jimbouk

Damp around wheel arch Bailey GT65 Verona Bailey rejected claim

Hi all

We have a 2015 Bailey GT65 Verona  which at its last service a couple of weeks ago showed damp at up to 30% around the wheel arch areas.

This was caused by a cracked in side the plastic wheel arch area. 

''I have submitted a claim to Bailey for the damp found around your NS wheel arch, unfortunately this claim has been rejected by Bailey stating the following:

“Rejected - Due to the component being beyond the initial 24 months of the Manufacturer's warranty. "Structural degradation or other damage caused by water ingress through no permanently Sealed seams or joints (such as, without limitation, around windows, hatches, doors and roof lights), beyond the initial 24 months of the Manufacturer's Warranty.''

After submitting the claim to Bailey the dealer has just contacted me stating the claim has been declined as follows . 

Surely the failed area is  to be deemed a structural joint and due to its location. and is an area where water ingress is inevitable it it fails is an integral part of the structure. 

Thoughts and experience would be greatly received

Cheers

Jim

Sorry to suggest that I would doubt that wheel arches could be regarded as structural. If they were removed the rest of the caravan body would not collapse.

A damp reading of 30% is normally regarded as a level at which the owner should need to monitor damp levels and take sealing action if the damp levels increase.

Was the caravan bought new? if so damp is covered by a 6 years warranty as long as the service is up to date.

Edited by oldboy

Thanks for the replies.

Yes we have owned from new , it has been fully serviced and we  assumed ( wrongly as it seems ) that  the 6 year water ingress  warranty was in fact a 6 year water ingress warranty .

9 minutes ago, jimbouk said:

Thanks for the replies.

Yes we have owned from new , it has been fully serviced and we  assumed ( wrongly as it seems ) that  the 6 year water ingress  warranty was in fact a 6 year water ingress warranty .

Welcome to the world of caravan and motorhome dealers.

• Like 1

As far as I understand it the damp on the floor should be repaired under warranty if the T&C has been observed as for the wheel arch liner you may have to pay for a new one out of your own pocket.

10 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Welcome to the world of caravan and motorhome dealers.

That does not help does it?

What does the dealer say the way forward is ?

Perhaps remove the wheel arch and replace/repair it after drying the internal out, and charge you.

Edited by David 38

10 minutes ago, oldboy said:

As far as I understand it the damp on the floor should be repaired under warranty if the T&C has been observed as for the wheel arch liner you may have to pay for a new one out of your own pocket.

That does not help does it?

Why because it’s the truth.

7 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Why because it’s the truth.

Maybe in your case, still it does not help with the Op issue

Just being realistic, he is going to have to pay himself so no point holding his breath 

I had a wheel arch fail on my 2017 Pegasus Ancona. It was repaired under warranty as it was within the first 24 months.

However the dealer did say if it had been outside the time period it would have been rejected.

I think the OP needs to check the water ingress warranty wording as it does exclude certain areas after 2 years.

Not saying I agree with it but its in the wording I saw.

In my case a stone had gone through the wheel arch or that is what the dealer said had happened.

I do feel for the OP its bloody soul destroying when you get something like this.

• Like 1

The water ingress warranty clearly states it only covers “permanently sealed joints” which, to be fair, is where the vast majority of water ingress issues occur.  

Now as unpalatable as it is a cracked inner wheel arch ISNT a “permanently sealed joint” If the leak was through a joint where the wheel arch meets the side/floor then it would be covered because THAT is a “permanently sealed joint”

You can huff and puff as much like but Bailey are clearly NOT going to pay for the repair (because it doesn’t come within the scope of the warranty they provide) so I would suggest that you put it down to experience, pay up, look big, and get on with enjoying your caravan rather than getting stressed out over something you cannot alter.

Andy

• Like 2

A wheel arch that can't stand up to stones being thrown up to from the tyres sounds like poor manufacturing to me, unless I've misunderstood...……..and that wouldn't be anything new :(

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The OP didn’t say it was stone damage, that was a later poster.

I will certainly be keeping a carefully eye on my wheel arch liners, ESPECIALLY at 23 months!

Andy

On 28/02/2019 at 11:31, jimbouk said:

We have a 2015 Bailey GT65 Verona  which at its last service a couple of weeks ago showed damp at up to 30% around the wheel arch areas. This was caused by a cracked in side the plastic wheel arch area. 

After submitting the claim to Bailey the dealer has just contacted me stating the claim has been declined

Thoughts and experience would be greatly received

While it may not strictly be within the terms of the damp warranty a perspicacious manufacturer would realise that this is a potential problem and for the sake of good customer relations authorise a repair. It may be that the material used for the wheel arch is of insufficient strength, or even an incorrect material for the job, so this should be investigated. It could also be a one off but who better to give feedback on real life usage than the customer. Keep the customers on-side and both the manufacturers and customers will benefit in the long term. Alienate the customer and the manufacturer will not only loose them but the customer's experience may prejudice other potential customers.

It is a sad fact that many more negative comments are posted online than positive, so when there is something worth praising we would love more members to post that fact on CT as I am convinced that the majority of caravan owners buy their caravans and are perfectly happy with them, or accept minor niggles. Speaking personally I have never had a perfect caravan, but only one had to be returned for remedial work, and that was a prototype model that we purchased directly from a caravan show. The fault we had was designed out for the production models. Much later we also exchanged a caravan earlier than originally planned owing to poor quality internal structure - but that's another story.

Gordon  

• Like 1

However one would expect that taking into consideration the price paid for the caravan, the plastic wheel arch would last longer than three years therefore under Sale of Goods Act there may be an inherent fault with the plastic. 

Either way although the manufacturer has rejected the claim, your issue is with the dealership as they are responsible unless of course the caravan is on finance in which case responsibility lies with the finance house to get the repair sorted.

Why don't you contact Which Legal Services who are a consumer orientated organisation and get first hand advice from them?    It may save you a small fortune and give the dealer a wake up call!

Whilst a repair is being sorted, so the caravan can continue to be used without the damp getting worse, it might be possible to cover the crack with duct tape.

Thanks again for all the interest.
To be honest  i am a little skeptical as to the amount of damp ( 24 to 30% ) and if this is the case how long has the fault been lying un-noticed  , a temporary repair has been carried out to stop further ingress
I will give you all a detailed  update when i have had chance to visit the van in storage and also grill the dealer as to the exact findings.

Will also  definitely be taking legal advice .

1 hour ago, jimbouk said:

Will also  definitely be taking legal advice .

Why? The warranty conditions are crystal clear. Your particular issue isn’t covered (annoying but true) 

Taking legal advice is going to cost you money, and for certain you are going to be told the same as I have just stated.

Its POSSIBLE you might have half a chance of getting a court to rule in your favour over it not lasting a reasonable period BUT I would wager it will take well over 12 months and involve you in a lot of expense, not to mention the stress.

Sometimes it’s just better to say (removed) it”  pay for the repairs and get on with enjoying your caravan. Well that’s what I would do, unpalatable? Most certainly, but if you do exactly that in three months time you will have forgotten all about it.

F’rinstance ........

When I traded my last van in the dealer found damp, first owner hadn’t had the first service done within the necessary window (the muppet!)  so no warranty claim was possible. It cost me several hundred pounds. I just accepted it for what it was, for sure it was (removed)  annoying, but not something I could alter. I’ve put it down to experience/one of those things and moved on with my life.  I respectfully suggest you do the same rather than getting all screwed up inside over it. Life’s too short. 

Andy

What i would like to ask is has any body thought about condensation.at this time of year there is alot about, have you used the van recently? this maybe the cause.I think it was ian (durbanite) who had this a few years back.just a sugestion as 25% is not a massive high reading,but enough to unease the situation.

On 28/02/2019 at 12:22, David 38 said:

What does the dealer say the way forward is ?

Perhaps remove the wheel arch and replace/repair it after drying the internal out, and charge you.

Any news?

On 01/03/2019 at 16:19, Mr Plodd said:

The water ingress warranty clearly states it only covers “permanently sealed joints” which, to be fair, is where the vast majority of water ingress issues occur.  

Now as unpalatable as it is a cracked inner wheel arch ISNT a “permanently sealed joint” If the leak was through a joint where the wheel arch meets the side/floor then it would be covered because THAT is a “permanently sealed joint”

You can huff and puff as much like but Bailey are clearly NOT going to pay for the repair (because it doesn’t come within the scope of the warranty they provide) so I would suggest that you put it down to experience, pay up, look big, and get on with enjoying your caravan rather than getting stressed out over something you cannot alter.

Andy

Agree the water ingress warranty only covers joints and seals as Andy says .

As said I would just suck it up and get it done and move on the terms are quite clear and you would have no legal come back .

Dave

• Like 1

Dealer has said nothing more they can do as far as the claim is concerned  and it is in my hands to contact Bailey direct which i will do with very little hope of success.

They have forwarded me an image of the crack which was forwarded to Bailey at the time of the claim 

Looks to me it was caused by the fitting of the mudflap .

Bailey.jpg

4 minutes ago, jimbouk said:

Dealer has said nothing more they can do as far as the claim is concerned  and it is in my hands to contact Bailey direct which i will do with very little hope of success.

They have forwarded me an image of the crack which was forwarded to Bailey at the time of the claim 

Looks to me it was caused by the fitting of the mudflap .

That’s pretty much the conclusion I would have come to, BUT I would refer my learned friend to the two most important words in the lexicon of legal terminology.

Prove it!

(And we all know that in this instance you simply cannot) 

Like I said earlier, stop getting yourself stressed out and involved in an argument you are most unlikely to win. Give up, pay up, and get on with your life.

Andy

• Like 1

I know it is not my caravan, but if that is all of the crack I would just patch it up and not bother with the expense of replacing the wheel arch.

Are mudflaps standard on your caravan or has somebody just fastened them with a couple of self tapping screws into the plastic wheel arch ? If not standard it might be better to remove them and the stress being put on the wheel arch.