Jump to content
Llew

Caravan insurance due

Recommended Posts

Our caravan insurance needs renewing on the 1st March. It is currently insured with Towergate and their renewal price is a staggering £420, up from £258 last year and no claims made.

I've had a few quotes, Lifesure £405, Caravan guard £340, CMC £298 and Frank Pickles £268.

Just done a quote with one of the advertisers on this site, Ever sure, their quote was £220. Is anybody else on here insured with them? I was going to insure with the CMC because there wasn't much difference in price between them and Frank Pickles, so any thoughts/recommendations would be really appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are otherwise happy with your existing insurer, give then a ring and  tell them you are looking elsewhere because of the price. It is quite possible that they will match one of the lower quotes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CMC no longer sells insurance for caravans but sells caravan cover. Make sure you understand  the difference before buying their "insurance".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did caravan quotes from Towergate was £376 crazy price Adrian Flux was best £190.45 New for old same as Towergate quoted on but such a difference in the price 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Stevan said:

If you are otherwise happy with your existing insurer, give then a ring and  tell them you are looking elsewhere because of the price. It is quite possible that they will match one of the lower quotes.

I was about to say the same thing and it's so annoying that they can't give you a reasonable quote in the first place.  This is also the time to remind people not to have an auto renewal. 

40 minutes ago, AndersG said:

CMC no longer sells insurance for caravans but sells caravan cover. Make sure you understand  the difference before buying their "insurance".

what is the difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, joanie said:

This is also the time to remind people not to have an auto renewal. 

I always make sure that my insurances of all kinds are on auto renew. Why not? I can always cancel when I get the quote anyway. On auto renew worst case scenario I don't bother to check (unlikely) and am down £100 perhaps. Without auto renew worst case scenario is I miss renewal date, need to make a claim and find that I have no insurance. I know which I prefer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My broker makes sure I get the best price, if its higher than expected they phone the insurance firm to get it down again :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank Pickles was mentioned above the salesman of my new caravan is with him and recommended me to get a quote, so I will at next renewal time.

 

What is the above statement about CMC not being insurance any more and being cover will someone explain please as I just upgraded mine for this new caravan for the rest of the current year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received my renewal from Towergate and the renewal price has increased 70% from last year,

I haven't made a claim and my caravan hasn't moved an inch in the last year [seasonal] ,

 Crazy crazy or what ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Frank Pickles was mentioned above the salesman of my new caravan is with him and recommended me to get a quote, so I will at next renewal time.

 

What is the above statement about CMC not being insurance any more and being cover will someone explain please as I just upgraded mine for this new caravan for the rest of the current year.

 

Raised here .

Explained here .

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/insurance/caravan-insurance/do-i-need-caravan-insurance/

Edited by CommanderDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just getting some quotes for a new caravan. £480 from Towergate and £292 from Caravanguard. Still looking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is due soon so following. Have been with Caravan guard from the start (4 years )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had our first van,Bailey Orion,insured with Caravan Guard and they were very reasonable,when we came to insure our second van,Bailey Unicorn the premium went through the roof,£200 more than CMC and Caravan Guard wouldn't shift.

 

Last renewal was looking around and checked Frank Pickles,competitive premium but I noticed that the awning wasn't covered for weather damage which was a no no for me so it might be worth checking before buying.

 

Just had another look at FP,they seem very keen to give you a quote without being able to see policy details.

 

Ian

 

 

Edited by Tandem Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Easy T said:

I always make sure that my insurances of all kinds are on auto renew. Why not? I can always cancel when I get the quote anyway. On auto renew worst case scenario I don't bother to check (unlikely) and am down £100 perhaps. Without auto renew worst case scenario is I miss renewal date, need to make a claim and find that I have no insurance. I know which I prefer

I understand what you are saying, that you use the auto renewal as a safety net, but as there are two sides to any argument , I'm going to disagree with you and I'll give you a good example. I have recently done the car insurance , the quote was  £250 more than last year and by going on a comparison site I saved £100 on what I paid last year, so that works out at £350 better off than auto renewing. I use a calendar as a reminder , though I know others use the internet and as you say you get the renewal quote anyway to remind you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've started to look around for insurance as the delivery date approaches, and was shocked by the CMC quote (>£500), but there is caravan insurance available now through Compare the Market, which when restricted to UK only came out through Legal & General at about half that.  This is with no NCD, as it's our first caravan...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adrian Flux has been advertising quite often resently offering Caravan Insurance, their main business is normally for Classic Cars, maybe worth having a peep. I'm  currently with CMC, but will get a quote from them in July. I understand from Classic car owners that they are a reputable company 

Edited by Les Medes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, joanie said:

I understand what you are saying, that you use the auto renewal as a safety net, but as there are two sides to any argument , I'm going to disagree with you and I'll give you a good example. I have recently done the car insurance , the quote was  £250 more than last year and by going on a comparison site I saved £100 on what I paid last year, so that works out at £350 better off than auto renewing. I use a calendar as a reminder , though I know others use the internet and as you say you get the renewal quote anyway to remind you. 

Like you we would never auto renew.  I noticed that all comparison sites set you up for auto renew and you have no choice and need to phone to cancel the auto renew.  Auto renew is there to catch out the unwary which is why the price always increases by a good percentage.  You then have the hassle of getting your money back from the outfit.  I rather wait until I get the renewal notice and then start shopping around.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Like you we would never auto renew.  I noticed that all comparison sites set you up for auto renew and you have no choice and need to phone to cancel the auto renew.  Auto renew is there to catch out the unwary which is why the price always increases by a good percentage.  You then have the hassle of getting your money back from the outfit.  I rather wait until I get the renewal notice and then start shopping around.

 

Ahhh, 'auto-renew' the best con the ins. co's. have come up with. I consider it somewhat underhand, or even immoral, to say the least & not even remotely justifiable. If it's actually required than surely it is simple enough to select?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, micktheshed said:

 

Ahhh, 'auto-renew' the best con the ins. co's. have come up with. I consider it somewhat underhand, or even immoral, to say the least & not even remotely justifiable. If it's actually required than surely it is simple enough to select?

That and agents implying that they are brokers, using phrases like "we have consulted our panel of insurers and this is their best quote", implying that they have done  a full price comparison when they have only checked maybe four insurers who are all subsidiaries of the one company who also runs the agency. The voice of experience!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said in my OP, the cheapest quote I've had so far has been from Eversure insurance that advertise on this site.

However, when I had another look, I had a warning in my browser saying that the site was not safe so do not share personal or bank details as they could be at risk. Think I'll be giving them a miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Llew said:

As I said in my OP, the cheapest quote I've had so far has been from Eversure insurance that advertise on this site.

However, when I had another look, I had a warning in my browser saying that the site was not safe so do not share personal or bank details as they could be at risk. Think I'll be giving them a miss.

Many perfectly reputable companies use relatively insecure websites as a front end, just switching to a higher level of security for the parts of the site that contain personal data. No need to be overly concerned as long as the padlock symbol appears before you start entering confidential information.

In fact, applying excessive security at too early a stage in the process would prevent it from being open and easy to use for obtaining initial quotes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lifesure last year was £302 for about £34k cover.

It's the same stately dance every year. Wait for quote. Do comparison test as "Arry Smiff" with new van, then phone current insurer and beat them down if the difference is enough to bother about.

Don't jump to decry the auto renewal punters. Its their laissez-faire attitude that gives the insurers the margins to accommodate us more wily foxes.

I hope.

Good luck.

Do feedback your results as it helps us all.

GB.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Many perfectly reputable companies use relatively insecure websites as a front end, just switching to a higher level of security for the parts of the site that contain personal data. No need to be overly concerned as long as the padlock symbol appears before you start entering confidential information.

In fact, applying excessive security at too early a stage in the process would prevent it from being open and easy to use for obtaining initial quotes.

 

Appreciate that with regards to the padlock and https, but this was the only site it happened on. All other sites had the https and padlock when entering personal data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the major insurers don't use the "Comparison" sites, because they won't pay the broker. That means the Comparison sites don't get a quote from them.

Aviva (the old Norwich Union) is one, and I have found them to be more than competitive, plus they have a  good reputation. But I don't know if they cover caravans.

 

The moral here, is don't just look on Comparison sites - go direct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2019 at 19:44, Tandem Man said:

Had our first van,Bailey Orion,insured with Caravan Guard and they were very reasonable,when we came to insure our second van,Bailey Unicorn the premium went through the roof,£200 more than CMC and Caravan Guard wouldn't shift.

 

Last renewal was looking around and checked Frank Pickles,competitive premium but I noticed that the awning wasn't covered for weather damage which was a no no for me so it might be worth checking before buying.

 

Just had another look at FP,they seem very keen to give you a quote without being able to see policy details.

 

Ian

 

 

 

You are correct about Frank Pickles, I just checked them out again. They do offer competitive quotes and awnings are covered, but not for storm damage as you rightly said. That's another one off the list.

Edited by Llew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...