Sign in to follow this  
bobk

Sky dish in france

Thanks for that and yes I will stick to tried and trusted method. It was just that when I saw the Aussie just slap it on the dish I thought Blimey that looks easy. Now I think differently. Anyway got people thinking about it. 

On 02/03/2019 at 12:28, Vin Blanc said:

Hi again ascsbe,

I woke up at 2am last night and found myself thinking about the angle finder mounted vertically on the front of the dish in the Aussie video.

Suddenly, a thought flashed into my aged brain that just hadn’t occurred to me previously, (or anyone else apparently ‘cos no one has mentioned it so far).

When the angle finder is mounted vertically at the front of the dish, any elevation figure quoted by “Dishpointer.com” cannot be used.

To achieve the correct setting on the angle finder you will always need to add 90° to the quoted figure thus giving you a setting on your angle finder of 115.3° for your location in Wimbourne.

I’m sure I’m right, can anyone else clarify?

Vin Blanc

Glad someone is keeping us right-day and night😂😂

• Thanks 1

On 02/03/2019 at 18:25, ascsbe said:

Thanks for that and yes I will stick to tried and trusted method. It was just that when I saw the Aussie just slap it on the dish I thought Blimey that looks easy. Now I think differently. Anyway got people thinking about it. 

Getting your satellite picture is 99% preparation.

You must have everything more or less spot on to be successful.

I witnessed-more than once-last year at Brora the wife at the open window and the perspiring partner failing to get their satellite dish aligned-not a clue😂.

As Vin Blanc often points out you must have the dish firmly planted then gently sweep the arc indicated by your satfinder app or compass.

If the dish can wobble up and down at the same time it’s just not going to work.

I take about 15 minutes to get everything set up-depending on our Scottish weather then a minute or so sweeping the location indicated by the satfinder app .

What do people think of the bracket that goes on the jockey wheel instead of a tripod? I realise it’s only going to work if your facing south but I guess it’s going to be more stable than trying to hammer home a tripod

As we have a front lounge, I think doing that would really spoil the view out, in part why we camp rather than stay home.

One of those dog leash tethering screws put in the ground to centre the tripod on, then lash the tripod down on it using a bungee cord ought to do the fixing trick. I have a ground hogging low profile dish and it takes a 5 litre water container stood on it if that windy, not elegant but does the task as long as needed.

Edited by JTQ

7 hours ago, chris76 said:

What do people think of the bracket that goes on the jockey wheel instead of a tripod? I realise it’s only going to work if your facing south but I guess it’s going to be more stable than trying to hammer home a tripod

I have thought about doing this but decided against this because of a 60cm dish will block the view out of the front window. 

What is so wrong with putting the 3 round pegs into the ground to hold down your tripod? 

booked a local night away tommorow so im going to use my primesat for the first time. got no instructions as it came withone of those small cd's

just having a look at it now iv got it set to E28.2 Ku-astra 2 lnb universal ( i have a sky hybrid ) and iv left all other settings as is

im planning on keeping the two sky q leads on the terminals and then connecting the meter lead to one of the other 4,is that right?

what percentages am i looking to achieve in each of the two bars?

cheers for the help anyone

17 hours ago, chris76 said:

Over the yearsI have tried various methods of making my dishes practical and "Galeproof"'

Here are a couple of pics of both my mobile dishes erected in my garden.

First pic is of my 57cm "cassegrain" (Prime focus) dish mounted on my tripod anchord down with suitably placed guy ropes.

Second pic shows my 80 (85?)cm "Off-set" dish mounted low down on the tripod, awaited the addition of the guy ropes.

Later on, (Pic 3) I managed to fabricate a ground level mounting using a wide steel plate and pole weighted down by a water filled umbrella stand.  This proved ideal for transportation, extremely quick and simple to set up and worked perfectly until the "A...ole" on the pitch next door decided to park his bike directly in front of it!  There were times when I thought that  I might never win!   

Vin Blanc

P1000298 (800 x 450).jpg

P1000299 (800 x 450).jpg

P09 (800 x 450).jpg

Edited by Vin Blanc

This is ours, sadly a product no longer available to the best of my knowledge. Ours is at least 15 years old. It also is IMO an easy DIY project.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fast-Finder-Satellite-Easy-Receiver/dp/B0045D8S8E

As I said earlier, if it becomes very windy then I simply place a water container as a weight on the upper surface of the mounting bracket.  It starts with the big advantage of not being lanky and too prone to the wind. I have fitted an "Easy Find" LNB as we now have an Avtex TV with that technology

Very Impressed JTQ,  Makes my set-up look a bit "Heath Robinson".

On the downside of course, the dish size wouldn't get you very far through France (south), but still perfect for the UK!

Vin Blanc

vin blanc how about your floor mount pole screwed into a flagstone? weights not really an issue for me, i would just chuck it in the back of the pick up.

so the jockey wheel mount? surely it should be as good as anything as long as your facing south?

that looks well smart JTQ

Edited by chris76

14 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

Very Impressed JTQ,  Makes my set-up look a bit "Heath Robinson".

On the downside of course, the dish size wouldn't get you very far through France (south), but still perfect for the UK!

Vin Blanc

Worked fine in the Lot and Dordogne around Martel this summer gone.  In all but thunder clouds, but they would challenge anything I suspect.

An afternoon in my workshop and buying their 78 CM dish ought to sort me for all of France?

https://www.triax.uk/products/satellite/satellite-dishes/steel-dishes/td78-std-ral-7016-100-pcs-bulk-pack-wing-nut

Edited by JTQ

Best thing I ever did was when we first went telly- caravanning with a Goodmans 10" mains/12V CRT unit. I bought a pre-programmed receiver (€55) and 60cm dish+LNB (€30) at Leroy Merlin in France and a worklight tripod without the lights at BricoMan for €11. That TV only had video and audio input so it wasn't until we replaced that set with an LCD with SCART that I discovered that the receiver emitted a tone when in tuning mode that changed in pitch as the signal improved. I still carry and use that receiver for dish alignment - even in a poor signal area like Burgundy right on the limits of Astra F it still only took me about 20 mins to get it set up, usually it takes me less than 10! Its a darned sight easier than trying to do it with a deaf and slow Sky box.

(At that time €1 was about 63p.)

1 hour ago, JTQ said:

Worked fine in the Lot and Dordogne around Martel this summer gone.  In all but thunder clouds, but they would challenge anything I suspect.

An afternoon in my workshop and buying their 78 CM dish ought to sort me for all of France?

https://www.triax.uk/products/satellite/satellite-dishes/steel-dishes/td78-std-ral-7016-100-pcs-bulk-pack-wing-nut

Been a few years since I caravanned in France but from what I've picked up on the forums recently, even an 85cm dish will start to struggle down near the Spanish borders.

I remember once parking up near the Tarne Gorge and receiving every Freesat channel with only a 40cm dish!

Those were the days!

Vin Blanc

On 07/03/2019 at 23:15, chris76 said:

I’ll try to dig out some pics that show how I started to develop my steel plate and pole idea eventually ending up with the low level mount and dish pictured.

P1000232.jpg.4c06df6fe86efea0b368d1191ee0735f.jpg

P07.thumb.JPG.1bbec32620109037b5b2f884d820c114.JPG

366021344_P09(800x450).jpg.8814cbcd74c54d501548ea0570e56b0d.jpg

P1000236.jpg

P1000237.jpg

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

22 hours ago, chris76 said:

vin blanc how about your floor mount pole screwed into a flagstone? weights not really an issue for me, i would just chuck it in the back of the pick up.

so the jockey wheel mount? surely it should be as good as anything as long as your facing south?

A flagstone?  You’re joking of course! Not even in the back of my then 3,2L V6 4 x 4 would I dream of it!

If you're not overbothered about weight, how about an oil drum filled with concrete with the dish fixed to the top of a scaffold pole sticking up in the air?

Mounting at high level should reduce the distance to the satellite!      :lol:

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

I like that flat plate idea with the screw in, did you knock that up yourself

On 07/03/2019 at 23:15, chris76 said:

Installing it like that you might as well have a fixed dish on the roof. With a dish on a tripod and 20m of cable you have many more options in van parking.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Installing it like that you might as well have a fixed dish on the roof. With a dish on a tripod and 20m of cable you have many more options in van parking.

That's why I moved away from pinning down the steel plate beneath one of the "steadies".

Being able to re-locate the dish to avoid obstacles blocking "line of sight" makes life a lot easier!

2 hours ago, chris76 said:

I like that flat plate idea with the screw in, did you knock that up yourself

Not into welding so I drew it up on paper then had a local metalwork company make it for me. 

Note: I supplied the nut and bolt!     :D

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

19 hours ago, Woodentop said:

yeah but it would be neater if your facing south

anyway weve just returned from a trip last night i managed to grt the sky q box set up properly myself for the first time with my primesat finder. it took me about ten minutes of messing about with both the meter and the app on my phone, so happy days.

it was blowing a gale last night too so i tried my jockey wheel bracket only to find the tube was too wide for my dish coupler:rolleyes:

anyway the tripod worked a treat

Parking a bike next to your dish😂😂

Not had that happen-yet!

1 hour ago, ancell said:

Parking a bike next to your dish😂😂

Not had that happen-yet!

There's always a first time Ancell and here's the proof.

I couldn't get line of sight over the roof of his camper from low level and didn't have the tripod with me on this occasion.

Not to worry, I also had Freeview back-up via the caravan aerial on the roof of my van (to the left), and not sure if you can see the 600 ft high transmitter in the photo but it was only about 4 miles away.

1281246049_P1000579(2).thumb.JPG.a394e0435d78599d2c015322e06b909c.JPG

P1000577.thumb.JPG.a45d32d66c7c5ec3f7f8c08be38e34e6.JPG

The camper went home two days later!

Vin Blanc

Your photo of the dimensionally challenged gent reminds me that we Brits are the worst dressed nation on earth😂😂.

Even the German Neckerman tourists look smarter than us.

Back on topic I only use the low mounting for our £26 Sky 40cm dish on beach pitches.

Use the sat tripod pegged with bungee opposite LNB on most sites.

Sky dish works no problem on C&MH Brora site.

I can only admire the time and trouble some go to in order to watch UK TV abroad.

Really not necessary you know. - honest.

I watched a guy a few years ago hold a sat dish to his chest and walk around the van.  Window open with wife inside ready to stop him if he got lucky.

So far as I remember he gave up!  I wonder if he ever made it? 

And this is true - not made up.