Sign in to follow this  
Wayward Pilgrim

Buccaneer Barracuda

I don't buy the fact that they had problems with grp, though I did read of one or two issues, I believe it was cost cutting. The wall boards in my old Crusader were poor too. My Swift is 1787kg empty so the weight is somewhere without the levelling system and underfloor heating. You pays your money and you make your choice, I did.

On 10/04/2019 at 10:20, Durbanite said:

Possible the main chassis is still BPW as we have the BPW wheel carrier and not the ALKO spare wheel carrier.  We do have the ALKO hitch and wheel locks.

Elddis started using an Alko chassis on Buccaneer for the 2018 season.

Also they use a fabricated spare wheel carrier of in house design

21 hours ago, Benny65 said:

Elddis started using an Alko chassis on Buccaneer for the 2018 season.

Also they use a fabricated spare wheel carrier of in house design

The spare wheel carrier is identical to the one that was on the BPW chassis.  I am of the opinion that the chassis is still a BPW chassis, but has ALKO axle and wheel hubs and ALKO hitch.  After all when ALKO took over BPW they would not have dumped possibly millions of pounds worth of chassis's plus the equipment to manufacture them.  The aluminium sides are not prone to cracking like the GRP sides, front and backs.  Just to clarify we had a 2016 and have now a 2018 Buccaneer.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

The spare wheel carrier is identical to the one that was on the BPW chassis.  I am of the opinion that the chassis is still a BPW chassis, but has ALKO axle and wheel hubs and ALKO hitch.  After all when ALKO took over BPW they would not have dumped possibly millions of pounds worth of chassis's plus the equipment to manufacture them.  The aluminium sides are not prone to cracking like the GRP sides, front and backs.  Just to clarify we had a 2016 and have now a 2018 Buccaneer.

You may be correct although you have made an assumption that the BPW chassis had a BPW spare wheel carrier.

Just for clarity what does your BPW spare wheel carrier look like. Is it a steel wire frame which has a hinge at the rear near the chassis or a  tubular aluminium extruded type.

May be steel tube not aluminium

20 hours ago, Benny65 said:

You may be correct although you have made an assumption that the BPW chassis had a BPW spare wheel carrier.

Just for clarity what does your BPW spare wheel carrier look like. Is it a steel wire frame which has a hinge at the rear near the chassis or a  tubular aluminium extruded type.

Not sure except I know that the one on the 2016 is identical to the one on the 2018 caravan.  It has a very easy to use clip that needs to be lifted for the spare wheel to drop down and pull out. 

Posted (edited)
On 13/04/2019 at 10:03, Durbanite said:

Not sure except I know that the one on the 2016 is identical to the one on the 2018 caravan.  It has a very easy to use clip that needs to be lifted for the spare wheel to drop down and pull out. 

Doc1.pdfDoc2.pdf

The wire one is the Elddis design , the other is the BPW one, which looks very much like the ALKO but this is from 2015.

I would think it a price lead decision to use their own. 

Edited by Benny65

3 hours ago, Benny65 said:

Doc1.pdf 149.21 kB · 2 downloads Doc2.pdf 163.77 kB · 1 download

The wire one is the Elddis design , the other is the BPW one, which looks very much like the ALKO but this is from 2015.

I would think it a price lead decision to use their own. 

Then it would be the Elddis one as a lot easier to access the spare wheel than the BPW(ALKO) one.

On 15/04/2019 at 10:55, Durbanite said:

Then it would be the Elddis one as a lot easier to access the spare wheel than the BPW(ALKO) one.

I agree. The BPW/ALKO type seem to be over complicated.

Picking up our Barracuda a week on Friday (17th May 2019).  That's probably a week or two earlier than I had expected.  So far so good then.  

I will write up a review of the first impressions when we pick her up and stay the first weekend.  

Picked up our Barracuda on Friday from Raymond James.

Are we pleased .............absolutely.  Did we have any faults..................No none.   Was the van delivered on schedule............yes exactly when we were told when we ordered it.  Is there a lack of storage space............Yes its very limited.    Does the shelf on the kitchen work space annoy us..........No we actually like it and found it useful.  What did we enjoy.......... Lovely quality features internally, the self levelling system is fantastic.  The heating system is stunning with hot water that gets very hot very quickly.  I read a lot of people who knock British engineering, well those guys will be disappointed with my review thus far.  On Friday night we stayed at a local site and another couple had taken delivery of their van the day before us.  They had a few issues, door alignment on some cabinets and handle on the front had sprung.  Raymond James fixed it all for the, were they disappointed ...........No they loved theirs just as we loved ours.  Are the tyres Chinese?  I suspect they are but to be fair they gave us no issues and we won't be towing it very far.  So in summary, the van was delivered on time, on spec and on price now that's the definition of quality.  Raymond James, were they the right dealer, absolutely yes, we'll go back in 3 years to renew this van

16 hours ago, Wayward Pilgrim said:

Picked up our Barracuda on Friday from Raymond James.

Are we pleased .............absolutely.  Did we have any faults..................No none.   Was the van delivered on schedule............yes exactly when we were told when we ordered it.  Is there a lack of storage space............Yes its very limited.    Does the shelf on the kitchen work space annoy us..........No we actually like it and found it useful.  What did we enjoy.......... Lovely quality features internally, the self levelling system is fantastic.  The heating system is stunning with hot water that gets very hot very quickly.  I read a lot of people who knock British engineering, well those guys will be disappointed with my review thus far.  On Friday night we stayed at a local site and another couple had taken delivery of their van the day before us.  They had a few issues, door alignment on some cabinets and handle on the front had sprung.  Raymond James fixed it all for the, were they disappointed ...........No they loved theirs just as we loved ours.  Are the tyres Chinese?  I suspect they are but to be fair they gave us no issues and we won't be towing it very far.  So in summary, the van was delivered on time, on spec and on price now that's the definition of quality.  Raymond James, were they the right dealer, absolutely yes, we'll go back in 3 years to renew this van

Nice to read a positive review and hope you have many nights of enjoyment in your caravan.