Morning!

So, the lovely weather at the weekend prompted van collection and a few days of spring cleaning, Id previously washed the green from the sides of the van but it had left quite a powdery coating and plenty of missed patches.

As I had her back on the drive I decided to give the snow foam lance a try that I use for the cars but took the decision to only leave it on for 10 minutes before agitating with a soft brush and rinsing off.

In terms of time, 4 Minutes to apply the snow foam, 10 minutes to do its work followed by 20 minutes of "brush work" before a 10 minutes rinse down. All in all very please with the result, I suffer with back issues so there was no scrubbing or any real amount of elbow grease. Not sure if others have considered using (couldn't find a thread) but worked brilliantly well. Now just to tackle the black streaks!

Snow Foam Used: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GU1YYA0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a few before, during a afters! (Excuse my son chipping in doing his bit with the feet!)

3 minutes ago, matthewantonyjohnson said:

IMG-20190223-WA0000.jpeg

20190224_122429.jpg

20190224_140405.jpg

Try Rhino Goo, brilliant product, just washed our van, like new.  Spray it on, leave for three minutes and hose it off. (not with pressure washer) no effort and takes little time

Edited by Les Medes
  • Like 2

I was told that there is different strengths of snow foam , some makes are quite aggressive or harsh. Think these ones are more for trucks etc. 

There is snow foam and there's TFRs, TFRs (traffic film remover) can remove any wax as well as road grime, snow foam tends to be gentler if mixed correctly.

I use a TFR designed for caravan cleaning, ok for the car wheels but I wouldn't use it on the caravan unless I was going to deep clean and re-wax. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Odd days said:

I was told that there is different strengths of snow foam , some makes are quite aggressive or harsh. Think these ones are more for trucks etc. 

The one I linked is the one use frequently on the cars, one of them has a fabric roof so I needed to be careful. I decided that if it was OK on material for 20 minutes then 10 on the van wouldn't do any harm. Agree though, there are some cheaper more aggressive products out there that I would steer clear of!

13 hours ago, Paul_B said:

There is snow foam and there's TFRs, TFRs (traffic film remover) can remove any wax as well as road grime, snow foam tends to be gentler if mixed correctly.

I use a TFR designed for caravan cleaning, ok for the car wheels but I wouldn't use it on the caravan unless I was going to deep clean and re-wax. 

The van does have patches of a powdery finish, only a few, they were there prior to the snow foam use though, weather permitting I intend to wax / polish this weekend when away at Sandringham for our first outing! should keep me busy.

23 hours ago, matthewantonyjohnson said:

The van does have patches of a powdery finish, only a few, they were there prior to the snow foam use though, weather permitting I intend to wax / polish this weekend when away at Sandringham for our first outing! should keep me busy.

Your side panel issues are the single most common problem we see are deal with all the time.  The Bailey side panels account for around 30% of the Caravans we Restore, that's how common the issue is.  There are reasons for this, but it can be fixed.  If you scroll to the bottom of my blog page in the link at the bottom of my post, you will see one we Restored and blogged, plus a bit further up, another one that shows you how to identify paint repairs. 

It's a unique problem that effects all the pre alu-tech models.  The Senator often looks worse below the Gold pin stripe, but it effects the full sides.  Front and Rear panels are ABS which is a far better quality panel than GRP, and tends to hold it's lustre far longer.  

Be very careful what products you use.  A wax won't do anything other than make it look far worse in the form of a very patchy finish.  Other commonly used products like t-cut are extremely dangerous to use, and will remove the paint in seconds. 

Lastly, anyone else reading this with this problem, bare in mind that professional companies like us, will not take on jobs that have been attempted beforehand by someone else, and left things looking worse.  Simple reason being, it's an extremely delicate job with very little tolerance to remove the damaged/oxidised surface and bring the sides up like new.  Once this has been attempted and failed, the tolerance we needed to do the job properly has been removed, we have nothing left to work with, meaning the chance of going through the paint is far too high for us to rectify the work.  

Edited by Tourershine
  • Like 1

Just to show you how they should look, here's a couple of Senator Series 6's we've restored. 

They should have a glassy consistent finish.  This isn't a temporary fix, it's permanent if cared for in the right way, with the correct products. 

IMG_3869.JPG

20160504_111819-2.jpg

• Like 3

On any caravan the biggest hassle is cleaning the roof even if you are young and fit!  LOL!  :D

18 hours ago, Tourershine said:

Just to show you how they should look, here's a couple of Senator Series 6's we've restored. 

They should have a glassy consistent finish.  This isn't a temporary fix, it's permanent if cared for in the right way, with the correct products. 

IMG_3869.JPG

20160504_111819-2.jpg

That looks great. Very impressive 

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:47, Les Medes said:

Try Rhino Goo, brilliant product, just washed our van, like new.  Spray it on, leave for three minutes and hose it off. (not with pressure washer) no effort and takes little time

Rhino Goo is a motor bike cleaner, isn't it a bit harsh for the 'van ?

33 minutes ago, Robbido said:

Rhino Goo is a motor bike cleaner, isn't it a bit harsh for the 'van ?

No, I have used it for donkeys of years with no problems whatsoever, it is a similar product to "Muck Off" which I have also tried but nothing beats Rhino Goo

Looked at the Rhino Goo web site and in the product section there is one specifically for caravans

image.thumb.png.e5d90810b534c5da49eeddb1dd79b4eb.png

Might give this a try

Cheers

Paul

On 27/02/2019 at 08:55, Tourershine said:

IMG_3869.JPG

20160504_111819-2.jpg

Suitably Impressed, you have my attention.

So, the big question, and feel free to send the answer to my inbox, I appreciate every job is different; how much? and would / could you also replace the stickers at what cost? I may be interested...

Cheers,

Matt