Sky dish in france

bobk

15 hours ago, John_b_45 said:

I can only admire the time and trouble some go to in order to watch UK TV abroad.

We simply press a button and sit back to relax while watching TV.  However by the same token we hardly ever watch UK TV programs like BBC, IT etc at home never mind when abroad.

17 hours ago, JTQ said:

VIn, if you had preempted things and put your dish on the northern extent of your pitch, you would not be blinded by a motorhome let alone a bike ;) 

That’s exactly what I did 5 mins after taking these pictures! BTW the site was just outside Wells, Somerset, back in 2015.

As it turned out, that was our final outing before retiring from active caravanning as age and physical health began to overtake us.

Really miss it!

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2019 at 09:59, Doosan said:

:welcome:To the Forum.

It will depend on how far south you are going. I have a 60 cm dish and this worked fine for me in the Dordogne. If you search Satgear on here they will probably give you a more definitive answer. 

Doosan.

Just coming in on this as you gave us a mention. Don't forget that Bobk (OP) has a zone 2 sky dish (78cm across the elliptical width). I don't believe these are equivalent in db gain to an 80cm round dish imo such as the triax TD78). So I doubt it will have the coverage of a typical round 80cm dish. Happy to be corrected  :) but I would never recommend a sky dish for portable use mainly because of the usability. They are a pain in the neck to disassemble being designed for fixed situations.

Darren.

Satellite systems expert

Also,  I often wonder why we get bogged down with dish alignment gadgets like those mentioned on this thread. Aligning a satellite dish is not a black art. It's a simple process and nothing to be scared of.  It's not rocket science. I do not personally believe that inclinometers and other additional gadgets are necessary.

The key principles are:

1. No obstacles.

2. Level ground (ish).

3. Set the elevation (see dishpointer.com) starting lower than stated).

4. Sweep the dish from the south to the east for the direction (if looking for Astra 2) watching for a peak indication with a satfinder. When you have a peak signal, check the TV.

5. If no picture on screen, you've aligned to the wrong satellite, repeat from point 3 notching the elevation up a little. In reality you don't even need elevation markings but they help as a reference point of course.

And if you don't want the hastle of a bit of trial and error then there's always Easyfind :) OK it's a gadget but it's built in, not additional.

Other opinions fully respected ;)  I'm just trying to remove the fear element for those venturing into the often seemingly scary world of satellite. 

Darren.

Satellite systems expert

"4. Sweep the dish from the south to the east for the direction (if looking for Astra 2) watching for a peak indication "

My advice Darren would be the opposite, start from east, about 140 degrees, moving slightly south.

Then the first signal found, if the elevation is right, will be our Astra 2 cluster.

I absolutely agree, it is not a "black art" and it is a shame some struggle where there is no need.

Have to agree - start east and sweep south and its the first satellite.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

14 hours ago, JTQ said:

My advice Darren would be the opposite, start from east, about 140 degrees, moving slightly south.

Then the first signal found, if the elevation is right, will be our Astra 2 cluster.

Yes, I agree, always start from East however, as most people will use a compass to find where to start aiming their dish , I would suggest that it is much simpler to start at 135 degress which is exactly half way between South & East.  (SE on the compass dial).

Astra 2 will still be the first satellite that you start to pick up.

Vin Blanc

You shouldn't be watching UK TV in France or anywhere else foreign, if you've chosen to spend time abroad then make your bed, lie in it etc and watch Frog or Kraut TV or whatever. You should have no say in what's happening in The Rovers or The Queen Vic, you traitors !!!! lol :ph34r:

55 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

You shouldn't be watching UK TV in France or anywhere else foreign, if you've chosen to spend time abroad then make your bed, lie in it etc and watch Frog or Kraut TV or whatever. You should have no say in what's happening in The Rovers or The Queen Vic, you traitors !!!! lol :ph34r:

Yeah but they don't speak English in France or Germany and don't served an English breakfast so won't go there again!  :D:lol:

18 hours ago, JTQ said:

"4. Sweep the dish from the south to the east for the direction (if looking for Astra 2) watching for a peak indication "

I absolutely agree, it is not a "black art" and it is a shame some struggle where there is no need.

Yep, starting east to south is good too. I agree with that advice definitely. You come to Astra 2 before Astra 1 and don't get confused with a satfinder indication for Astra 1 wondering why there's no picture on the screen. This is a common error for newbies...

Satellite systems expert

image.png.739d709cbaea492aaad5e6c79acb15e6.png

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

hows this for luck

pulled up on friday night set the tripod up, got my phone app out to see roughly where the satellite was plonked dish on the floor roughly pointing in that direction

went to connect tv and sky box and it worked, i didnt even get to use my new satellite finder:P

On 19/03/2019 at 17:49, Satgear said:

Also,  I often wonder why we get bogged down with dish alignment gadgets like those mentioned on this thread. Aligning a satellite dish is not a black art. It's a simple process and nothing to be scared of.  It's not rocket science. I do not personally believe that inclinometers and other additional gadgets are necessary.

The key principles are:

1. No obstacles.

2. Level ground (ish).

3. Set the elevation (see dishpointer.com) starting lower than stated).

4. Sweep the dish from the south to the east for the direction (if looking for Astra 2) watching for a peak indication with a satfinder. When you have a peak signal, check the TV.

5. If no picture on screen, you've aligned to the wrong satellite, repeat from point 3 notching the elevation up a little. In reality you don't even need elevation markings but they help as a reference point of course.

And if you don't want the hastle of a bit of trial and error then there's always Easyfind :) OK it's a gadget but it's built in, not additional.

Other opinions fully respected ;)  I'm just trying to remove the fear element for those venturing into the often seemingly scary world of satellite. 

Darren.

great advantage in the UK of sky dishes is the price£££

You can buy a zone 2 dish on ebay for £24

Mine is kitted out with th satgear satfinder lnb.

I no longer use the matching box just use the SF 500 sat finder programmed for 28.2 satellites

I use the smaller 60 cm sky dish as far north as Brora with no problems

I just leave the lnb bracket holder on the dish and remove the lnb plus arm and stuff the lot in a Satgear padded bag

All the mounting bolts are fitted with wing nuts to aid strip down

• 4 months later...

Currently I’m the dordogne and I need my footy fix, lol

last site I could only get to 60% so couldn’t get a picture so just gave up, same thing has happened again I can only get 60%, it normally takes in the 70’s to get it working which I managed in Calais, Brittany and Le Mans

any idea what the problem could

Be? I have a 80cm dish and no real obstacles, Iv tried adjusting it in all directions, any tips would be great

thanks

13 hours ago, chris76 said:

last site I could only get to 60% so couldn’t get a picture so just gave up, same thing has happened again I can only get 60%,

I have a 80cm dish and no real obstacles, Iv tried adjusting it in all directions, any tips would be great

60% Strength or quality?

Have you read and followed my "setting up" article to the letter?  i.e. "The art of aiming a satellite dish"

Also check my posts dated 26th Feb and 20th March.

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc
afterthought

chris76

Having read back through the earlier posts in this thread, I came across one of my own earlier posts dated 27th Feb (half way down Page 2) which described something that happened to me whilst on a trip to West Bay near Bridport.

I think it might amuse you but at the same time, here's hoping that it might just provide the answer to your problem.

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

Hi vin, thanks for the reply, Iv read and participated in the thread In the past.

but Iv just sussed it on my last attempt and told the kids that’s why you should never give up👍

I was using my primesat 700 set at Astra 28.2 which was showing around 60% quality 

But I tried with my satfinder app which I only ever use as a rough guide,  which contradicted the prinesat and told me I needed to move left, next thing my boy runs out and tells me sky sports is on😁

So I don’t know what happened and fear the same thing happened on the last site and Iv unnecessary been without sky for 11 days

Edited by chris76

8 minutes ago, chris76 said:

Hi vin, thanks for the reply, Iv read and participated in the thread In the past.

but Iv just sussed it on my last attempt and told the kids that’s why you should never give up👍

I was using my primesat 700 set at Astra 28.2 which was showing around 60% quality 

But I tried with my satfinder app which I only ever use as a rough guide,  which contradicted the prinesat and told me I needed to move left, next thing my boy runs out and tells me sky sports is on😁

So I don’t know what happened and fear the same thing happened on the last site and Iv unnecessary been without sky for 11 days

Hi chris76,  Pleased to hear you now have a signal.

Only 60% signal quality isn't very good for an 85cm dish.  I would have expected somewhere between 80% to 90%.

Anyway, well done, hope you enjoyed my West Bay story.

Vin Blanc

the best Iv achieved is in the 70’s in the uk, how can you fine tune it to get it higher?

im just using a cheap tripod kit from e bay, but to be fair it held up in a storm a couple of weeks ago

Edited by chris76

You have to remember there are other satellites up there, using the same or similar frequencies to those used on UK TV.

It may be that your "finder" locked onto a similar signal on the satellites at say 25/26...hence your dish needing a nudge to get 28 back.

For example, i know the frequency used for sky news on Astra 2 is also an activae frequency on the sats at 30.5...so even I can sometimes lock onto that instead of the Astra 2s and wonder why the UK channels are not coming in.

3 hours ago, Vin Blanc said:

Only 60% signal quality isn't very good for an 85cm dish.  I would have expected somewhere between 80% to 90%.

I suppose it also depends what frequency they are using to get their signal levels, as not all signal levels are the same, and very from satellite, beam, polarisation, and frequency...60% may be a good signal for A2 uk beams, but poor for European beams...

Edited by satandpcguy

1 hour ago, chris76 said:

the best Iv achieved is in the 70’s in the uk, how can you fine tune it to get it higher?

im just using a cheap tripod kit from e bay, but to be fair it held up in a storm a couple of weeks ago

As I said in my original article, first set the elevation roughly vertical and point the dish using a cheap compass at SW (135°) and lock it down.

Now connect the Signal finder and adjust the Azimuth towards South till the squeal reaches its peak. Astra 2 (Freesat & Sky) should be the first satellite cluster you pick up.

Slacken the elevation lock again and fine tune the elevation setting by gently tilting the dish backward or forward (just a nudge at a time) until the squeal again reaches its peak. Lock off the elevation.

When adjusting the elevation, be aware that wherever you stop tilting the dish, it will drop just another fraction under its own weight so try to allow for this.

Go check your signal strength and quality readings on the TV (note; the “quality” reading is the most important one and should preferably be around 80% or above.

Always bear in mind that the larger the dish, the more accurate and diligent you need to be. When fine tuning for the ultimate “signal quality” reading, always move the dish just a tiny fraction at a time and pause for a few seconds to give your “Digibox” (receiver) time to adjust to the new setting.

It’s always much easier if you can see the TV screen whilst fine-tuning. If you can’t, - get someone to sit in front of the TV to yell “better” or “worse” according to the strength and quality readings.

Vin Blanc

On 11/03/2019 at 12:58, Vin Blanc said:

That’s exactly what I did 5 mins after taking these pictures! BTW the site was just outside Wells, Somerset, back in 2015.

As it turned out, that was our final outing before retiring from active caravanning as age and physical health began to overtake us.

Really miss it!

Vin Blanc

You were using sat when near Wells with Mendip transmitter towering over you?

52 minutes ago, satandpcguy said:

I suppose it also depends what frequency they are using to get their signal levels, as not all signal levels are the same, and very from satellite, beam, polarisation, and frequency...60% may be a good signal for A2 uk beams, but poor for European beams...

You're quite right of course.  It's just so difficult to understand just what chris76 is doing without being next to him!

Vin Blanc

2 hours ago, Vin Blanc said:

You're quite right of course.  It's just so difficult to understand just what chris76 is doing without being next to him!

Vin Blanc

Pull up on site and then use sat Pointer  app to point me in the right direction, then use my prinesat  700 to find signal, normally I manage by just moving the tripod around till I get the best signal then peg it down and then fine tuning it to get the best quality.

im using a hybrid lnb with sky q so don’t bother watching the screen, the readings are displayed on the meter.

i was just confused  when i couldn’t  get  a picture since moving down to the dordogne, as sat and pc guy said my meter must’ve locked onto a different satellite 

its strange because when when using the I phone app I always get a slightly different direction every time I place it down on the satellite, so Iv just learned to trust my meter more, especially since it’s set to lock onto the last satellite used

I guess next time I have bother I’ll trust my phone a bit more

I just relied on the Maxview compass which seemed better and quicker than the cheap sat finder. Then rotate a fraction whilst looking at the signal strength screen.

However I did use a Sky dish so the elevation was set by them and I just levelled up the dish.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion