I Want One!

Guest Karl

I think Hobby caravans are gorgeous and have always wanted one but don't like the door on the 'wrong' side.

Have they bought out an 'English' version yet?

Our door is on the wrong side too its not a hobby (next one will be though) and it really isn't a problem at all. The only time it could be classed as being a little awkward is when we stop in a layby for a brew (you just have to look for the ones that are off the busy main roads)

I really wouldn't let the door thing put you off, go for it you will not be disapointed

Cheers

Paul

Is it worth checking with insurance companies. I seem to remember a thread on the old forum relating to some companies not insuring or loading foreign vans because of the door issue. Aren't some European manufacturers now suppying to the UK with nearside door? :)

I think Hobby caravans are gorgeous and have always wanted one but don't like the door on the 'wrong' side.

483[/snapback]

It's no different from taking a UK caravan abroad for your holiday.

Normally the only concern is where to place the caravan on the pitch to allow an awning to be put up easily. A fairly minor concern really!

One other thing to be aware of is that if you park in a layby, the caravan entrance door will be on the offside - nearest to the trafifc - so you have to take extra care.

Regards,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Some insurance company's would not insure our van :angry: but then many others had no problem with it. :D

Insurance is always a case of shoping around and in the end the CC insured us for 358 first van brand new, on a new for old policy with a 1k equipment. I phoned around on a british spec van and the quotes were no different so at least I knew that I wasn't being loaded for having a German Van. Hobbys were just the same as I asked when insuring mine, I wanted to know for the future, some would some wouldn't.

Like stated go onto the continent and the door is on right the side. The door really isn't a problem, people holiday here from the continent no problem and you see more and more continental vans being sold here.

Paul :mellow:

I am always a bit surprised that Hobby don't make a van for the UK market but often their production runs are sold out with quite long lead times so I suppose why should they disrupt their production line. There are several German brands making caravans for the UK market, perhaps the most famous being Hymer.

On the point about the refusal of insurance. This may be something to do with the width of the van in question. 2. 3 metres is allowed but 2. 5 is not ( unless you have the correct vehicle). I have heard mention that twin axle premiums are loaded because they seem more at risk from theft.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Some insurance companies will not insure twin axle caravans, full stop. Some of these state that they offer lower premiums because than those that do insure twin axle vans load all caravan premiums to pay for the added risk of twin axle theft.

The NFU seem to be amongst the best for no hassle insurance for all vans.

I also read in another thread that Hobby were in greater danger of theft because of their popularity among certain travelling communities.

Personally I like their build quality but the other half didn't like the lack of facilities compared with UK built vans. I believe that Hobby and other European manufacturers are addressing this issue with UK ranges. :)

My parents had a 'van with the door on the 'wrong' side, in the 1970s (a cygnet) and we had no problems with it. It did look a little odd parked the wrong way round on some sites, but at least it was easy to spot in the row! :D

Go for it!

My large single-axle Hobby, with door on 'wrong' side, is easily positioned to perfection using the chassis mounted motor-mover. Makes life a piece of cake pitching any way you like.

If it suits you go for it. There is no 'one size fits all' in caravans.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hobbybod

483[/snapback]

Karl, Hobby do not produce any anglicised 'vans with the door on the UKside, and are very unlikely to do so, given the sales in UK compared to the Continent.

As others have said; 't ain't a problem. As the 'lounges' are often to the rear of the 'van, like Keith (Hi Keith), I twiddle it round with the motor mover if it's really necessary.

Got my first van last oct. and after seeing Hobby at caravan show last weekend it convinced me even more that its a must have. Caravans sited all year round so towing won`t be an issue the only problem is now we`ve seen the new range i`ve sort of fell out with my van. Can`t see the point of paying 21k for a top of the line Bessacarr when you can have a great big humongus Hobby. How they make them for the money is beyond me

I have to say, being pitched next to a van such as a Hobby with an owner who doesn't care which side their door is can turn out to be extremely in your face as the doors face doors and awnings face awnings. Certainly a good way to make new friends though :lol: Hobbybod, next you'll be telling us you shop at Lidl ;)

Guest Hobbybod
I have to say, being pitched next to a van such as a Hobby with an owner who doesn't care which side their door is can turn out to be extremely in your face as the doors face doors and awnings face  awnings. Certainly a good way to make new friends though :lol: Hobbybod, next you'll be telling us you shop at Lidl ;)

7742[/snapback]

Hi matt, alright, you sussed me! :P

Not been to Lidl this week, but I did most of my shopping over the hols at Aldi and Tchibo; bloomin' good bargains.

Last time I pitched awning to awning, at New Year, the next 'awning' had a certain Kent Traffic Cop in it, so that was nice!

Keep chipping away,

• 2 weeks later...

483[/snapback]

Its only on the wrong side over here in the UK ! no probs when on hols abroad. .

We are about to sell a 540UK Prestige, superb build quality + extras & HobbyAwning. Built May 2003, like NEW used for 2 x summer hols & few weekends only. Are you interested ???

• 1 month later...
Its only on the wrong side over here in the UK !  no probs when on hols abroad. .

We are about to sell a 540UK Prestige, superb build quality + extras & HobbyAwning.   Built May 2003, like NEW used for 2 x summer hols & few weekends only.   Are you interested ???

10987[/snapback]

Hi

Why are you selling the Hobby? Also how long is it? What weight? What is the layout? And have you any photos. Lastly where are you, AND how much is it??????

Thanks

Cindy-E