AndreatheAdria

USB Charger Install

Hi all,

I'm looking to install a couple of USB charging points in my caravan and was looking to swap the existing single gang sockets for the one's with USB slots in but the sockets aren't in the place where we use our phones and tablets so i'm going to install some USB only sockets where we need them but is it just a case of connecting these onto the battery feed in with in-line fuses to them or onto the fuse box etc ?

OR would it be easier to put another couple of 3 pin sockets with USB slots in where we want them ?

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Many of us just use the cigar lighter socket and add a USB plug.

geoff

• Like 3

I don't have a cigar lighter socket i'm afraid

As per shipbroker.  

I went through the same thoughts as you and wondered about the 12v TV "cigar lighter" type sockets.  My request for advice on the forum was well met very recently and the double usb plugs in the TV sockets are now tried and tested.

A much cheaper and simple solution - assuming you have at least one 12v Tv outlet.

We use a triple usb in the 12v socket. 

The socket is otherwise very rarely used and the usb serves the purpose of preventing children poking fingers or toys into the socket

No cigar lighter socket -

240v outlets with inbuilt usb can be expensive.

240v outlets with a usb picking up a 12v supply can be found but clearly you need a suitable location. 

USB outlets slightly less so but as you've suggested, you'll need a permanent live 12 v supply, preferably switched and at least in-line fused.

I fitted one of the above in a previous (quite old) caravan with no trouble. 

I hope this helps.

I installed USB sockets at the front of our last caravan! Wired direct back to a 12 volt feed close to the battery, with suitable fuses put in line!

Worked perfectly, and when the caravan went for service, they said I had wired them in perfectly!

Edited by PR1
Spelling

I installed one of these to both last caravans.

Both Adria, added them near the front on the battery side near the 240V socket.

Thanks, sounds like i can wire it direct into the 12v feed then as the position where i want them is about 30cm from the 12V power inlet so i'll get an inline fused one and hopefully should be good.

Thanks all

10 hours ago, shipbroker said:

Many of us just use the cigar lighter socket and add a USB plug.

geoff

USB adaptor into lighter socket cost me a £1 at pound shop.

• Like 1

If it were me I'd just wire in a couple of sockets with USB points in the vans 220 v circuit. They aren't expensive if you buy then from the right places - search for TLC. You will get a  ready made & tested unit  with the added bonus of a few more sockets. Easy to do install. 

Just my opinion of course. 

3 minutes ago, Woodie106 said:

If it were me I'd just wire in a couple of sockets with USB points in the vans 220 v circuit. They aren't expensive if you buy then from the right places - search for TLC. You will get a  ready made & tested unit  with the added bonus of a few more sockets. Easy to do install. 

Just my opinion of course. 

I can't find black single 13 amp socket c/w USB plenty of white ones, do you know source of black single ?

12 hours ago, AndreatheAdria said:

OR would it be easier to put another couple of 3 pin sockets with USB slots in where we want them ?

That is what I did. The end bedroom didn't have any power sockets so I fitted a double socket with two USB charging sockets.

Gordon

6 hours ago, David 38 said:

USB adaptor into lighter socket cost me a £1 at pound shop.

+1 and you can buy a3 way splitter to charge 3 units.  Simple and quick however you probably need to check the output rating for the USB adaptor as some units probably draw more current than others.

We use a 12v plug to a cigar socket and the car charger or a usb plug

s-l640[1].jpg

The ebay items suggested by Dave would certainly work.

However, they won't fit a standard caravan socket frame (I've tried) and the reverse side has no enclosure (although a pattress type box could be made to fit, space permitting).  Otherwise ok in a new location where they don't have to match existing fittings and where there's no likelihood of bridging or other unwanted contact.

You might be mixing up two standards here.

1)   The  single and double like used in the home.

2)   The smaller CBE/C-Line than are used in caravans/motorhomes.

Both are in my caravan as supplied.

In fact I've a car type socket combined with TV coax it is a CBE on a faceplate into a standard hhhome type mounting box.

9 hours ago, David 38 said:

I can't find black single 13 amp socket c/w USB plenty of white ones, do you know source of black single ?

Try here, £13.49 single USB each or £13.89 for 2 USB ports

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/switches-sockets/cat830530#category=cat830530&parentcolour=black&page_size=20&page_start=100&sort_by=price

Edited by terve