Jump to content

Sky dish in france


bobk
 Share

Recommended Posts

Damn it it’s just gone off just as I’m about to go to bed and watch tv, it’s been working fine all day too

 

bit of lightning and rain here nothing too major, signal quality same  as before at around 60% 

 

Planner programmes are all still

there but won’t play which is strange as once I was on a pitch where I couldn’t get a signal because of a tree, out of curiosity I moved the dish to the pitch opposite me the next day when the occupants left and it worked, the dish locked on but obviously I couldn’t leave it there so unplugged it but I could

still view my recorded programs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got it working again

 

i guess what I’m asking is even though I thought I was buying one of the more expensive sat meters which is set to 28.2 Astra even that can lock onto the wrong sat? So even  if I get a 60% signal wondering why I have no picture  I could be on the wrong  satellite?

 

the phone apps, how accurate are they as a compass etc? For instance every time I place the phone on the dish arm it tells me I need to be in a different direction, which is why I gave up on them and relied on my prinesat 

 

maybe the compass settings are broke on my I phone as I have two apps which both oppose each other

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, chris76 said:

i guess what I’m asking is even though I thought I was buying one of the more expensive sat meters which is set to 28.2 Astra even that can lock onto the wrong sat?

 

Because, like i said before, frequencies are not unique to just one satellite.The example I gave was Sky News, the frequency that i use to initially find the Astra 2 satellites, as it is nice and strong.

But the same frequency is also used on the satellites at 30 east...and my meter can lock on and say good signal, but no UK channels...as the meter , although knows there is a good signal there, the main PIDs and VIDS for Sky News are not on that frequency, so no actual channels.

Same goes for a few UK frequencies and the sats at 26 east, a few similar frequencies...

 

6 hours ago, chris76 said:

the phone apps, how accurate are they as a compass etc? For instance every time I place the phone on the dish arm it tells me I need to be in a different direction, which is why I gave up on them and relied on my prinesat 

 

maybe the compass settings are broke on my I phone as I have two apps which both oppose each other

They are good for "in the ball park" but not for accuracy... and dont forget GPS is not 100% and there is "GPS wobble"  which can change your location by ab out 10 m every so often as signals come and go from the various GPC satellites.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

chris76

I know absolutely nothing about mobile phones or their “Apps”.

 

If you use a cheap Signal Finder and connect it “In line”, as long as you start from South East (135°) and rotate slowly towards South, then Astra 2 will be the first satellite that you start to pick up.

 

Further than that, I am unable to help you.

 

Vin Blanc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right got it thanks to both of you for your help, I’m a bit more knowledgeable now.

 

Might  invest in a compass with a degree scale and do as vin says in the future

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, chris76 said:

Got it working again

 

i guess what I’m asking is even though I thought I was buying one of the more expensive sat meters which is set to 28.2 Astra even that can lock onto the wrong sat? So even  if I get a 60% signal wondering why I have no picture  I could be on the wrong  satellite?

 

the phone apps, how accurate are they as a compass etc? For instance every time I place the phone on the dish arm it tells me I need to be in a different direction, which is why I gave up on them and relied on my prinesat 

 

maybe the compass settings are broke on my I phone as I have two apps which both oppose each other

 

Trying to find a Satellite the most important thing is a clear line of sight from the pitch and trees and knowing which direction the dish should face . I use a app called satfinder lite that uses the the phone or tablet camera and gps to give a virtual image of the satellite in the sky .

 

I actually go online before we leave and check sites for tree and what pitches are capable of getting a signal . CMC site map has a compass arrow showing usually North or South direction which helps check in a SE direction for trees .

 

I also make a quick reference by using the sun as the sun is in the satellite position at about 10 /11 am so if I arrive at 12 o'clock or a bit later I know the direction is slightly to the left also I can note roughly a tree top or building in the distance . But I have been doing it for over 20 years .

 

 

 

 

Dave

 

 

 

Edited by CommanderDave
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am amazed at the lengths some seem to have to go to in order to lock onto a signal.

 

First, and vital thing is that have my dish mount clearly marked for the vertical position when I am at home and have used it to get a signal, that way I have a good starting point when abroad.. The further south you go the more the dish has to point up but only by a little

I set my tripod and dish up as near to vertical as possible, connect up the cable and signal finder, get my compass out and find roughly where 130-135° is and point the dish in that direction. (Stand behind the dish and look along the LNB arm to see where it’s pointing)  I then slowly rotate the dish towards south. If I pick up a signal I then “tweak” the dish both vertically and horizontally to get the strongest signal.

 (Most signal finders have an adjustment dial, start off at the most sensitive end then, when you find a signal turn it down a bit so you can locate the very strongest point) 

If I don’t get a signal as above I return to the start position and tweak the dish up a bit and repeat the process. Sometimes it takes a few goes but It works every time for me PROVIDED there is a reasonably clear line of sight from the dish to the sky!!

 

The best possible advice is to practice setting it all up when at home. That way you can use your home TV/sat box and just connect your mobile dish to the input point. 

 

Your home dish will show the direction you need to point your mobile one. Start off East of where your home dish is pointing and slowly rotate towards  South. Once you have done it a few times it becomes very quick and easy but practice is certainly the key!!

 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chris76 said:

Right got it thanks to both of you for your help, I’m a bit more knowledgeable now.

 

Might  invest in a compass with a degree scale and do as vin says in the future

 

I have neve seen a compass that doesn't show South East (SE),  it's exactly halfway between East and South!

Vin Blanc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Woodentop said:

 

You were using sat when near Wells with Mendip transmitter towering over you?

 

Didn’t realise that there was a terrestrial transmitter close to Wells until I arrived there.

 

Our pitch backed up to a very thick 12ft high hedge with a large tree growing up through it exactly in a direct line between my caravan “Status 530” aerial and the Mendip transmitter (about 5 miles away).

 

As I always use satellite with the caravan I hadn’t bothered to bring my Freeview PVR from home so didn’t think twice before setting up and aiming my low level satellite dish (it only takes a few minutes)!

 

One interesting point, whilst strolling around the site one evening, (virtually in the shadow of this huge transmitter), we were able to count only about a dozen vans and campers with their aerials actually aimed at it.

 

The majority were pointing everywhere but!

 

Vin Blanc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have found that one of the best apps for rough direction is "satellite director"...easy to use, and fairly  accurate.

I also have "Satfinder lite", which, although less accurate, does who the "satellite arc", useful for other satellites and working out if trees / building will be in the way.

 

On a side note, saying things like "i only have 60%" gives noone any good information.

60% what...strength...quality..?

 

And on which frequency, as all frequencies will be different (different satellite, different beam, different polarisation, different frequency).

 

And on what receiver, as all receivers give different readings (for example, I can set up a Humax Freesat box that has 80% signal, and 60% quality (and 8.4db) for the Freesat transponder, but on a Manhattan box this goes to 80% and 20%..! Yeta ll channels are fine. And a Sky box will use the default sky frequency of 11778 on its signal screen, unless you are also watching and recording other channels, in which case the screen will give the signals for those channels)

 

A good meter will give a db rating, an actual signal reading. But again you need to say what frequency you are using... eg where i am (south of valencia) on a 90x100cm dish I get 15db for Sky News, but 7.7 on C4 (10714)...with nothing for the ITv1 HD channels (dish too small for these).

 

Hope this is of use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only get the sat dish out when I cant get a decent signal on the van aerial.

On average once every 2 years (talking UK).

I first use Sat finder to find where to point the dish, trying to look for a useful guide point (eg over a building in sight or across corner of a nearby pitch).

Then I set up a cheap easy find receiver and generally get the green light pretty quickly.

When its locked on, the receiver gets put away and the dish connected straight to tv which has a satellite receiver built in.

Should be same in France although inclination may be more relevant.

Carry a 60cm dish in UK but have an 80cm one if ever we go back to France (not very likely but you never know).

Edited by hp100425ev
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Vin Blanc said:

I have neve seen a compass that doesn't show South East (SE),  it's exactly halfway between East and South!

Vin Blanc

Alright clever clogs😂I’m new to all this and am just saying I can’t really rely on my I phone to give me 141 degrees.

after all im away on holiday and just want to make things as easy as possible 

 

6 hours ago, satandpcguy said:

 

 

On a side note, saying things like "i only have 60%" gives noone any good information.

60% what...strength...quality..?

Sorry I thought I had mentioned sixty on quality I thought that was the most important figure? Signal is in the ninety s atm 

 

and it’s on a sky q box Iv got no idea about frequencies etc that’s why I’m asking as I’d like to learn if there’s anything more I can do? I thought getting a good quality meter would be enough

Edited by chris76
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, chris76 said:

Alright clever clogs😂I’m new to all this and am just saying I can’t really rely on my I phone to give me 141 degrees.

after all im away on holiday and just want to make things as easy as possible 

Then buy a Maxview compass off eBay and you won't need a battery and works without a signal!

I use it as I arrive on site to get the pitch that will get a signal. £10 from eBay.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Then buy a Maxview compass off eBay and you won't need a battery and works without a signal!

I use it as I arrive on site to get the pitch that will get a signal. £10 from eBay.

Yeah will do, that’s what I was getting at, I phone surprisingly just isn’t realiable enough, most times it tells me 141 is in a different direction every time I place it down 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to eBay item

 

Andy 

 

Just wanted to try out the info I had the other day about posting links!

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chris76 said:

Sorry I thought I had mentioned sixty on quality I thought that was the most important figure? Signal is in the ninety s atm 

 

and it’s on a sky q box Iv got no idea about frequencies etc that’s why I’m asking as I’d like to learn if there’s anything more I can do? I thought getting a good quality meter would be enough

 

Again, signal shown on a Sky box will vary depending what you are watching , as different channels will have different signal strengths depending on their satellite , beam, polarisation, frequency etc so although you say it is "on 90 atm" is that when the box is exactly as it was when it was showing only 60 - ie on the same channel? Otherwise the figures are meaning less...just like if you are using a signal meter that gives percentages of signals...as they will vary from meter to meter...only a good meter with db measurement, the measurement of signal, gives a proper reading...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My (cheap) signal meter has a moving needle with adjustable sensitivity, I just keep fiddling with my dish (and the meters sensitivity) until I get the strongest possible signal. I have no idea of HOW strong the signal gets, so long as it’s good enough to get a decent picture without pixelating I’m happy! More often than not it’s just used for radio through the TV when abroad. 

 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Link to eBay item

 

Andy 

 

Just wanted to try out the info I had the other day about posting links!

Welcome to the world of Hyperlinks... ;)

 

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, satandpcguy said:

 

Again, signal shown on a Sky box will vary depending what you are watching , as different channels will have different signal strengths depending on their satellite , beam, polarisation, frequency etc so although you say it is "on 90 atm" is that when the box is exactly as it was when it was showing only 60 - ie on the same channel? Otherwise the figures are meaning less...just like if you are using a signal meter that gives percentages of signals...as they will vary from meter to meter...only a good meter with db measurement, the measurement of signal, gives a proper reading...

 

 

Not taking signal from  sky box As I’m using a q box but getting the readings via my prinesat 700 while aligning the dish until last night I just presumed it was a case of getting the best possible percentage from 28.2 

29 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

My (cheap) signal meter has a moving needle with adjustable sensitivity, I just keep fiddling with my dish (and the meters sensitivity) until I get the strongest possible signal. I have no idea of HOW strong the signal gets, so long as it’s good enough to get a decent picture without pixelating I’m happy! More often than not it’s just used for radio through the TV when abroad. 

 

Andy

 

29 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

My (cheap) signal meter has a moving needle with adjustable sensitivity, I just keep fiddling with my dish (and the meters sensitivity) until I get the strongest possible signal. I have no idea of HOW strong the signal gets, so long as it’s good enough to get a decent picture without pixelating I’m happy! More often than not it’s just used for radio through the TV when abroad. 

 

Andy

Yep got one of them, but thought I’d splash out on  a bit of tech to upgrade and make the job easier, just got a bit confused when I couldn’t lock onto a sat as easy down south of France as previously in the north of uk

 

Edited by chris76
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris if investing in a satellite finder look no further than the Fringe Pro+.  Not only satellite but can be used for terrestrial signal also.  We have one from when we used to set up our dish and it worked perfectly every time.  See http://www.fringeelectronics.co.uk/fringeleisure/page13.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...