sign in to follow this  
meadowsweet

Price Transparency - 5 van sites CMC

I just booked a farm site which was quoted on M&CMC as £15.00 a night.

Turned out to be £20 a night.

£18.00 for EHU

£20.00 for use of shower and toilet

Plus 50p to use the shower so 2 showers per day for 2 adults it cost £22 a night.

I prefer these sites but price wise they seem to be catching up with the larger sites....

I always ask as the book quotes the minimum price, I've just booked one at £22 a night and expected a rise as it was on a bank holiday, it was still £22 and £7 extra for my daughter. 

As it was for a bank holiday they wanted the full money up front before it was a confirmed booking

I have noticed a number of 5 van sites the prices have risen so much so I can find it cheaper on a hardstanding service pitch on other family run commercial sites . . They seem to be increasing prices while the people will pay it as I used to see 5 van sites at about 12-15 a night but last week I was looking for a 5 van site and they are about 18-20 and some as much as 25 for electric included .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

A lot of CL inspectors advise CLs on the going rate presumably so they don’t undercut the clubsites too much

• Like 2

We stayed on a lovely little CL last weekend, toilet no shower and EHU £12.50 per night

Still at £22 per night for 2 people, I ask where else could you get accommodation that cheaply?

3 hours ago, meadowsweet said:

I just booked a farm site which was quoted on M&CMC as £15.00 a night.

Turned out to be £20 a night.

£18.00 for EHU

£20.00 for use of shower and toilet

Plus 50p to use the shower so 2 showers per day for 2 adults it cost £22 a night.

I prefer these sites but price wise they seem to be catching up with the larger sites....

Clubs are often slow to update their websites when CL/CS sites change their pricing.

We use a CL in Norfolk which is £11 this year, including EHU, shower & toilet - was £10 last year - perversely it's opposite another CL which is £15/night and always fully booked, go figure!

2 hours ago, fred said:

A lot of CL inspectors advise CLs on the going rate presumably so they don’t undercut the clubsites too much

Such advice is informal and against the interests of members using them.

Edited by Black Grouse

15 minutes ago, lunarloopy said:

I ask where else could you get accommodation that cheaply?

Staycation???

Caravan in back garden.jpg

• Like 1

Many caravanners seem to want toilets and showers . It all costs money so prices are bound to rise. All I want is a water supply and waste disposal but each to their own. I remember reading a review of a five van site that I had been on where basic toilets and shower were available at £12 per night and the reviewer was complaining  that she had to supply her own toilet paper! I dread to think what they would expect for £20 a night.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, lunarloopy said:

We stayed on a lovely little CL last weekend, toilet no shower and EHU £12.50 per night

Still at £22 per night for 2 people, I ask where else could you get accommodation that cheaply?

Depends what you mean by "accommodation".  You can't really compare staying in a caravan to staying in a hotel room.  I am providing the accommodation other than EHU and walking to a shed to have a shower....

Still £12.50 is very good.

Edited by meadowsweet
Addition to post

My neighbouring CL is £15 a night,including EHU and Toilet,no shower. They have a regular turnover of visitors.....the one in next village is £14 and includes shower.

geoff 

The last time I stayed at a CL north of Banbury was 14 years ago when the charge was £5 a night for as many people who could fit in the caravan. It comprised a large arable farm field on Grass with EHU and a toilet near the farmhouse.

It is still in the same ownership and the only change has been the provision of hard standing pitches, though caravans can pitched on grass if desired. The current pitch charge is "from" £12 a night for "two persons".

Would the expectation of the same pitches without EHU and or toilet be lower? If so, does it follow that the addition of a pay free shower should be £15 or higher per night.

What seems to have confused matters is the present "two persons" when in practice many CLs charge for the outfit without additional per capita charges. In the 1960s the highest per night charge we paid at a CL was 7/6 for two adults and four children.

1 hour ago, lunarloopy said:

If comparing by price other things come in to it cost of van, insurance, services, depreciation, large car to tow it , may be storage. If all that was invested it would go a long way on hotels especially if you using special offers.

I stay in hotels 2/3 nights a week, yes on expenses and average cost of hotel room is £100+ per night without food. My van cost £21k 2 years ago, I’ve got freedom to go where I want when I want, I can get up and go out or lounge around all day , compare that to a regimented beige box hotel room, where I am currently incarcerated. Now tell me what is the better value for money.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meadowsweet said:

There is no way would we pay to use a shower when so many other places include it in the price. Understand every business has to make money but in my opinion that's taking the pee, or do they charge for that as well:)

13 minutes ago, lunarloopy said:

I stay in hotels 2/3 nights a week, yes on expenses and average cost of hotel room is £100+ per night without food. My van cost £21k 2 years ago, I’ve got freedom to go where I want when I want, I can get up and go out or lounge around all day , compare that to a regimented beige box hotel room, where I am currently incarcerated. Now tell me what is the better value for money.

Different league to me at £100 a night for a room. People I know look at offers for a weekend for that sort of money, but we all move in different circles.

3 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Different league to me at £100 a night for a room. People I know look at offers for a weekend for that sort of money, but we all move in different circles.

It's not always that easy to get a cheap hotel room at short notice. Even Travel Lodge & Premier Inns can be expensive, depending on where they are and when you want to stay.

I spent 30+ years in & out of hotels all over the place both in the UK & abroad and finding a place to stay in somewhere you dont know for a night or two can be quite expensive especially in city centres.

Hotels are excellent at working out who is on expenses and charge accordingly.

A friend on a Scottish coach trip stayed at on hotel and. at Breakfast talked to some reps.  Same room, same breakfast a quarter of the price.  The reps were happy, they weren't paying.

Just booked two CL's both with hook up, don't know or care about facilities. One was £15 the other £13:50.  Both lookk good on Goggle and have excellent reviews.

John

Some times I can’t see how a CL can be made to pay.   When people are expecting hardstanding, fully serviced pitches and a heated show block for Arround £12.00 p/n can see how it’s viable.  In the olden day’s a CL had a tap and somewhere to dump the Elsan.   They may or may not have chucked the sheep off the field.  So no real capital investment.  Not good enough for those of us who appear to be both Gammons and Snowflakes simultainously. 

We stay regularly on a CL in North Devon! Hard standings and a superb one loo and shower block! Wonderful views thrown in!

£15.00 a night, except December to March when the price goes up by £2.00 a night to cover extra electric!

Back there in a couple of weeks, and three more stays booked this year to visit the children and grandchildren!