Sign in to follow this  
baddon

Fridge not working on gas

Hi serviced the caravan today and everything is now checked and working EXCEPT the fridge on gas.

Its a 2012 Adria with a Thetford 3 way auto detecting fridge with freezer compartment.

Its clicking and then you can hear the burner operating till the clicking stops and then the gas shuts off and goes out.

I have removed the vents, igniter cover and hovered out (little to no debris - last year I had the same issue but a good cleaning out of the cobwebs and dust sorted this out)

When I turn it off and on again, the cycle of clicking and blue gas flame at the end of the gas tube repeats BUT as soon as the clicking stops the gas shuts off and the flame goes out.

So I know the following:-

Gas is working (it does light but wont stay light)

Igniter is working (it lights)

The flame is very clean blue with only the very slightest tips with some orange, all off the available gas slits are burning equally.

After ignition cycle stops the gas goes out and then it shuts off OR the gas shuts off causing the flame to go out.

Possible problem - 

Possibly the solenoid is closing of the gas as a sensor (is there a flame sensor?) is not working correctly

OR the flame is somehow not able to stay lit once the igniter stops firing and the sensor is rightly shutting of the gas.

I have checked for debris and am happy its clean in there. Whats next please?

Get a Thetford approved man to service it ;)

Most likely a fault on the pcb, get an engineer to verify and fit new.

1 hour ago, Brecon said:

Most likely a fault on the pcb, get an engineer to verify and fit new.

If the case is this likely to be expensive? bit strapped and first two bookings are for EHU sites.

9 minutes ago, baddon said:

If the case is this likely to be expensive?

Yep !, around £144 plus fitting.

14 minutes ago, Brecon said:

Yep !, around £144 plus fitting.

OUCH......

OR! Find a local Independent caravan service engineer.  The guy I use would be able to fix it but there's a stretch of water twix me and thee :D but from experience 3 way fridges are a common source of faults ( my experience has been with Dometic but I've seen post about other makes) .

The circuit board looks one likely cause but my best guess would be the thermocouple (or similar) which in all the gas devices I've had ( boilers, gas fires, etc), sits in the flame, senses the heat and keeps the gas solenoid open. This is not an expensive part and if you've got a local "indi" it shouldn't be toooo expensive ! 

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/cooling/caravan-fridge/thetford-fridge-and-spare-parts/thetford-n80-fridge-spare-parts/thermocouple-assembly-for-thetford-fridges

Jim 

Edited by JamesF
typo

11 minutes ago, JamesF said:

OR! Find a local Independent caravan service engineer.  The guy I use would be able to fix it but there's a stretch of water twix me and thee :D but from experience 3 way fridges are a common source of faults ( my experience has been with Dometic but I've seen post about other makes) .

The circuit board looks one likely cause but my best guess would be the thermocouple (or similar) which in all the gas devices I've had ( boilers, gas fires, etc), sits in the flame, senses the heat and keeps the gas solenoid open. This is not an expensive part and if you've got a local "indi" it shouldn't be toooo expensive ! 

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/cooling/caravan-fridge/thetford-fridge-and-spare-parts/thetford-n80-fridge-spare-parts/thermocouple-assembly-for-thetford-fridges

Jim 

Jim,

Thanks. I know of a couple of these independents who have seen many recommendations for in the CCC DA's Facebook pages so will give one a ring.

Fingers crossed when I give him all the info he can reassure me its not an arm and leg, just a pinky!!

Thanks again.

You should be able to see the end of the thermocouple in the flame, they sometimes get bent out of the way and if you have been cleaning in there you might of inadvertently moved it.

Ian

• Thanks 1

In case you haven't come across the term, the thermocouple is also known as a flame failure device.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to the last three posters, it certainly sounds like my issue.

I will go have a look and see if I have knocked it out of the way as mentioned with me hoovering in there I may have knocked it out of location. Here's hoping its that simple.

Andrew

I have been out and had a check, there seems to be no separate thermocouple as per the link.

Here is what is in there. I am guessing the flame sensor is either inside the gas delivery tube OR is combined with the igniter.

If the former I will need someone who knows what they are doing, if the second would be happy to change myself.

fridge issue.jpg

Fridge is a Thetford N97

Have you checked the flame is not a slightly blocked jet so it does not produce enough heat from the flame to keep the thermocouple operating .

Catches a number of people out .

Dave

2 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Have you checked the flame is not a slightly blocked jet so it does not produce enough heat from the flame to keep the thermocouple operating .

Catches a number of people out .

Dave

Flame looks strong to me, but as never checked before no idea how it should look.

If I took a picture can you advise?

The FFD is an integral part of the igniter, and yours looks to be in exactly the right place.

It is unusual for there to be a problem with that part as it has no moving parts and simply sends an electrical signal back to the PCB and subsequently to the gas valve to stay open.

It is most likely to be a breakdown in connectivity on the PCB between the incoming signal and the gas valve.

Edited by Brecon

Be careful with these so called caravan engineers, in the last 12 months I’ve had

1. supposedly trained and well regarded idiots telling me I needed a replacement fridge - north of £1200, another said a new heat exchanger £600, neither of them took anything apart. I decided it was a control circuit issue and started with the temperature sensor in the fridge which cost me £29.95, fridge works fine now, temperature is controllable and it doesn’t ice up.

2. Truma ultraheat failed to light on gas, caravan idiot says whole new gas valve and safety cut out required - £180 plus fitting, I took it apart - soldered the igniter wire back on, called out my newly found caravan Dave the godsend retired service engineer to fit the flue seal and do a drop test - £20!

Just saying, you could always guage their opinions - you are after all paying the call out fee, make your own mind up or if they suck their teeth and say you’ll need a new PCB mate - just buy one and fit it yourself.